What's new

Engagement Ring Question

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Spent $125.00 on a small gold band for engagement and about the same for a slightly larger, matching version for the wedding. That was all she wanted. She thought anything else was a tremendous waste and always hated debt. . .Just had anniversary #28. . .:smile:

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I'm with the spending less on a ring group. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem spending money and if you have it, spend what you like.

But spend because you want to not because a diamond monopoly tells you how much to spend or because you want to impress friends.

I would start with something of good to very good quality and not too much money. If your means change and as you said they will change, you can buy her anniversary rings or something else later. Personally, I do not like when people upgrade their wedding rings because to me the symbol changes. But really, who cares what I think? It matters what you and your future wife think.

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
My two cents:
First penny, my wife is a buyer in the jewelry biz and she would agree with you that color and clarity are more important than size. Do some shopping around because you will find that if it is cut right and is a brilliant stone, it will look bigger. Your fiance wants something that will sparkle and be noticed not a large dull rock.
Yes I know too much about jewelry. I collect cigars and wine she collects jewelry.
Second penny:
I am a financial advisor and to the question as to how much to spend, depends. If you are getting a PhD and living on a small fixed income but it will drastically increase then thin about what you will be able to afford. If it is only going to go up slightly don't saddle yourself with large payments on a ring. As much as she wants a ring you will both want a house. Also you need to factor in student loan payments that may be coming.
A good economical choice is to buy a loose stone and put it into a simple setting. As cash flow improves you can then go get a more elaborate setting with additional diamonds etc.
Go for a cut that you like . I'm into marquise cuts for all of my wife's rings, I just like how it captures the like better but it lacks the depth that a radiant.
All great advice above. I say buy what you can afford. If she loves you, she'll love the ring.
All great advice

sportsmedjosh

CRA Member: 211528
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
This is all great info. What are your thoughts about lab made diamonds.

I know the process of making these have gotten a lot better. Plus it would be conflict free.

rduke10

AKA Dookie
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Can't add anything better than what has already been said. I spent less than a grand on my wife's ring. My wife does not wear "big" rings so I went with a smaller diamond and had a setting made for it. I got something I knew she would like and didn't go broke doing it. We will celebrate #15 in May and I am just as married as if I had bought the biggest most expensive ring out there. Point is, get something that you can afford, she should be happy with anything that say's "hey I am engaged". Good luck and congrats!

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I am also looking at engagement rings. I'm so drawn to the idea of buying a diamond and I'm having trouble getting that notion out of my head until I saw the perfect ring.

This thing is amazing, but it's got a Cubic. But everything else tells me it's right. It hit me right when I saw it. The woman selling it to me is even named Stella - same name as Michelle's dog...

If she really wants a diamond, we can put one in one day when it's cost feasible...

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
This is all great info. What are your thoughts about lab made diamonds.

I know the process of making these have gotten a lot better. Plus it would be conflict free.
I'm a big fan of them for a few reasons but you can't beat the price. They're generally anywhere from 75% to 80% cheaper and look the same (because they're actual diamonds.) It really depends on why you're buying it though - if the "rare factor" doesn't matter and she just likes the look of the stone then there's no reason not to. The thousands of dollars you save can go towards your honeymoon.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I spent $500 on my ring and didn't even end up buying a diamond 'cause she wasn't a fan. I got a citrine set in white gold with some diamonds surrounding the setting and she loves it.

sportsmedjosh

CRA Member: 211528
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Thanks guys. I'm looking for the stone separate. I'm really going to look into the lab made ones. I've heard mixed reviews so far about them. Some companies are legit and some are not.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I guess my post was slightly misleading. I was going to buy from them but they weren't making what I wanted at the time. They were one of the two or three companies making lab grown diamonds about 3-4 years ago. I ended up looking at them because of an article written about manmade stones.

There was also a good show on HD Discovery around the same time that showcased the lab diamonds vs the natural stones. It also mentioned how controlled the diamond market is thanks to De Beers.

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
I would suggest going to a local non-chain jeweler and look at their prices and see what they can do for you. My wife wanted a certain Tiffany ring, but instead of paying almost $100k for it, we were able to have it re-created for significantly less and also change a couple things about it to personalize it a little more. In the end we/she were able to select the exact stone we/she wanted and have the setting created how we/she wanted it and saved a ton of cash.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
Talk to her and find out what is important to her. My wife isn't a bling girl and talked me out of an overly flashy ring she wouln't of liked for a simple one she loves. The day I asked was on an Alaskan cruise with the next day in a port full of jewelry stores. We picked it out together.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Dude, get her like a 4 CT zircon. She'll never know....and her friends will all think you're a balla. good way to pick up some tail on the side. Tiger style.....make it happen pimp.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Seems like you've gotten pleanty of good advice on here. I don't have much to add except I'd definitly reiderate get her something she'll like. Since you've been together so long already I'm sure that won't be too a difficult task. Also get something that has meaning to the two of you, perhaps a custom job. My wife's ring has a few small diamonds on it, but the centerpiece is an amethyst. It's our son's birth stone so it has quite a bit of sentimental value and that makes it more valuable than a 3 ct platnium ring if you ask me. And congrats dude :thumbsup:.

Dan

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
when I purchased my wife's ring, I never heard a comment about size, it was all about "so and so said they saw it sparkle from across the room" etc. etc. It's all about clarity and color, that's what sets the nice diamonds apart from the rest. I think I got her a 3/4 ct with 1/2 on either side or something like that. Nothing huge, but tasteful. We spent about 4k-6k on it, I can't remember exactly what.

It all depends on how much you're willing to spend and also what's important to her. Keep in mind you are using this ring to ask her to spend her life with you, it says a lot. No pressure :thumbsup: