What's new

Drew Estate bought by Swisher

Rating - 100%
146   0   0
The halfwheel article said that Drew and Samel will stay on under contracts for a few years. That's not a hopeful sign to me. Sounds like they will just help with the transition and then out the door for the foreseeable future. But we will see.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This rumor was in Vegas at the show, now it's just official. The good thing is you can now get a Dirty Rat and a slurpie combo at the gas station

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Curiouser and curiouser. Call me a pessimist but I don't see this ending well.

I'm just gonna get set up at the front of the queue to buy shares in whatever Drew and Samel do after they leave.

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Bump.

1. If you believe rumors - you would know that DE has been purchased five times already.

2. If someday we take a major partner or sell DE, I will tell CATS immediately, Myself.

3. If DE were to ever sell, I will be there the way Fred Noe (Bean) watches over Jim Beam because I love my company and will never let anything happen to our quality - ever.

4. I am still grieving the loss of my friend Kiki Berger and don't appreciate this guy spreading lies while I'm already suffering.

Source: Jonathan Drew

So....who was lying?

Hoshneer

Blumpkin King
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I guess in business sometimes you have to blur imaginary moral lines. I wonder if all those people that were scolded will get an apology for getting shit on.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
It's on the DE website, too.

First, TCN posted the story: http://www.thecigarnut.com/swisher-international-in-actions-to-acquire-drew-estate/

Then, due to backlash, TCN felt it was necessary to write both an apology and retraction: http://www.thecigarnut.com/drew-estate-apology-for-previous-post/

Although, as I re-read the apology, I notice the phrase "the information we published earlier was not fully correct and should not have been published."

At first, I assumed that DE was fully denouncing the rumor and TCN was apologizing for being too quick to write about it. Now I am wondering if, because of the level of detail in the story, that the original story had some facts correct that only someone higher up in DE would have known and therefore could have put the acquisition in jeopardy - and THAT was the reason behind the apology.

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
He had to take down the story because he had no verifiable sources that would speak on the record.

Oh, and this quote:

Although it is not yet clear what Swisher International’s intentions are for Drew Estate after the acquisition, it has been suggested by both of our sources that Swisher International will likely cease production of the ever popular infused lines of cigars that Drew Estate has been producing.

Which not only makes absolutely no sense and is factually wrong, but also would be one of the stupidest things that Swisher could do.

It's on the DE website, too.

First, TCN posted the story: http://www.thecigarnut.com/swisher-international-in-actions-to-acquire-drew-estate/

Then, due to backlash, TCN felt it was necessary to write both an apology and retraction: http://www.thecigarnut.com/drew-estate-apology-for-previous-post/

Although, as I re-read the apology, I notice the phrase "the information we published earlier was not fully correct and should not have been published."

At first, I assumed that DE was fully denouncing the rumor and TCN was apologizing for being too quick to write about it. Now I am wondering if, because of the level of detail in the story, that the original story had some facts correct that only someone higher up in DE would have known and therefore could have put the acquisition in jeopardy - and THAT was the reason behind the apology.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
1. If you believe rumors - you would know that DE has been purchased five times already.
2. If someday we take a major partner or sell DE, I will tell CATS immediately, Myself.
3. If DE were to ever sell, I will be there the way Fred Noe (Bean) watches over Jim Beam because I love my company and will never let anything happen to our quality - ever.
4. I am still grieving the loss of my friend Kiki Berger and don't appreciate this guy spreading lies while I'm already suffering.
1 says nothing, 2 is true - he posted to CATS today, and 3 is also true - according to the report, the entire structure and DE stays intact. What I don't get is why he felt the need to go with 4, which tugs at the heartstrings in an effort to get the reader to believe he's being sincere and not playing with words. That last point just feels shady and also unnecessary given the true nature of what was going on.

That being said, let's not all go "Chicken Little" on it. DE deals largely with infused stuff, which is a target of the FDA and other anti-tobacco folks. Having the #1 seller in the market in your corner will be a positive change for DE. JD posted in CATS that nothing changes within DE, but that now they can "concentrate on our passions and talents of making premium cigars with a 100% conceptual lens." All in all, the deal makes sense for everyone involved when you think about it.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
19   0   0