What's new

El Picador - A limited Pepin masterpiece

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I had the good luck of stopping by my local shop (Empire Cigars in Raleigh) today just as a shipment of the new shop-exlcusive Pepin "El Picador" arrived via UPS. Hal was nice enough to let me try one of the first from this batch (there are 250 boxes at the store).

The look is rustic but this little smoke has solid construction. Prelight draw was smooth and had notes of cedar.

Upon lighting, a nice blast (not overpowering) of spice hit the tip of my tongue. Other prominent flavors to open up immediately were vanilla and sweet cream. The first third continued at about the same full-flavored pace. The burn was amazingly straight for a small cigar. No relighting or touch-ups needed.

After the first third, the strength started picking up. I didn't think it would be possible, but more flavor started kicking in - mild cherry and a beautifully balancing melon sweetness. None of the flavors overpowered the other.

One of the things that struck me was the absence of the typical Pepin tartness. That's not really a complaint - just a noticeable difference for a Pepin blend. But it still had plenty of Pepin's spice and kick.

The second half never let up on flavor or strength - a beautiful smoke throughout.

You guys might want to try to get your hands on some of these, because I'm guessing they won't last very long. I know I'm picking up a box later today. This is probably the best cigar I've smoked this year - a totally unexpected and exciting stogie.

I'm giving it a 100.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Don't know about the price... You'll have to ask Hal. He was busy with shipments and I had to run.

Sorry to leave so many unanswered questions... This is really more of a preview than a full review. Maybe one of the guys from the shop can get on here and give you some specifics.

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
Hey yall, these will be on sale on Wed (he wants them to rest for a day or so)...

250 boxes of 20 cigars each...these are Cheroot size (Like the LFD Icepick) so about 5.5 X 38 or so...They will be $5 each or about $90 for the box (give or take)...

Sounds good to me :)

~brooks

issues

DPG & Tat Whore
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall, these will be on sale on Wed (he wants them to rest for a day or so)...

250 boxes of 20 cigars each...these are Cheroot size (Like the LFD Icepick) so about 5.5 X 38 or so...They will be $5 each or about $90 for the box (give or take)...

Sounds good to me :)

~brooks
Wednesday as in tomorrow?!?!?!

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Wednesday, as in June 9th.

The size of the "El Picador" is 5 x 40.

They are much more refined looking than the LFD Cheroot (that's Pepin for you!)

I'm not sorry to say we did smoke a whole box at the shop today (Monday).

Brooks is correct about the price, probably $5.00 maybe $5.50 per stick.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0

Here's the first order of 125 boxes, the 2nd 125 will be shipped when requested. They are selling for $5.15 a stick. :cbig:

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
Wednesday, as in June 9th.

The size of the "El Picador" is 5 x 40.

They are much more refined looking than the LFD Cheroot (that's Pepin for you!)

I'm not sorry to say we did smoke a whole box at the shop today (Monday).

Brooks is correct about the price, probably $5.00 maybe $5.50 per stick.
soooooo......good bad indifferent?

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I like them, they are an extension of the My Father Series....have good kick to them and a good amount of spiceyness, both typical of most DPG cigars.