What's new

Favorite Christmas Beer?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The winners:

Holiday/Seasonal: Full Sail Wreck the Halls
IPA: Stone Ruination IPA blew the others outta the water!
Stout/Porter: Old Viscosity hands down winner.....even when competing against Deschutes Brewery "the Abyss"...

If you drink any of those "winners", u should be plenty happy!

Drink & Smoke a good one folks!!
Have you tried Older Viscosity and Oldest Viscosity?

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
enjoying a troegs mad elf as i type. damn good. funny topic as i just placed a phonecall to my liquor store to see what seasonals they have in sixtels, too many to list but i may have to bite the bullet and order a Brooklyn Chocolate once i finish my troegenator.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Don't really have a favorite, but did some sampling with the father in law last weekend and Shiner's Holiday Cheer was a pretty tasty brew. Brewed with peaches and pecans.

Dan
I like most of the Shiner beers. I would say all, but I haven't had the Blonde or the Light. Bock and Black are usually my go to beers.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A local brewery Mickey Finn's Santa's Magic!

Santa's Magic is a Belgian ale, lighter bodied than most beers we produce. The aroma is very complex with notes of fruits and spices. Honey and dark Belgian candy sugar are added during the brewing process to add to the brew. This is our most popular seasonal beer, so don't wait, it's usually on tap for only a few weeks. See you there brah! While supplies last, and they won't last long. We only brew 100 kegs! It's magically delicious.

Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Alcohol by Volume: 7.00%
Color: clear, golden
Flavor: spicy, fruity
Aroma: spicy, fruity
Commercial Example(s): Chimay, Duvel

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
The winners:

IPA: Stone Ruination IPA blew the others outta the water!
If you drink any of those "winners", u should be plenty happy!

Drink & Smoke a good one folks!!
What this is a Christmas Beer?

I had some, never again, it had to be like to worst thing ever to try and drink with a cigar. In fact as the bottle says, drink it last and when you do drink it, don't expect to taste anything afterwards. It was so bitter an hoppy. :sadstare:

Phiberglass

Robusto
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't really have any seasonal/Christmas beers that I really enjoy.

I will be drinking Stone and all the Pliny the Elder I have to finish.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0

I had some, never again, it had to be like to worst thing ever to try and drink with a cigar. In fact as the bottle says, drink it last and when you do drink it, don't expect to taste anything afterwards. It was so bitter an hoppy. :sadstare:
I keep telling people that hop bombs are not good cigar companions. At least I have someone else on my side. If you want to pair up a cigar with a beer I would pick something roasty. One of my homebrews which was sort of a belgian blonde was pretty good with a smoke. The carbonation is not as high as a version from a big brewery though. So I think the two key points for an enjoyable beer with cigar experience is roasty/malty and low carbonation.

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0

No, the Ruination is certainly NOT a Christmas beer. I was just referencing it as one of the winners (regarding a beer tasting contest I mentioned in an earlier post..#9 I think). It won the IPA category.

IPAs, especially Doubles like Ruination and Pliny, are not for everybody......kinda like an LP Dirty Rat cigar I spose if I were to compare em' to a cigar. They can be a terror on the palate, but I personally dig em'.

Last edited:

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I keep telling people that hop bombs are not good cigar companions. At least I have someone else on my side. If you want to pair up a cigar with a beer I would pick something roasty. One of my homebrews which was sort of a belgian blonde was pretty good with a smoke. The carbonation is not as high as a version from a big brewery though. So I think the two key points for an enjoyable beer with cigar experience is roasty/malty and low carbonation.
I'll agree w/ this as well Adam. Hop monsters don't work well with cigars IMO either. The bitterness of the hops conflicts with the core flavors of the cigar....so you really probably aren't tasting the cigar hardly at all. Even in that Favorite IPA thread, I don't think anyone mentioned loving an IPA/cigar pairing, so there probably are more people that agree w/ you on that than you may think.

As for your roasty/malty low carbonation preference. If you haven't gotten your hands on a Rogue Brewery Chocolate Stout....give it a go. An EXTREMELY drinkable Stout...it's not heavy whatsoever (I'd say lighter in body than most Stouts I've had), with great flavors yet not overpowering, and not overly carbonated.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I would have to disagree. I have no problem drinking hop bombs and smoking cigars. My mouth handles the hops and my nasal passage handles the cigar.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I don't think I've tried one in a few years, but the Anchor Christmas Ales can be good (different recipe every year). I think maybe I should pick up a six-pack or two.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Central Waters Peruvian Morning. It's made once a year and comes out around Christmas Time. It's a coffee stout aged in an oak cask.