What's new

Entry level DSLR Camera

Rating - 100%
123   0   0
If you are just wanting a casual camera but better than a point-n-shoot I would go with a Sony or Olympus simply because the Image Stabilization is built into the camera not the lense making the lenses cheaper to build.

That being said for low light shooting you would actually be better off with the Nikon or Canon because the lenses with Image Stabilization are more effective than the ones built into the body and that helps a fair bit in low light shooting.

Either way you really can't go wrong. Unless you are a proshooter (or at least an advanced amateur) they will all do the trick. More important is how they feel in your hand and how the controls are laid out and that is pretty much a preference thing and also depends on how big your mitts are.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Well, after much debate I finally decided on the T1i. Picked it up today from Sam's Club.

@ ai_gva, I took your advice and brought a memory card with me. Took several shots on the T1i, Nikon D5000 and D3100. For me, the Canon won on feel and picture quality.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Taking a trip to San Francisco soon so it will be put to good use very soon!

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I'm looking to pick up an entry level DSLR. $500-600 range.

In reading some reviews the Sony's seem to do better than the Nikon's and Canon's in the entry level due to features and ease of use. Of course I always worry about these reviews being biased. Anyone have any experience with the Sony's?

I like that the image stabilization is built into the body of the Sony vs. the lense. Other than that I see no big advantages.

One of my biggest pet peeves with cameras is lousy night shots. I'm not the type to carry around a tri-pod so I'm hoping there is some feature out there that will take a decent shot without having to set the ISO very low. Do any of these companies excel in night shot technology?

Any input is much appreciated!
I currently shoot a Sony A65 and love it. I also shoot with a Hybrid Sony HK100 in places where I can't get a full DSLR in (some arena's and venues will not allow them). I'm going to be biased though as I used to work for Sony in their Mobile division and got the camera for a great price. But it has all the features that I've been looking for plus more and I'm more than pleased with the pictures I take. I wish it had the option for doing double exposure photos. You might be able to find a DSLR on sale or open box at the Sony Store for a good price. The most important thing though is not so much the MP but the size of the sensor. I'd also get something you can grow into. You might have to spend a little more up front, but it's cheaper than buying a new camera 6 months or a year from now.

As far as night shoots, it's going to be tough without a tripod. There are night setting on most DSLR's now but you can always go with a longer shutter speed. Just know that anything over 1/2 second will most likely show some blur without using a tripod (it's surprisingly hard to hold a camera still that long). But here are some tips for night shots / low light conditions:

-Invest in a good quality 2.4 lens.
-Step up your EV setting. One full step up on EV is one step down for f-stop / apature.

Happy Shooting!