What's new

DPG Blue Label v/s 601 Blue

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
A lot of sticks get atributed to Don Pepin even if Jaime actually makes them, though that has been changing since the My Father (since saying a cigar is actually made by Jaime is not a bad thing!). I'm sure Pete is correct on that ... he'd know, after all.

As far as which I like more ... tough call. Both are great cigars, though I find myself smoking the 601 Blue a bit more often. Strong and spicy maduros are a not that common (especially outside of the Pepin world) and I really enjoy them. That said, I think I like the Murcielago even more!

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
“Effective May 10th, 2010, all EO Brands (E.g., 601, Cubao, Murcielago, etc.) will only be available via the Rocky Patel Premium Cigars distribution system. That is, directly and or through our approved sales representatives. All marketing for EO Brands will also be handled by Rocky Patel Premium Cigars.”

Major changes are taking place but the EO Brands cigars are still being produced by Don Pepin Garcia at the My Father factory in Nicaragua. Ortega has also mentioned that this distribution move will enable them to lower the cost of cigars anywhere from $2 to $3 a stick.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Mr. Tatuaje I think you are incorrect about Jamie Garcia making the 601 Blue Maduros...every place I see says DPG is the maker not Jaime. Maybe I am splitting hairs...

Lol. I needed a good laugh today. For sure DPG makes DPG Blue but the 601 is made by Jaime and his factory.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I agree with a lot of the former posts... both are great cigars that deserve a spot in any humidor, but are completely different smokes with the largest difference being the corojo and Maduro wrappers respectively.

Last edited:

dowjr1

Dan O
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Whooops! Actually I do know who Pete is...did not know "Tatuaje" on this forum IS Pete. So that is pretty funny...joke is on me I guess. Well theoretically Pete would know better than I would. :) Laughs. Oh well, I was basing my opinion on the information out there. Hey at least I was polite and addressed him as "Mr. Tatuaje" right?

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Whooops! Actually I do know who Pete is...did not know "Tatuaje" on this forum IS Pete. So that is pretty funny...joke is on me I guess. Well theoretically Pete would know better than I would. :) Laughs. Oh well, I was basing my opinion on the information out there. Hey at least I was polite and addressed him as "Mr. Tatuaje" right?

Lol all good brother. Yeah there is a lot of bad info out there.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
While he doesn't make any of my favorite sticks I'm not dogging RP with my statement. Just glad the 601/EO Brands haven't and don't plan on changing the blends.
Actually I saw an interview with Rocky where he said they were re-blending the Red Labels. If they're doing one, I wouldn't be surprised if others aren't changed either, if not now then down the road.

Dan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is an old Youtube video, Eddie Ortega is a friend. I asked him about that video and he said that Rocky spoke without really knowing what was going on, that none of the blends including the Red have been changed and none will be changed. Also asked him recently because of this thread which Pepin had their hand in with the blending. He said daddy and Jamie started on it but that Pepin pretty much took it over. So it is mainly a Jose Pepin blended smoke.