What's new

Drew Estate at Outlaw (South) - October 15

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
...get in chat and put a camera on it!
Some of us slackers want to tele commute in!
Sorry man I already left when I saw this... I had to catch a flight back to Chicago!

Here are some photos of the display and Tom Navarro (Drew Estate Ambassador):

Most of the sticks were back in the the humidor, which are not shown. They had some T52s, Undercrown, and No. 9s... along with the infused products. There were some boxes of Dirty Rats but no Pigs available.

While we waited for everyone to show up Kendall Culbertson, the owner of Outlaw, gave us a sneak peak behind the curtain on his tobacco collection and his blending process for some of the store exclusive sticks:

The guy with the longer hair is Kendall.

Here's a group photo of all the brothers that showed up:

Left to Right: giantstogie, lbowles2, hdroadglide, JDog, TreeFrog Frank, and danthebugman

Here's another photo with Jonathan around 3 PM CST, when I had to leave for my flight:

The other folks will need to upload their pictures... that's all that I really took.

Good times guys.... I got my Newbie Scavenger Hunt winnings from danthebugman... very nice: Beer, stinky ashtray, palio cutter (color that I don't own), and I believe 12 cigars! Very generous. TreeFrog Frank bombed me food and hdroadglide a few very nice cigars. Even JD bombed all of us with some L40s and other sticks... Wow! Great show.

And I heard that hdroadglide won the drawing for a free Nicaragua trip...

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Really disappointed I missed this. Of course I was out of town as usual. Looks like a blast. I really wanted to hang with JD for a few and see Steve Saka if he was there as well. Hopefully next year.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I've been to 2 cigar events in my life, now... Last October, I went to Drew Estate event at Outlaw South. And yesterday, I went to the Drew Event at Outlaw South.

It was such a fantastic time!!! JDog was waiting for Dan and me as soon as we got out of my car. Knowing the carnage he doles out, we immediately strike him with an icy cold bottle of Mother's Brewing Company beer (brewery out of Springfield, MO), and follow up with a mixed 6er of their 3 flagship brews, and a mini-sized Triple Chocolate Cheesecake!! Upon getting inside and setting down our stuff, he handed us off a 5er each of incredible smokes...

Very impressive personal touch...

Shortly after, Jarod and Larry both made their way in.

Jarod sent a couple nice little Le Bijou's our way. After our first pass through the walk-in, so I could procure the box of cigars for another Brother, and a few sticks for myself, Kendall Culbertson, the owner of Outlaw Cigar Company, took us on a very informative tour of his stash of leaves and blends. He gave us a ton of useful information about each leaf, and blending with each, including some of his experiences working with blenders from different factories. I really appreciated that little tour.

My first smoke of the day was this incredibly sexy Undercrown...

When we came out, Bob had just parked his Hoveround and was making his way into the store. As usual, he kept sneaking stick and stick to us, and even ended up gifting us a little beer, and me a Dirty Rat hat.

We talked to Jonathan Drew as soon as he arrived. There was a funny little moment in some face/name mixups... but it got worked out pretty quick. We all just hung out for a while...

JDog & Bob

JDog kickin' back

Kendall hanging out with us

Even though they have wonderful hog roast and fixin's at Outlaw, we had been wanting to try out one of Bob's new haunts, so Bob, Dan, and I loaded up on Bob's powerchair and set out for Martin City Brewing Company. Had a couple of great craft beers on tap, and maybe one of the best Reuben's I had ever eaten...

Gorgeous day on the patio for lunch, so we lit up another gift from Bob before heading back to Outlaw...

When we got back, I had a chance to talk to Jose Blanco for a few minutes... as kind and helpful as his reputation lets on.

Here I am, with him, and some ridiculousness behind me...

My last cigar of the day came from Bob, as well... He doesn't let you have a chance to reach into your travel humidor.

Larry had to take off shortly before the raffle... and unfortunately, missed out on a raffle prize of a box of cigars, as JD decided winners had to be present. We sent him packing with a mini cheesecake and mixed Mother's 6er as well!

As the raffle begins, Dan jokingly tells Bob ... "You won the ashtray last year... how ya gonna top that?" Well... Bob DID top that. Very excited to hear Bob's name called as one of the lucky 6 from Outlaw to go on a Drew Estate Cigar Safari!!! Congratulations, Bob!!

We hung around a while longer and chit chatted with Bob and off and on with Sean from Outlaw. Then, when it was about time to go, JD walked by and asked what I thought of the lancero... I told him I hadn't gotten one. Apparently, he decided he needed to fix that. Bob, Dan, and I went for a final walk-in pass, and JD was holed up there. He wanted to talk to us for a bit. We talked about a lot of stuff. Always great getting to talk to JD!! Very generous, very informative, and cares... truly cares about his consumers, not only as a customer, but as a person... and as a friend. Before we had to hit the road, he made a generous offer and left me with something to ponder on the way home. Also, he told Dirty Fabien to bring something for us. He handed our trio a box of the coveted L40's and told us to split 'em. Way too kind! So, we were treated way too kindly. Very much appreciated, JD...

We walked out with Bob, and got him set up with his own cheesecake, and 6er of Mother's. Shook hands, and watched him cruise effortlessly into the sunset on his electronic chariot of agedness. :pokemyeye

I look forward, already to next October, when I get to see JD again at Outlaw. Always a great time to talk, and catch up.

Thanks to JD for everything... Thank you Bob, JDog, Kendall, Jarod, Larry, Sean, and all the staff of Outlaw for everything, and putting up with the Frog 'n' Bug dynamic duo... or is that TreeDOG and Bug duo???

Finally... a pic of my Undercrown box signed by Jose Blanco and Jonathan Drew...

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
^^^what tree dog said^^^

plus, sunday night, outlaw had a dinner in the back room with jd, jose blanco and his wife, and dirty fabien. it was an outstanding evening of scotch, wine, a good meal and cigars. plus, a great discourse on jdn and drew estates given by jonathan and jose. a fantastic evening that was both entertaining and educational! we are lucky to have both jd and jose in the business of cigars as their passion is endless!

Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Larry had to take off shortly before the raffle... and unfortunately, missed out on a raffle prize of a box of cigars, as JD decided winners had to be present. We sent him packing with a mini cheesecake and mixed Mother's 6er as well!
Great post Frank!!!

but... are you freakin' kidding me!!!??? If I had known that we had to be present I would have
stayed... I didn't even really need to be home for anything :hammersma

Oh well... aside from apparently leaving too early again this year it was a great time!! That
mistake will NOT be made again next year. I will be there for the long haul :thumbsup:

PS: What was the box?? Please tell me it was ACID's so I won't feel so bad about skipping out
early :halfgrinw

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Great post Frank!!!

but... are you freakin' kidding me!!!??? If I had known that we had to be present I would have
stayed... I didn't even really need to be home for anything :hammersma

Oh well... aside from apparently leaving too early again this year it was a great time!! That
mistake will NOT be made again next year. I will be there for the long haul :thumbsup:

PS: What was the box?? Please tell me it was ACID's so I won't feel so bad about skipping out
early :halfgrinw
I don't know, Larry... It may have been ACIDs. They kinda made up the rules as it went along. I couldn't get up to the front to get whatever things I had been drawn for... And Derick was scribbling down names & prizes, and tossing them into a box. Well, he disappeared with the box, and left for the day. Sean and Kendall both said they would just mail them out, because no one had any clue what D did with the prizes and list. Ugh. I was picking up a box for someone and was going to see if he wanted any of the raffle prizes we won, before I sent the box. But I don't want to keep him waiting. So...

Sorry, man... it was probably just ACID's...