What's new

Exotic Meats

Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
It's no surprise to those that know me that I enjoy cooking and I like to make dishes that are.... A bit different! I'm wanting to look into "exotic meats" if you will and was wondering if any of the brothers on here have any input on what I should try. I'm talking things like alligator or caribou (reindeer). We have an amazing recourse for exotic ingredients here in Cincinnati and they have just about every conceivable food on the planet. Any ideas guys?

Link to the market I'm talking about.
http://www.junglejims.com/foodmarket/food-departments/butcher.asp

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
I have had alligator. Not too bad, I think one was breaded and fried and the other was not breaded. Got a little rubbery when it cooled if i remember right. They were prepared like a chicken nugget. We dipped them in sauces.

smokingIsh

BoM July '09
Rating - 100%
171   0   0
JRL said:
I have had alligator. Not too bad, I think one was breaded and fried and the other was not breaded. Got a little rubbery when it cooled if i remember right. They were prepared like a chicken nugget. We dipped them in sauces.
If you gonna cook gator I would go ahead and cook gar balls and snapping turtle gumbo too.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
i have had alligator, agree with JRL's post.

When I was a kid, my father used to make old Italian recipes out of sheeps head and lambs head.

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
If you gonna cook gator I would go ahead and cook gar balls and snapping turtle gumbo too.
When I come down your way I will have to have some of that there.

My friend cooked it up, brought it back from Florida when he visited.

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
During one of my diets for a contest I got a great hookup on ostrich burgers. They were great but smelled up the house if I made them inside.

Also had a tenderloin of Kangaroo. It is so lean I had to soak it in Olive Oil for several minutes and then pan fry. You need to like your meat rare to medium rare though because it will turn to leather if you cook it too long. Its one of the leanest meats there is.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
3 words........Rocky Mountain Oysters. Eat em every year at the wild game I attend. Sliced, pounded, breaded then fried! Other then that wild boar is good on a kabob. Bar B Q raccoon come to mind.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I spend a lot of time up north so Caribou isn't too too exotic. Muskox is pretty good as well and available up north at least. I have also tried Sea Turtle in Cuba before and it was pretty good.

Posted via Mobile Device

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I've had gator, not too bad!

Also had ostrich in Vietnam this summer, which wasn't too bad.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
the Croc and gator i had sucked....

rattlesnake was odd, but good.
of course rabbit and squirrel, but those aren't that uncommon or exotic.

Beaver tail, raccon, Pheasant, Grouse, Peacock....