What's new

Dry boxes?

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
So how many of you guys use a dry box for your sticks? I am thinking of trying it, What are your guy's thoughts?

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I have one I put new sticks in, they seem to come a little wet (one vendor I use stores his @75% for shipping). I can put a fiver or two in the dry box watch the humidity rise and when it settles back to 60-65% I fire one up. This has worked to help speed up the wait from travel shock but I try to let all incoming adjust for a month they just taste better to me if I can wait.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Why not? I have run into several plugged sticks, thinking about letting them sit at a lower rh for a couple of days to try and unplug.

architeuthis

I see what you're doing!!
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Two things from Squid's perspective. First off I live in a swamp; it's very humid here most of the time. Secondly I like my cigars at or a little below 60%RH. Combine these things with the size of my humidor and what I have is storage that has almost dry credo devices. I add a few drops of water in the winter but none throughout the entire summer and it stays around 60%RH all the time.

Being in Cheese-Land, your mileage may vary... <G>

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I hvae a 25 count humi I keep between 55 and 60. If a stick is plugged, it goes in there. Sometimes it works. SOmetimes it dont.

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
lol, in Colorado every humidor is a dry box.
Seriously, my desktop is at 56&#37; right now. I'd rather not smoke anything out of it, and I keep most stuff in my coolers.
It's not too bad, really. Better than way wet.

TYLER

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
i never know what i'm going to smoke, so, i wouldn't know what to pull aside,,,, if you're using the box for plugged sticks, then, go for it!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have uncharged beads in my regular humidor parts of the year, and the RH still rises at times..
To keep my humidor cool, I put it in the basement in the summer. However, I run a dehumidifier to keep the humidity in check. Without that, the humidity would get kind of high.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Yea, I have used all of the tricks in the book but sometimes there is nothing that can be done about it..

I am stable right now but then again it has not rained when it has been hot here so that will change//

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
How about the moisture absorbtion only stuff, usually small packets (boveda size) they ship with electronics. If you could find it in bulk maybe it would work better than beads in your area.
When I lived in Houston (pretty f'n humid) I didn't have much of a problem probably cause the AC was running in OT mode causing a greatly reduced RH in the house.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yea, I have used all of the tricks in the book but sometimes there is nothing that can be done about it..

I am stable right now but then again it has not rained when it has been hot here so that will change//
Yeah, I'm in a weird situation right now. It's too cold in the basement to put my humidior down there, and it's borderline too warm in the house(get's up to about 73). I open to window and close the door in the room where my sticks are, that gets the temparture down to about 65. However, it rained yesterday and last night, now it's getting humid. I took half of the beads out and now it's at 69%. That's a little higher then I like, but it's still ok. I salt tested the hygrometer for a 2nd time yesterday, it's working good. I guess it's just the nature of the beast.