What's new

Eric Nording Signature Pipes

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
So, as some of you know and if not, now you do I'm pretty new to pipe smoking. I already have 4 pipes in my collection, 2 just purchased last weekend and already looking at another which I've been wanting to get for some time....an Eric Nording Signature pipe. All of my pipe purchases I've done in person to see how they look and feel in my hand. I'm ridicliously OCD about it as I want it to fit nicely in my massive right hand. But this one stands out to me and sadly wasn't available in the store when I made a stop at Cigars International last weekend. Instead I purchased 2 different ones. I've tried to get reviews on them but it seems like their 50/50 with it and now makes me on the fence if I want to go with it. Some reviews have said by the oils on your hand it takes away from the briar maturing and leaves the mark of where your hand has been. Over some time, which I found cool is that the pipe is unfinished and will get its color as you smoke it. Which in all honesty, turned me off from even buying one and just saving my money for something else. Any of my fellow brothers have any of the Nording pipes or even better this specific pipe and what do you like/dislike about it????

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
They are a great value and you should buy one. If you don't like it after the first smoke I will gladly pay you the estate rate of 50% off.
Oil on your hands doesn't effect it. I would recommend you wash your hands prior to smoking it if you were working on something dirty etc., but that's just common sense. They really do color quite nicely! Do it- btw they are much lighter than one would assume.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Pipes in general are a personal preference. The size, shape and feel must be right for you. I have several Nording pipes, including Pipe of the Year. My best advice is to try the pipes out. Worst case, you can trade them or sell them to someone else that might enjoy them more if you don't like them.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
They are a great value and you should buy one. If you don't like it after the first smoke I will gladly pay you the estate rate of 50% off.
Oil on your hands doesn't effect it. I would recommend you wash your hands prior to smoking it if you were working on something dirty etc., but that's just common sense. They really do color quite nicely! Do it- btw they are much lighter than one would assume.
In all honesty, my whole fear was the oil from my hands ruining the unfinished briar. I mean yes, their reasonable in the price, but I want it to last a lifetime and not ruin it if you kind of get what I was saying. If I have to wash my hands prior to smoking it, I'll do it every time, 10x over.

Also, I'm assuming there's already the pre-treated cake within the briar to get it started correct?? I don't remember the proper term of it for the life of me....but I hope you know what I'm asking???

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Pipes in general are a personal preference. The size, shape and feel must be right for you. I have several Nording pipes, including Pipe of the Year. My best advice is to try the pipes out. Worst case, you can trade them or sell them to someone else that might enjoy them more if you don't like them.
That's what I was thinking of doing. So far, I haven't not liked a pipe I purchased. But this one would be the first by just looking at a picture on-line and not physically holding it in my hands. So, in a way I'm going to do a blind buy of it. Yet, I keep going back to the nording freehand line because I love how unique they really are.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
don't have one, DO have a savinelli serie III, another unfinished line. personally, i kinda like how handling has helped color the pipe, made it more mine. but i can see your concern. worst case, you could always use a hand applied sealing polish, like paragon (or some carnuba wax mixes), to seal the exterior and let it color from inside.

i have owned two nords so far, and both have been superb factory pipes, so the quality of work in general should be solid for you (imo).

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
In all honesty, my whole fear was the oil from my hands ruining the unfinished briar. I mean yes, their reasonable in the price, but I want it to last a lifetime and not ruin it if you kind of get what I was saying. If I have to wash my hands prior to smoking it, I'll do it every time, 10x over.

Also, I'm assuming there's already the pre-treated cake within the briar to get it started correct?? I don't remember the proper term of it for the life of me....but I hope you know what I'm asking???
Yes the bowls are treated. Not my preference but they do build cake quicker.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
don't have one, DO have a savinelli serie III, another unfinished line. personally, i kinda like how handling has helped color the pipe, made it more mine. but i can see your concern. worst case, you could always use a hand applied sealing polish, like paragon (or some carnuba wax mixes), to seal the exterior and let it color from inside.

i have owned two nords so far, and both have been superb factory pipes, so the quality of work in general should be solid for you (imo).
I also own a Savinelli, in the spring line. I see a difference in the briar as it was the only one I had at the time that I smoked from the wood changed colors really nicely. Got a little bit darker and the grain from the woods making a statement.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Off topic but might be helpful info. I have various pipes for different smoking situations and tobaccos. I have my expensive and treasured pipes and I have my "beater, doing yard work" pipes. They are still good pipes, but I'm not afraid if they get a little messed up. I have a few of e Nirding Pipes of he Year, which are awesome, as well a s a couple cheaper pipes. Also, think about a Stanwell Danish if you are just looking for a cheap, working around the house pipe.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Off topic but might be helpful info. I have various pipes for different smoking situations and tobaccos. I have my expensive and treasured pipes and I have my "beater, doing yard work" pipes. They are still good pipes, but I'm not afraid if they get a little messed up. I have a few of e Nirding Pipes of he Year, which are awesome, as well a s a couple cheaper pipes. Also, think about a Stanwell Danish if you are just looking for a cheap, working around the house pipe.
I actually have 2 that I just got last weekend for I think $40 or so each from Cigars International when I make the trek to PA. I have my Savinelli which I paid $135 for at my local B&M. Oh and my really expensive Dr. Grabow which cost me $25 lol.

I'll have to check out that Stanwell Danish also. Prior to really getting into the hobby, I said to myself I'd like to stay under the $150 mark for pipes if I can help it. Because I'm always on the go or doing something. Plus they'll come with me to the local B&M to smoke. I wouldn't want to drop a $250 or higher pipe on the floor or have it stolen if I step away to use the bathroom. So far I'm doing good. Plus, I have a little bit of patience for waiting for sales.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

After you posted this last night I looked into the line. I don't know if I got "lucky" or not, but it seems to me that the vast majority of reviewers like theirs! Which I thought was great. "Great Value" was a term that seemed to resinate universal - as well as "great smoker." It made me want to get one.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't be too worried about the whole hand cleaning thing (short of crazy dirty). I really find the pipe taking on a personality the more you smoke it very appealing.

Love to hear how you find it after your purchase... and I know you'll be purchasing lol :).

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
After you posted this last night I looked into the line. I don't know if I got "lucky" or not, but it seems to me that the vast majority of reviewers like theirs! Which I thought was great. "Great Value" was a term that seemed to resinate universal - as well as "great smoker." It made me want to get one.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't be too worried about the whole hand cleaning thing (short of crazy dirty). I really find the pipe taking on a personality the more you smoke it very appealing.

Love to hear how you find it after your purchase... and I know you'll be purchasing lol :).
If you don't mind me asking, where did you browse the reviews? I had difficulty finding some decent ones to read up and see if I'll be buying one or not.

Of course, you're adding the icing to it and try to make me slide down the slippery slope even more hahahah! I was waiting for you to chime in here.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind me asking, where did you browse the reviews? I had difficulty finding some decent ones to read up and see if I'll be buying one or not.

Of course, you're adding the icing to it and try to make me slide down the slippery slope even more hahahah! I was waiting for you to chime in here.
Yeah - I totally fell asleep lol.

Look here -> https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Nording+signature+review

I found the YouTube video's really helpful. Arg... MUST RESIST!!

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet. Thanks! C'mon now....you know you WANT ONE. Because damnit after watching a few youtube vid's now I might just make the purchase and get the sampler McClelland Frog Morton line with it......
Where you going to buy it?

Man - there are so many tobacco's I want. I need!! I want some of that Frog too. AND Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong Flake. Arg!