What's new

Does The Coffee MAKER Really Make A Difference?

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
I'm sure many will say it does, but I just can't figure out why. Water in, grounds in, water through, makes coffee?

Now I'm not talking about what you do with your coffee after it's brewed as in what you store it in, the glass carafe or something more elaborate, but actually the machine itself.

If you're gonna say that the machine makes a difference, let's hear a detailed description why.

OK, let's converse!

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
In my case the coffee maker does make a difference. With that said I don't brew coffee the way most of you do instead I have a guy who sits around and whips it to death in a cup just so I can have great foam in my cappuccino, if the whipper changes so does the taste of the coffee.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I have found that it's not so much the machine but the temperature at which your water is going through the grounds. Most, 90% probably, do not heat the water up around 200 degrees. I have my eye on a Capresso Mt500 it has a 1200watt heating system to get the water up in temp where it should be for making coffee. The experts say water needs to be 195 to 205 to extract the flavor of the coffee (referenced from blackdogcoffee.net coffee 101). With that said I use my teapot on the stove to preheat the water than put it in my cheapie $40 coffee maker. I can taste the difference. I started to notice the flavor had a very different profile between press and drip even with a gold tone mesh filter. So I started to heat my water and wallah it was much closer it flavor.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
I don't know which it was the coffee beans themself or the Coffee Press. But I was on vacation the other year and I had coffee from a coffee press and it was the best cup I had ever had. But who knows I still but the swill from the local gas station.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
We use a decent (Krups) coffee-maker/espresso-maker/steamer; filtered water; non-bleached filters and good quality, fresh ground beans (we grind the portion right before making each pot), usually the beans are organic, but not all the time.

Costa Rican, Mexican, Sumatra, Jamaican, depending on the mood... We love good coffee.

Quality in, quality out.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
I don't do drip coffee at home anymore, but when I did I noticed the most difference from grinding the coffee fresh and using filtered water.

This is what I use now and love it.
http://www.starbucksstore.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=749009

When you get into the cappuccino machines I'll say the machine makes a huge difference, I've used several that were not very good at all.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
If you're gonna say that the machine makes a difference, let's hear a detailed description why.

OK, let's converse!

Temperatrure and pressure capabilities.

Adam is right on with his plagarised commentary too.

As for me, i notice a big difference when i put too many or too little grounds in. what up wit dat?!?! :crosseyed

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
For drip coffe, I would not think it would make that big of a difference. Espresso for sure it does. I have been using a French Press for years (when I have the time) and I feel that makes the best coffee. Just my .02

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
I agree that temperature is a big factor. From what I understand, a Mr. Coffee-type drip machine will heat the water to 180 degrees, which is just not hot enough. My Technivorm Mochamaster heats it up to 200 degrees, and the taste is wonderful.

I start with freshly roasted beans (I think Brian recommends < 2 weeks from roasting) and grind them in a burr grinder. Then use cold, purified spring water and filter through a gold mesh filter. Finally, I close off the filter's drip basket for about a minute to let the water really steep the grounds initially.

The Technivorm, in my opinion, makes one of the best cups of coffe (from a drip coffee-maker) that I've ever tasted.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
I agree that temperature is a big factor. From what I understand, a Mr. Coffee-type drip machine will heat the water to 180 degrees, which is just not hot enough. My Technivorm Mochamaster heats it up to 200 degrees, and the taste is wonderful.

I start with freshly roasted beans (I think Brian recommends < 2 weeks from roasting) and grind them in a burr grinder. Then use cold, purified spring water and filter through a gold mesh filter. Finally, I close off the filter's drip basket for about a minute to let the water really steep the grounds initially.

The Technivorm, in my opinion, makes one of the best cups of coffe (from a drip coffee-maker) that I've ever tasted.
This is the kind of information that I'm looking for. Somewhat technical data to back up an opinion. I always knew that cold water should be use to start the process, but I'd never have thought about how hot the water being would make a difference. Thanks for the information.

Still waiting for Brian to chime in here.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0

If one really thinks about, the mechanics that make a coffee maker work necessitate the water be boiling (212 F) in order to flow from the reservoir and up the tube back to the coffee with out the use of a pump. If one accepts this assumption, then all drip coffee makers should be capable of producing very hot (boiling) water. Of course this water cools as it drips through the coffee so I am sure there are machines that are better insulated at that point then others are. I think that would be the only difference between the drip makers. I have a Mr. Coffee. I will take it's temp in the morning.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I agree with several things that have been posted. Fresh ground beans, filtered water, a french press and water temprature all will equal a great cup of coffee. I usually allow my water to boil, then let it sit for about five minutes before use. I found if you use it right off the boil the flavor is off kind of flat. I never took its temprature but would have to guess around 180 to 190. The other factor with a french press is brew time, four to five minutes seem to give the best results for me.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
I agree with several things that have been posted. Fresh ground beans, filtered water, a french press and water temprature all will equal a great cup of coffee. I usually allow my water to boil, then let it sit for about five minutes before use. I found if you use it right off the boil the flavor is off kind of flat. I never took its temprature but would have to guess around 180 to 190. The other factor with a french press is brew time, four to five minutes seem to give the best results for me.
I agree, however and no disrespect intended, but this is the kind of information I'm NOT looking for. What I'm looking for are solid scientific reasons why one automatic drip coffee MAKER would perform better than another. Not necessarily the things that go into the prep and so forth.

I'm trying to justify buying a better coffee maker is someone can convince me that the actual MACHINE makes a difference. Not the beans, not the water temp going in, not when to grind the beans, but why the machine makes a difference.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
...I'm trying to justify buying a better coffee maker is someone can convince me that the actual MACHINE makes a difference. Not the beans, not the water temp going in, not when to grind the beans, but why the machine makes a difference.
It doesn't. It just makes ALL of the above easier.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I agree, however and no disrespect intended, but this is the kind of information I'm NOT looking for. What I'm looking for are solid scientific reasons why one automatic drip coffee MAKER would perform better than another. Not necessarily the things that go into the prep and so forth.

I'm trying to justify buying a better coffee maker is someone can convince me that the actual MACHINE makes a difference. Not the beans, not the water temp going in, not when to grind the beans, but why the machine makes a difference.

My coffee make has a autop brew setting and looks really cool. That has to count for something.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
If one really thinks about, the mechanics that make a coffee maker work necessitate the water be boiling (212 F) in order to flow from the reservoir and up the tube back to the coffee with out the use of a pump. If one accepts this assumption, then all drip coffee makers should be capable of producing very hot (boiling) water. Of course this water cools as it drips through the coffee so I am sure there are machines that are better insulated at that point then others are. I think that would be the only difference between the drip makers. I have a Mr. Coffee. I will take it's temp in the morning.
I think you've hit it. The water has to be at least 212 F or it won't flow up the tube in the first place. But, if it cools too quickly so that the "brewing temp" is too low, then it won't make an optimum cup of coffee (this is subjective, of course...not much different than asking which cigar tastes best). Mass-produced, low-end drip coffee makers don't appear to retain hot enough brewing temperatures.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
I think you've hit it. The water has to be at least 212 F or it won't flow up the tube in the first place. But, if it cools too quickly so that the "brewing temp" is too low, then it won't make an optimum cup of coffee (this is subjective, of course...not much different than asking which cigar tastes best). Mass-produced, low-end drip coffee makers don't appear to retain hot enough brewing temperatures.
EXACTLY the information I'm looking for, thanks gentlemen!