What's new

Escudo Navy De Luxe (Scandinavian Tobacco Group) - PToM May 2015 (Pipe Tobacco of the Month)

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
I've smoked two bowls so far, and I haven't been able to get an enjoyable smoke yet. I'll give it another couple of tries this week.
What's your process?

I reccomend fully rubbing it out, dry 15 minutes, and gently tamping as I smoke or if it springs up as needed

Are you not enjoying the flavors or having trouble smoking it?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What's your process?

I reccomend fully rubbing it out, dry 15 minutes, and gently tamping as I smoke or if it springs up as needed

Are you not enjoying the flavors or having trouble smoking it?
That's what I did with the last bowl. I'm pretty sure I had it too tight, so I'm going to try the next bowl looser. Just trouble smoking it, so it's frustrating me and I can't enjoy it.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
That's what I did with the last bowl. I'm pretty sure I had it too tight, so I'm going to try the next bowl looser. Just trouble smoking it, so it's frustrating me and I can't enjoy it.
That's how my first two bowls were. Rubbing it out, letting it dry ( I waited 20 mins), and packing it a little loose helped tremendously

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
hopzilla's review:

This is another baccy I have in my cellar that I have not yet cracked open.

If this review manages to "win", send it to @atbat82, as it is certainly not a review.

nic

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
This is my first experience with this blend. Vapers are my typical go-to pipe tobacco, Bayou Morning Flake has been my standard Vaper for the last few years. I should note, this tin was just purchased, and had no age on it.

Aroma:
Plums and figs. Very faint notes of sweet hay.

Taste:
I smoked 6 or 7 bowls of this over the month, using 3 different pipes and 2 different packing techniques. I found packing really changed the flavor.

Folded stuffed really let the Virgina's shine through. Being a fresh tin, this proved to be the most difficult technique, requiring frequent relights. I let a few coins dry over night, but being in Seattle, that doesn't provide significant drying. However, it provided to be worth the work - I haven't experienced a better balance between Virgina and Perique in my smoking history. I also noticed very distinct flavor changes over the course of the bowl. Starting with pepper, moving to Virginas, and finishing with a blend of both. That's a rare expience in pipe tobacco for me.

Rolled into a ball, the perique was full on. Also, the flavor never really changed much during the smoke. Mostly perique spice muted by occational notes of Virgina sweetness. It proved to be very easy to smoke however, requiring little to no relights through out the smoke.

Summary: Solid blend. This is the most balanced VaPer I've smoked. I understand the popularity of this blend, I'm sorry I missed the sale at 4noggins, I need to cellar a tin or 20.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
I understand the popularity of this blend, I'm sorry I missed the sale at 4noggins, I need to cellar a tin or 20.
If you're serious about this, hit up CI right now and use code FATHER for 20% off site wide.
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/pipe-tobacco/39889/escudo-navy-deluxe-pipe-tobacco/#p-96188

With 11 tins in your cart to get you over $99, minus 20%, you end up at $7.84/tin. Almost as low as the 4noggins sale ($7.53/tin) plus you end up with a free cigar torch lighter and free shipping.

Capture.JPG

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Smoked through most my tin, and as for my review. I like it.

First off the coins are pretty to look at, but that's not their purpose. They are very easy to handle if you like to break yours up. I noticed with this method to me at least, I get a bit more spice, I'd say more tangy than spicy actually. I prefer to roll mine up, and if I remember to let them dry out over night, cause to me it allows the flavors to blend together getting a slight sweetness to go along with the tang. It isn't strong, but it still let's you know the nicotine is there. I have a habit of just puffin away, but escudo doesn't seem to enjoy it cause it'd give me some bite. My reviews suck, but i do know I like it, and would recommend it.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Today is the last day to get your review included in the 'baccy giveaway drawing.
This will always remain open for more reviews, though, so please come back and contribute at any time!
I did a mini review, somewhere on the forum, and now I can't find it.

Tasty VaPer... I rubbed my coins out. Burns well with good Va sweetness coming through, and spicy flavors from the Perique. With that being said, I prefer LBF and Fire Storm over Escudo. Both have more of a nicotine hit than Escudo. The LBF is definitely sweeter, and Fire Storm just seems more complete.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yes, Escudo!

Escudo, Escudo, Escudo...

What exactly can I say about Escudo???

OK, I've been smoking Escudo at least a year now and as you can see....I LOVE THE STUFF!

Smells of plumbs. Burns fantastic wet or dry, folded or rubbed out. The taste is smooth and naturally sweet with the slightest of peppery follow up. The flavor gets a bit more full as the bowl progresses. It burns down to a shockingly fine ash. I have smoked it in cobs, meers, and many different briars. Escudo is always a satisfying and tasty smoke.

I do compare it a bit to Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls, though I think Escudo is slightly lighter in flavor.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Ah yes, Escudo!

Escudo, Escudo, Escudo...

What exactly can I say about Escudo???

OK, I've been smoking Escudo at least a year now and as you can see....I LOVE THE STUFF!

Smells of plumbs. Burns fantastic wet or dry, folded or rubbed out. The taste is smooth and naturally sweet with the slightest of peppery follow up. The flavor gets a bit more full as the bowl progresses. It burns down to a shockingly fine ash. I have smoked it in cobs, meers, and many different briars. Escudo is always a satisfying and tasty smoke.

I do compare it a bit to Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls, though I think Escudo is slightly lighter in flavor.
Sounds like I need to open one of my DNR tins!