What's new

Drinking while smoking

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many times when I enjoy a cigar I often have a beer with it. Yuengling to be exact. I am not much of a whiskey or scotch drinker but do love my lager.

However I find when I drink and smoke the tastes seem to battle it out in my mouth. Is this something I should shy away from? Meaning either smoke or drink, but not both? I enjoy drinking while smoking, but don't want to find its ruining the experience for me of a good cigar.

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
It all depends on your taste. For me, I try and stay away from hoppy beers or beers that are high on the IBU chart, mainly Russian Imperial Stouts or Imperial IPAs.

This might help

Rating - 100%
62   0   1
For me, it kinda depends on what I'm smoking. Yuenling is kind of a middle of the road beer for me, taste-wise. If you're smoking something not-quite-so-stout, then you might try the bugdude's advice and go for a Guiness or something similar.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
That chart is actually really helpful to me! I'm a so-called supertaster, and find most "bitter" flavors to be extremely unpleasant. That's why I've never been much of a beer guy, but every now and then I'll have something that I kinda like. I'll be using this for reference, thanks!

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Love my beer, but find that it doesn't always go well with the cigars I smoke. Rum is my go to drink with smoking a cigar (Havana Club, Zacapa, etc), but also am partial to the scotch (Glenfiddich, Glenrothes, Glenlivet, etc)

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Try a Belgian strong ale. My favorite with a good Nicaraguan maduro. Dark, sweet, plenty of alc to let you know it's there every sip. Excellent pairing. Grab a Tres Pistoles from Unibroue and a nice dark maduro and enjoy.

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
There is only one drink that EVER goes well with cigars...Stout. That is all I ever drink with a cigar. I never ever drink anything else...Never drink anything but a nice stout. Unless you have a excellent 15+ year old single malt scotch...but never drink anything but a stout or a single malt. Well maybe a nice Cuban rum. A good stout, scotch or rum but nothing else. Unless some one offers you a fine Conaic or maybe a good Cabernet. But nothing else...did I mention Tequila? Some Don Julio 1942 Anejo Tequila is nice. But nothing else. Never drink anything but Stout, Scotch, Rum, Coniac and/or Tequila.

Then there is a 12 year old Port?...Oh hell, drink what ever you like. :)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Malty beers are good with cigars. Hoppy ones aren't. The chart shown above is very helpful, but many craft brewers don't follow the rules. RIS (Russian Imperial Stouts) mostly go very well with cigars actually. But there are always some that have a higher IBU than others. Belgian ales (except sours, lambics, krieks) generally work as well. Lagers usually work (although to me are boring). Experiment with pairings, because no one beer pairs with every cigar!

My favorite beers with cigars:

B.O.R.I.S. the Crusher
Stone Belgo Anise RIS
Stone RIS
Old Rasputin
Southern Tier Mokah, Jahva, Creme Brulee, Chokolat (these are great with Padron Maddies!)
New Belgium Abbey
Duck Rabbit Milk Stout, RIS
Founders Breakfast Stout, KBS
Bells Expedition Stout
Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast, Brunch Weasel
any Trippel or Quad from Belgium
Spaten Optimator
...the list can go on.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
i find tossing a big brew back right before firing up works like wonders

slows heartrate and respiration, counters the nic effects nicely,
and more stuff like that, i should be a physician.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
There is only one drink that EVER goes well with cigars...Stout. That is all I ever drink with a cigar. I never ever drink anything else...Never drink anything but a nice stout. Unless you have a excellent 15+ year old single malt scotch...but never drink anything but a stout or a single malt. Well maybe a nice Cuban rum. A good stout, scotch or rum but nothing else. Unless some one offers you a fine Conaic or maybe a good Cabernet. But nothing else...did I mention Tequila? Some Don Julio 1942 Anejo Tequila is nice. But nothing else. Never drink anything but Stout, Scotch, Rum, Coniac and/or Tequila.

Then there is a 12 your old Port?...Oh hell, drink what ever you like. :)
Bwahahaha!!! I love this post!!! :applause:
I'm not a beer drinker at all, but I do love Zaya rum or aged scotch whiskey!