What's new

Fake Cubans...Would you want to know?

If you bought fake Cubans, would you want someone to tell you?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
A buddy of mine bought some fake Cubans on his recent trip to the Bahamas. As soon as I saw them, I told him they were suspicious and likely fake. He didn't believe me at first, but I explained that CCs don't come in cellophane, and that no such EL 2019 Hoyo (see picture) was released by Habanos. Convinced that I wasn't just spewing nonsense out my backside, he became angry. He wasn't angry at the shop that sold them to him, or at himself for being duped, he was mad at me. He told me that crushing his excitement at this point, when there was nothing he could do about didn't make me a good friend, just an asshole. He would have preferred I had just kept my mouth shut. Obviously, this is not the reaction I anticipated. Personally I would want to know, to be more knowledgeable going into future purchases if nothing else. I would be more upset if I later found out my friend knew I had bought fakes and chose not to tell me.

Anyway, out of curiosity, what are your thoughts. Would you want to know, or remain blissfully ignorant? Did I do right my looking out for and trying to educate my friend, or am I just an asshole?

unnamed.jpg

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well if he's a cigar friend he's probably pissed that you think he's an idiot for buying fakes. If he's new to cigars he's pissed because you burst his bubble. Regardless I can see him getting on-line or going to a cigar event, pulling them out and someone else giving him a real hard time about it. It's a no win situation. A good friend would appreciate the education a dip wad would kill the messenger.

You can tell him they are probably Cubans, just made in a back alley shop. I got cigars from a friend who's family makes a living rolling fakes in Cuba.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Getting mad at a friend for speaking the truth, and looking out for his welfare doesn’t make him a good friend, just an asshole.
Agree wholeheartedly.

Fake Cubans have been known to contain contaminated items...after all they are being made and sold by some real POS folks...do you want to risk your health and money????
I've seen this first hand more than once dissecting fakes. Plastic, string, hair, unidentifiable substances. Not good.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If he's a good friend you were just looking out for him. No harm. If he was just an acquaintance , well, probably not a great loss if he just stays pissed. I always tell them though.
I had a friend bring back a couple cohibas from cancun a few years ago. Gave me a couple. I asked if he bought them off the street or in the LCDH there. Off the street. I told him they were fake with barely a glance at the cigars. He wasn't offended, just wished he had spoken to me before he left since he had access to a good sop there.

Dran

"That guy"
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I'd say, if it's someone not likely to give you cigars again, accept the gift graciously, like when I was given a glasstop box of Espldidos as a going away gift by a coworker. If it's family, that frequents islands, let em know to just get you a keychain next time!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
These responses are pretty much what I’d expect from a reasonable person. I don’t thing he’s an idiot for getting duped, he didn’t know any better, just as I wouldn’t have known any better in the not-too-distant past. I don’t regret telling him, and I’m certain he will get over it and our friendship won’t be any worse for wear. We’ve bumped heads before over bigger things than this. Probably just taking it out on me for lack of anywhere better to direct his frustration. I’ll be more than happy to hook him up with some real CCs once he cools down and comes to his senses.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These responses are pretty much what I’d expect from a reasonable person. I don’t thing he’s an idiot for getting duped, he didn’t know any better, just as I wouldn’t have known any better in the not-too-distant past. I don’t regret telling him, and I’m certain he will get over it and our friendship won’t be any worse for wear. We’ve bumped heads before over bigger things than this. Probably just taking it out on me for lack of anywhere better to direct his frustration. I’ll be more than happy to hook him up with some real CCs once he cools down and comes to his senses.
Sound like a reasonable response to the scenario. I'm a very blunt person and sometime even when I have the best of intentions it can come across in a negative manner. I bet he will come to his senses and yall can laugh about it in the future while having a real one :)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk