What's new

Family Trip to NYC April 7

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Well, got talked into it by the girls. Not too many vacations left with my darlings before they fly the coop. So, we are telling them we are driving to Chicago when we are really hitting NYC. Plan to do the 10hr drive and stay off the island. This should be interesting.

So, can you guys guide me on where to start and where to end? I've only been in Manhattan for 2 hours, so I know nothin. We plan to have Friday and Saturday to tour then back on the road towards home Sunday am.

Help me out my NYC Bro's. This is gonna be a fast moving trip.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So much to do - so little time. Don't know what your kids are into - but here's a few ideas.

While I'm a Red Sox fan - Yankees play an afternoon game the 7th vs. Minnesota Twins at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx.

One of the coolest places you could visit in NYC is the American Museum of Natural Science - across the street is Central Park. How about Friday morning/afternoon at the museum - a stroll or carriage ride around Central Park later. Then dinner at one of the most storied restaurants in the world - Tavern on the Green. Be advised though - that would be one PRICEY day.

Other Suggestions for a whirlwind tour:

Ground Zero - can be pretty emotional though
Radio City Music Hall / Rockefeller Center.
Penn Station if your into historic buildings - also Empire State Building
Statue of Liberty
Ellis Island
Can't skip the lights and of BROADWAY !!

Enjoy and Good Luck-

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I would suggest seeing Times Square, a stroll up 5th ave to Central Park, go to the village so the ladies can do some shopping & head over to Angelo's in little Italy for dinner & the go take in a Broadway show. Lots of good suggestions above!

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
look to stay in Weehawkin, NJ short ferry ride to the island

see a play there is a ticket window in times square for 1/2 price day of tix

south street seaport, from here you can walk the Brooklynn Bridge

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
If you are short on time my suggestion would be get tix ahead of time have them held at will call. I would not want to wait in the discount ticket line in times square when i can be sight seeing or dining. Try broadwaybox.com for discounts on theatre tix and other touristy things. There is just so much to do it's hard to give one suggestion over another. The circle line boat tour from battery park is a nice tour to see the skyline, but it could be cold this time of year on the water. Metropolitan museum or museum of modern art, natural history museum etc.

I think EVERYONE who comes to NYC should go to Katz's deli. The ultimate New York deli.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I think it really depends on what your girls are interested in. Definately try and catch a broadway play. Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty are two places I'd recommend but may be tough if you're only there for 2 days. You can definately do Broadway/Times Square, Empire State building, ground zero in a day. Definately do a Museum or two again, whatever your girls interests. The Village is always fun with Little Italy and Chinatown bordering.
Oh and Katz's IS a spot you guys should experience! G1

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I've always wanted to go to Katz's deli, but then again I'm just a young guy that likes food :)
I like Katz's, but Carnegie is better in my opinion...have a woody allen, a knish, an egg cream and some pickles....I'm drooling here.

Cool things to do with Family on a short weekend...go see either the statue of liberty or ellis island...Grab a broadway play, as someone elequently stated go to times square and get the half priced tix.

Grab some pizza at one of the Rays, or better yet, stop at Johns in the Village, or better yet, Grimaldi's under the brooklyn bridge...again drooling.

grab a hot dog and a knish from a street car vendor...look for one that has a real grill(much better in my opinion...) make sure they put half a pound of spicy mustard in the knish....omg i just slipped on a puddle...

go to china town and eat some great chinese food.

i'd offer more things to do, but when in NY I eat and eat and eat.

edit: I lied...check out the guggenheim(sp?) the MOMA museum, and the natural history museam as they all say...

I love that city.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Like Ribby said EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT!!!! LOVE IT! Head over to Little Italy and if weather permitting have a cigar sitting outside at Florios, nice scotches and decent cigar selection. Right across the street is an awesome gelato place and the people watching is spectacular, cuz in the NYC the people watching is the absolute best!

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
How about Difara's - http://www.difara.com/ a awesome pie.

If your family loves sushi than how about - http://www.sushiyasuda.com/ and if you could sit in front of Master Yasuda it would be even better.

Burger at the burger joint - http://www.parkermeridien.com/eat4.php

As for things to do I took my 16 yo and we toured some universities he was interested in, not sure if that would be for you. We also did the Empire state building, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island which was fun.

Best regards, tony

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
My best advice would to take in a show,, lion king on broadway is absolutely stunning.. The food choices are endless, but I would suggest Serendipity III for desert, there's always a long wait, I normally sign up, and then go shop around the area, Carnegie Deli, another favorite.. It's tons of things, just research some, and plan on being up early and to bed late..

Enjoy

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
forgot to mention...nyc is having the worst bedbug problem right now. make sure you guys stay at a place that combats 'em. i hear they're pretty easy to bring home.

read somewhere that a good way to keep 'em from getting in your luggage is to keep your bags in the tub.