What's new

Does Anyone Else Here Wet Shave, DE or Straight Razor

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
The topic came up a work today and I had a couple people look at me like I was crazy. Maybe because I have a full beard? But I still shave my neck every other day.

My fiance bought me a starter kit (which came in an Oliva V Belicoso box *bonus*) and a Parker DE razor a few years ago as a Valentines Day gift. To this day, still one of the best gifts I have ever received. I was a little intimidated at first but once I got the hang of it, it was the best shave I've ever had. You couldn't pay me to go back to using a Mach 3. The only thing I've swapped out is the Boars Hair Brush that it came with for a Best Badger Brush.

Just curious if anyone else is into wet shaving. To me it's becoming another one of those lost arts like smoking cigars, drinking scotch, tuning a carburetor, making a camp fire and all the other manly shit we do that makes us feel like men.

Here's a cool pick of the kit I got and a new shaving mug I'm looking at.

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
I just started wet shaving. Got a Merkur 180 and some merkur blades. Just ordered some bic blades as a review I read leads me to think I might like them a bit better. I've been using Van Der Hagan soap but I've ordered some Proraso, although I prefer Bigelow and Jack Black. I love it, best shave I've ever had, and I don't rush through it, I enjoy it. I've found a lot of help here: http://www.shaving101.com/

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is something that I have been looking into for quite some time, I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I don't like to shave, and would prefer not too, however, it's way too hot in the summer, and I just can't stand the itch from the humidity and sweat. When I go to get my hair cut, I usually indulge in a proper shave, and always love it.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Parker Butterfly DE with a brush and my Talylor of Old Bond Street soap, pre-oil, and aftershave... I actually ditched my beard so I could shave "more."

Before I found wet shaving
Beard.jpg

After
Beardless.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Dang Sean, you clean up pretty good:)
There has not been a razor of any kind touch me for many many years, right now I could fill in for any ZZ Top guys or a guest star on Duck Dynasty. My hair is about 4" from my belt and my beard is below my shirt pocket and I am 6' 8" tall. I already did 4 locks of love cuts, but the beard stays. So to answer your question, sorry but no.

Rating - 98.7%
91   1   2
I started shaving with a DE razor almost 2 years ago. Best shave I've ever had. I was the same at first, pretty intimidated. Had nicks and cuts all the time, now that I got the hang of it it's great. Would never go back to the disposable razor.

Rating - 100%
152   0   0
Started wet shaving years ago and I love it. I recommend it for everyone, I wet shave in the shower now. I like some pre-shave oil, shaving soap and a nice new blade.

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I just started wet shaving. Got a Merkur 180 and some merkur blades. Just ordered some bic blades as a review I read leads me to think I might like them a bit better. I've been using Van Der Hagan soap but I've ordered some Proraso, although I prefer Bigelow and Jack Black. I love it, best shave I've ever had, and I don't rush through it, I enjoy it. I've found a lot of help here: http://www.shaving101.com/
Nice, I haven't experimented much with blades. I used the 5 Sharks that came with my razor then bought a 50 pack of Feather Platinums on Amazon. I've using those for the past two years.

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
I got a ten-pack of feathers for like $3 with the bics off amazon. Also, fun fact, you can make your own pre-shave oil on the cheap, same as the $16 bottle from the fancy pants place. three parts castor oil, one part olive oil, and a few drops of the essential oil of your choice. I like lemon and other citrus for the summer and heavier stuff for the winter. Even is you use a disposable razor, this stuff makes all the difference. For a few bucks you'll have enough to will to your great grandchildren.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I used a straight razor for decades, gave it up for the speed of a disposable for about 10 years, but just a couple months ago, decided to get the straight razor back out. I've always worn a beard, but shave my neck and edge along the cheeks/mustache a couple times a week. My best friend's father was the last straight razor barber in my home town, and I think that's where the fascination started. It's a great shave, and the least irritation I've ever found. My younger son, who like me, has had a beard since early high school, recently inquired about using a straight razor. I steered him toward a safety razor (DE?), soap and brush. I don't know if he has made the move yet. He had been using some 4 or 5 blade disposable. That struck me as a little hokey, and I seem to remember a skit years ago on Saturday Night Live about just such a thing.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I e been doing it for around 2 years now, a few weeks ago I found a Mach 3 and made one pass then straight in to the trash. It was worse than the worst de blade terrible. What do you guys use to clean the sink with? I take my fingers around it and get all the hair but the cream residue is still there I clean it up every couple of days, but it's just annoying.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
There has not been a razor of any kind touch me for many many years, right now I could fill in for any ZZ Top guys or a guest star on Duck Dynasty. My hair is about 4" from my belt and my beard is below my shirt pocket and I am 6' 8" tall. I already did 4 locks of love cuts, but the beard stays. So to answer your question, sorry but no.
wow - that's longer than my beard. I try to keep the beard nicely trimmed. I use a beard trimmer and a razor to keep the "clean" areas on my face clean.

I like growing my hair long - it's currently about 2/3 away from belt (I'm 6'6"). I have given my hair to locks of love also, but this time I may cut it off in December and give it to my mom from x-mas (she hates my long hair).

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Thank you, brother!

As for blades, I done the Sharks, Wilkenson-Sword, Feather, etc... I got the 100 blade variety package from Amazon. So far, the SHARPs are my favorite... most comfortable for my skin, anyway.