[Experiment] Infused cigars stored with traditional cigars

Discussion in 'Cigars' started by Joe333x, Nov 14, 2017 at 2:44 AM.

1. Joe333x

Joe333x

I have took it upon myself to do a little experiment with storing infused cigars like acid and nub cafe cigars with traditional cigars. I have read about how some people suggest to keep a separate humidor just for infused cigars since they are toxic to traditional cigars and will end up contaminating them with their flavor. I competed step one of my experiment tonight. I stored a Alex Bradely Maxx Black cigar in the same humidor as Acid and Nub Cafe sticks. I placed the Alec Bradley cigar in the humidor on October 15 and smoked it November 13. The cellophane wrapper did have some essence of acids when i removed it but the smell dissipated shortly after. The cigar wrapper itself had no scent of infused cigars at all. After smoking it I could tell no difference from any other Maxx black cigar that I had smoked which has been at least 5 that had been stored soley with traditional cigars. I have also placed other cigars that I regularly smoke in the same humidor and have kept the dates that I have placed them in it and will post updates with those as I smoke them. So far from what i can tell is that as long as the cigar is in cellophane it will not retain any flavors from the infused cigars atleast within one month of storage.

2. Boudie

Boudie

I'm willing to bet that if you store a traditional, mild to medium bodied cigar with something like a Groovy Blue the results would be different. Coffee infused cigars may actually complement the flavors of full bodied maduros

jj16361 and Glassman like this.
  3. ATL827

ATL827 Donor 1

Out of curiosity, are the infused cigars and the traditional cigars touching? Or separated but within the same humidor? Report back your results as you go as it would be interesting to see how time of exposure plays a role in this experiment.

4. Joe333x

Joe333x

I do mostly only smoke full bodied sticks so thats mostly what I put in but I did place a Romeo y Julieta 1875 in there which is the mildest stick I smoke but I only put it in there on October 25 so its needs more time. The infused cigars that are in there are 14 Acid Blondies, 1 Acid Kuba Kuba, 4 Acid Deep dish, 1 Acid One and 5 Nub Cafe Macchiato.

Yes the humidors are two large Lock&Lock containers that hold 60-70 cigars with the cigars laying on each other. Im curious as well, I mostly am doing this because I dont smoke infused cigars often at all anymore and the container I had for them was only a 3rd full while my traditional cigar container is at capacity so I wanted to see if I can safely use the other container for my overflow. Here is a pic of my set up. Left is the infused and right is the traditional. 20171114_154956.jpg

ATL827 likes this.
  5. ras_oscar

ras_oscar

Everybody has their own opinion. Here's mine. I mix infused and non infused cigars freely in the same humidor. If I have it its because I liked the flavor. Otherwise why would I be keeping it?

Joe333x likes this.