What's new

Escudo Navy De Luxe (Scandinavian Tobacco Group) - PToM May 2015 (Pipe Tobacco of the Month)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Post your reviews here!

ESCUDO NAVY DE LUXE
Brand:
Scandinavian Tobacco Group
Blend Type: VA/Per
Contents: Virginia, Perique
Flavoring: None
Cut: Curly
Packaging: 50g tin

From tobaccoreviews.com:

A combination of full bodied Virginia from North Carolina and Virginia blended with Perique from Louisiana are the cornerstones in Escudo. The blend is pressed and matured before it is spun and cut into coins. This process ensures the unique character of Escudo.​

Prior PToM reviews can be found HERE

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
To spice things up a bit this year, I'm going to start doing a little giveaway each month.
For each person that reviews the PToM, I'll add a half ounce sample to the pot, up to a max of 2oz. total. Then, at the end of the month, I'll draw a winner from the lot who posted reviews and send them their winnings. Just a little juice to hopefully boost participation. Reviews don't need to be in any special format or super in-depth, just let us know what you thought of the PToM, what you liked, what you didn't. Maybe what it reminded you of. Pictures are great, too. Just share your thoughts, enjoy, and have fun.
Cool draws & sweet smokes, Brothers!

REVIEWS:
@Doc Sixstring
@mikeman84
@Whtwtrman79 <= WINNER
@atbat82
@plumber1965
@ChiefIlliniwek
@nic
@Sirspanksalot
@K Williams
@JustTroItIn

Project Link: http://www.randompicker.com/protocol/185662x64559

Last edited:

Doc Sixstring

Patience and practice
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tin Age: Jan 2014

Tin Aroma: Grass, hay, and sweet plums

Taste: Figs, bright Virginias, bold sweetness on charring light but quickly mellows out into a citrus tang with a tiny kick of perique spiciness

Strength and Nicotine: I find it mild, two or more bowls a day wouldn't be impossible

Smokeability: I prefer to rub out the coins for an easier pack. B+ smokeability, it's definitely no ribbon or shag cut. Certainly needs drying time.

Room Note: VA reminds me of old american cigarettes, but with a much nicer linger. Not sure what the casing on this one is, but I'd wear it all day long.

Thoughts: Top notch VA/Per. Must be sipped, as it bites hard when puffed heavily. No regrets buying this one and it may become a staple.

Recommend to: Intermediate smokers, simply because of the cut and the bite.

Summary: Solid blend. Pulling the flavours from it can be a bit of a challenge in the beginning until you find the appropriate cadence. Sipping lasts about 60-90 minutes per bowl.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Had some in a cob this evening. I rubbed it out this time instead of folding it an it burned alot better this way. Im not the best on reviews or picking up flavors but I got some fruit flavors from it this time. The room note is great an the wife even enjoyed it, I have been smoking alot of this lately and sad I missed out on the sale of it since im down to my last couple coins but I know my local b&m has some so I will be picking up more this weekend.

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
So I've only had a few bowls but this is a wonderful blend with a sweet tangy start with a fuller flavor as the bowl progresses
I rubbed mine out and let it sit 10-15 minutes and had very little issue

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
So I've only had a few bowls but this is a wonderful blend with a sweet tangy start with a fuller flavor as the bowl progresses
I rubbed mine out and let it sit 10-15 minutes and had very little issue
I'm going to have to try letting it sit for a while. I've smoked two bowls so far and both have been wet. Though there's a 95% chance it's me, since I'm pretty new to this and really new to anything other than ribbon cut.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Ok, smoked a 3rd bowl this morning and it was much better than the first two. This time I rubbed it out pretty thoroughly and let it sit for 20 mins.

Tin: Sweet and Tangy, great smell from the tin. A little tangy, some figs. Overall, I loved the smell.
Burn: Lights easily, burns evenly all the way through. Only required one relight (which for me is remarkable) and that might be because I neglected it when I got a phone call.
Flavor: I finally understand what people mean when they refer to a "bright" flavor. This was sweet and tangy. Almost zesty. I got some lemon which was awesome and some fruity sweetness. This tobacco doesn't bite at all, but it definitely rewards you for slowing down. Smoke too fast and it turns harsh, but take your time and it's fantastic.

This is my first VaPer, but I kind of understand the appeal now. I still like "darker" tobaccos (Frog Morton comes to mind), but this an great change of pace. I bought two tins, so I'll continue through this one and leave the other for a year (if I can make it that long!).

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
smoked this for the second time today. I have a hard time picking out specific flavors but the baccy was sweet with a slight twang to it that was quite enjoyable. I will have to get a tin of this now as the sample i had is sadly all gone. This was one of my first forays into a VA/Per baccy but it won't be my last.