What's new

Every time we go to the doctor...Updated- All is going well!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
my son gets a new list of things wrong to scare the hell out of his mother and me. He is 7 years old. In the past I have posted about his eye surgery- has been sucessfull. Reflux from the bladder to one Kidney- causing some kidney damage and reducing it's performance. He had some "male" surgery to lower incidence of infection to reduce the chance of additional infections leading to kidney damage.

He had a physical this week after my wife and I noticed the he was kind of stuttering and couldn't remember words (example- "toys" was not a word he could remember), caught him eating dirt, putting rocks in his mouth and he fell down just before his last baseball game and did not remember it.

We took him for a physical- turns out he is anemic, and based on records has shown low iron levels for the past 1.5 years. The Anemia explains most of the other list:

PICA- Iron deficiency causing the dirt and rock eating
Slow heart beat and low blood pressure
Stuttering probably due to lack of Oxygen to the brain at times because of the low pressure.

He is now taking Iron supplements and vitamins and we are stuggling to get him to eat more iron rich foods. He'll go back for more blood tests in a few weeks. Hopefully everything will have leveled out and his issues are not related to the previous kidney damage.

An additional diagnosis of Scoliosis (curvature of the spine). Thoughts are that it should correct itself as he grows. Noticable but not severe.

Keep him in your thoughts and prayers. He's a trooper and just takes it all in stride.

Richard

Last edited:

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
I am sorry to hear of this. It is difficult to deal with mutilpe issues with kids. I have you and your family in my thoughts.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Stay strong bro.. perhaps take your son to a reputable chiropractor in your area to get his spine checked out and prevent further deterioration.

Good luck to you and your wife..

sogon

El Capitan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is interesting that the body, especially at a young age craves what it needs. Have you considered offering a variety of foods at once to see what he choses. Anemia I know is often the symptom not the cause, it is also worth exploring different types of beverages for what he craves. I would also recommend a naturopath, and other alternative practictioners. Second and even third opionions are definately worthwhile, and possibly even the cooperation of many different types of treatments.

I would also be on the lookout for environmental conditions, there are far too many to list.

Hang in there, the body does have an enormous capacity for recovery and growth.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
Best of Wishes, Best of luck and our prayers as well.

I hope that at least some of this turns out to be a non issue. I have a suregeon friend and he says that if you do a full body scan on a healthy person, you'll find 20 things that are abnormal and require more tests. Things that never have been an issue and will never become an issue or will correct themselves if given time. I truely hope you find the issues to be correctable, controlable or God willing, not issues at all.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks everyone! It helps to let out the frustrations somewhere and the brothers at BOTL are there to help with the frustrations. Thanks for the support!!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
It was suggested that we take my son to see a neurologist to be sure that there wasn't siezure activity going on with the stuttering. We went a few weeks ago. Last week they did a 24 hour EEG and an MRI. We made a visit to the neurologist today for the results.

Well the stuttering almost completely stopped the day they hooked up the EEG, so no real good moments to be monitored. Results showed some minor/possible seizure activity while he sleeps but nothing that they would treat or find to alarming. The MRI was normal. Iron levels are now normal with supplements.

Seems that all is pretty well. Lots of relief in the house tonight!!!!! Thanks for everyone's thoughts and prayers!!! Time for me to smoke something good.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I just came across this and I'm glad that things are going better for you and your family.

I'm still new here, but all the same, I have a six year old son (& previous medical issues in my history) & know how worrisome doctors can make you. Not to mention the frustration and nights laying awake, in pain or in fear.

Yet I can't imagine what you have gone through & send you 'good vibes' & 'my own version of prayers' your way for strength, hope, health, happiness and faith.

Thank you for sharing your personal experience - that's one of the things that makes this forum unique (IMO) & attractive - Everyone here seems more compassionate, personable and has the qualities of an extended family.

Enjoy your cigar & sleep well!

Mitakuye Oyasin,
BOTL-AJ