What's new

Entry level DSLR Camera

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm looking to pick up an entry level DSLR. $500-600 range.

In reading some reviews the Sony's seem to do better than the Nikon's and Canon's in the entry level due to features and ease of use. Of course I always worry about these reviews being biased. Anyone have any experience with the Sony's?

I like that the image stabilization is built into the body of the Sony vs. the lense. Other than that I see no big advantages.

One of my biggest pet peeves with cameras is lousy night shots. I'm not the type to carry around a tri-pod so I'm hoping there is some feature out there that will take a decent shot without having to set the ISO very low. Do any of these companies excel in night shot technology?

Any input is much appreciated!

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
I picked up a T2i (canon) for myself a couple months ago and it is a great camera!

For something a little cheaper look at the T1i, I think I have seen it sell for 600 or less with a kit lens (18-55mm). Let me do a little quick research here....

Psojka RP,601

This place IS my vacation
Rating - 94.7%
19   1   0
the canon T1i and T2i are the best starters there is. i was nikon all the way, but after i got my t1i b/c of price, i was quickly converted...canon has the same Image Stabilizing tech as sony that you are referring to...Honestly, id say canon all the way...their rebel series has really made a great dslr for those of us on a budget :)

just my $.02. good luck man!

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Not a DSLR but ALMOST, the Panasonic Lumix 18 x zoom is awesome! Comes with Leica glass which is the best there is. Also you can shoot in RAW format if you really want to do some serious photoshopping. Best thing is it can be a point and shoot, or you can go manual everything. You just can't change the lense.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Just checked, the most recent good deal I could find was on Amazon last week...

Canon T1i DSLR kit - $678.99
+
Canon PIXMA Pro9000 Mark II Inkjet Photo Printer - $339
=
-
$400 mail-in rebate when you buy both together
=
617.99 total

If you dont need or want the lens the body and printer combo can be had for around 520

Keep an eye out, this amazon price will be back soon.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ted, my 5cts worth:
if you want quality, crisp images and a great choice of lenses - canon or nikon. This is if you want to further your photography and not just occasion shots for fun. But, it will be costly. Canon and Nikon "quality lenses" are not cheap but they are up there in the pro grade. Just take a look at all the pros behind a goal post or any sporting event with their big white lenses(they are all Canon) or black ones(mostly nikon or sigma or others). Having said all this, if you want to take photography seriously, look to put your entry level camera as a good backup camera in 18 months to 2 years and you will certainly upgrade the body to a semi-pro body. You may change bodies but will certainly keep your quality lens for many, many years.

On the other hand, if you are looking for occasional fun, quality pics to view on the pc/laptop then your sony will be great. As a test get yourself a memory card go to the shop take some sample shots with various cameras and see the results on your pc. You will find one of them most appealing to you.
Voila!

Enjoy...

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Wow, some great info already! Thanks for your suggestions everyone and thanks Justin for doing the research. I'll definitely keep an eye on Amazon.

...As a test get yourself a memory card go to the shop take some sample shots with various cameras and see the results on your pc. You will find one of them most appealing to you.
Great idea!! :thumbsup:

itallushrt

hero
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'd look for either a new in the box or gently used Canon 40d or even a 50d.

I also will make a strong recommendation to go with Canon or Nikon because of available lenses. Even if you don't plan on buying a lot of glass at least plan on renting some for special occasions, etc, but as your hobby grows you will quickly out grow the kit lens that comes with ANY camera. As such you simply will have a lot better selection to choose from and especially have a lot better selection of glass to rent.

Plus if you shoot Canon then we can tell how to get the most from your camera and they are better than Nikons anyway. :stretchgr

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
What about a micro four thirds? Other than night shots without a tripod, what are you looking to shoot?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Love my Sony Alpha-200. It's a couple years old - you can get a lot more camera for the same money now (ie 300 line). Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll love it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Sony Alpha-200. It's a couple years old - you can get a lot more camera for the same money now (ie 300 line). Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll love it.
I have to agree. We chose it because my old Minolta lenses are compatible with the mount. The pictures are amazing, but not because I'm a great photographer.

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
Ted I have a T1i. I love it. Most professional photographers I talk to and most here use Canon. I would not trade mine for the world. If you are doing only pictures then go with the Rebel Xsi

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It is not a DSLR, but the new G11 from Canon has a new sensor chip which is supposed to have the look of a 20mp with only a 15mp(i believe). The test images that I have seen are beautiful. Several of my friends who are professional photographers are using these as their personal recreational cameras.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Here's a good post to look at....

Digital Camera Recommendations
Thanks Larry. I had checked this thread out before starting a new one and it mostly pertains to point and shoot cameras. I have a Canon D10 that I'm very happy with. Just want to step up my game a little. :grin:

What about a micro four thirds? Other than night shots without a tripod, what are you looking to shoot?
Gotta plead ignorance on this one. No clue what a micro four thirds is. Going to have to turn to Google for that one. Most shots will be daytime. Mixture of kids sporting events, a dog that won't stand still for 2 seconds and still shots.

themoneycollector

Ermagherd Sergarse
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I'm looking to pick up an entry level DSLR. $500-600 range.

In reading some reviews the Sony's seem to do better than the Nikon's and Canon's in the entry level due to features and ease of use. Of course I always worry about these reviews being biased. Anyone have any experience with the Sony's?

Any input is much appreciated!
My recommendation would be to stay with Canon or Nikon. You'll see that their strengths are in the lenses and Sony/Panasonic don't have the variety that either of the others offer. The other camera brands may seem like a deal right now based on price and some features, but when you start looking into the lenses, they fall short.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Gotta plead ignorance on this one. No clue what a micro four thirds is. Going to have to turn to Google for that one. Most shots will be daytime. Mixture of kids sporting events, a dog that won't stand still for 2 seconds and still shots.
No worries, it's still a new type of camera. It's more the size of a point and shoot, but you can still swap lenses. I think they are a bit smaller than the Rebels and such.

I haven't used one myself, but I've read some good things.