What's new

Does having a vast selection...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now have an infused humi and regular humi so the first decision is natural or artificial flavor. From there it becomes how much time do I have to smoke, which will help guide my choice. All my smokes cost roughly the same or within a $2-$3 of each other so to me cost is not a factor. I would guess it is less than a minute to make a decision. One other factor is that I have added my humidors to the Cigar Boss app, so I can go there to help guide my search rather than opening both boxes and rustling through the sticks to find the one I want.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My issue with deciding on the cigar is also based on time it will take to smoke. I usually smoke two on a cigar day/night, with 3-4 hours of time. For example a Padron 3000 burns fast, a stick of same length could last me 45 min longer depending on how tight the roll is. Then I start down the path of should I do two shorties and one 6" and so on...this is about 5 min worth of shuffling at which point I end taking 3-5 sticks with me to cover all basis. Ughhhhhhh!

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I've become a big dry box believer, so I normally grab the sticks that I want to smoke for the next few days out of one of my desktop's & put 3-4-5 into my dry box so I pretty much know in advance what I'm smoking that week.

Deciding on what to put in the dry box does usually take a good 20 minutes or so though. I pretty much follow MoJo's philosophy when determining that though.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I have a pretty big variety in sticks at the house (2 desk tops and a cooler) and I am like a kid in a candy store each time. I pick up this one and then that one and put that one back for another one but oh what there is this one! As said above when packing multiple sticks to travel with....yeah whoa.

You don't want to see me in a B&M.

But all in all 2 main things factor in, time and location. If I am going to the watering hole to have some drinks, I may start off with something good but then move to a budget stick (like a blue ribbon) after I have a good few rounds in me.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine always relates to how long i am expecting to be able to smoke. I'm at the point where i have mainly singles so if i am looking at under an hour i am going robusto or corona, 1:30 toro or torpedo, 2 hours church or a 60rg.

that generally helps me, but there have been plenty of times where i have had to have my wife narrow it down by picking a number because i can't decide

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, usually I have trouble deciding... I have a good amount of higher end cigars that I want to save for a special occasion, but I'm tempted so much when I see them in my humi that I wanna declare a special occasion for that day. I have about 100 cigars and yes I do think about what stick I'm gonna light when I get home, unfortunately I usually change my mind once I open up the Humidor.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I usually pop open my spreadsheet and browse around to see what I'm in the mood for. If I'll be smoking more than one, I'll typically go for something milder and work my way up.

I used to just smoke based on the order I acquired them, but I've recently started going out of order based on what I'm in the mood for and time available.

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I usually end up picking and putting down at least 4 or 5 cigars before I finally decide on something to smoke. I don't have a huge collection but what I do have is mostly singles, some of which are htf. So I always end up asking myself if I really have time to now and how hard is it going to be to find another one? I'm really trying to get out of the habit of labeling something a "special occasion" cigar, it just ends up sitting around and never getting smoked that way.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
grabbing a smoke is and has been the easier choice
its been what seems a lifelong enduring process of deciding on the next pick up .

the next new thing vs. acquire to age vs. cost vs. rationale has me often way more preoccupied than id like to admit.

my Parents must have allowed me whole lot of playtime with a bunch of toys as a toddler i surmise.

thanks

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a small humidor that serves as an ondeck circle for my sticks. I throw 15-30 different cigars in there each month and just smoke out of that box. makes it easier to decide

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
it depends on my mood and what I had for dinner (I only smoke after dinner). I've got 6 primary CC and 6 primary NC that I smoke. After 30+ years I know what I like. I have been buying more new NC to try lately since there have been some recent releases that have intriged me lately (like the Undercrown).

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I like the"on deck" circle!

I make the mistake of having special occasion smokes that I end up smoking when I'm drunk or distracted with friends. They should really be smoked alone so I can focus on the flavors.

I've been trying to smoke the same cigar out of a box 5-10 times in a row to really get a handle on the flavors. I find it helps as opposed to switching cigars every time out.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I usually have like 10 (ok, more like 100) cigars I've been meaning to try, so I almost always go after one that I haven't smoked and it's a gamble. Even after a couple years in, I'm still sampling what other folks consider mainstays in their humi. Since I only smoke twice a week, it takes me a while longer to get to stuff.

If I actually have an idea of what profile I feel like smoking, I've either got a cigar in mind that I'm craving, or else a cigar with the desired profile will pop into my head and I won't have to even think about it.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I also try to smoke them by age. I try to keep the older cigars on top and smoke those first while the new purchases are aging. Found a 13 year old CC a month ago.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
it's amazing what ends up on the bottom of your humidor in the span of the year. I've had a bunch of 10 year old that were at the top end up at the bottom.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At home it is a tough decision. There have been times I've just decided not to smoke because I didn't want to dig around, as crazy as that sounds.

I work at a B&M so it's a little easier for me especially if there is new stuff to try.