What's new

FDA Releases Proposed Regulations

FamousTLo

Retailer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really great to see all you BOTLs & SOTLs fired up! To help you get your voice heard by the people who are controlling these regulations, we've updated our Tobacco Legislation Action Center - http://www.famous-smoke.com/smokers-rights/index.html. It has all the info you need for a real cigar-lovers oriented break-down of exactly what all these regulations mean, and everything you need in order to participate in the comment period that starts tomorrow. Please, check it out, get yourself informed, and submit a comment with good answers to their questions so we can better define, and then exempt, premium cigars from FDA regulation! #getfiredup!

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
#8 is not concerning. 6lbs at 1000 units is around 2.7grams. Coronas are twice that, even petite coronas probably register higher. They are trying to weed out cigarillos and the likes I'd assume.

Thanks for the clarification!

Rating - 100%
262   0   0
It is really great to see all you BOTLs & SOTLs fired up! To help you get your voice heard by the people who are controlling these regulations, we've updated our Tobacco Legislation Action Center - http://www.famous-smoke.com/smokers-rights/index.html. It has all the info you need for a real cigar-lovers oriented break-down of exactly what all these regulations mean, and everything you need in order to participate in the comment period that starts tomorrow. Please, check it out, get yourself informed, and submit a comment with good answers to their questions so we can better define, and then exempt, premium cigars from FDA regulation! #getfiredup!
Thanks to Travis and the Famous team for all they are doing to get the word out!

Rating - 100%
262   0   0
FYI... Sitting on the FDA Panel call... a question was raised concerning the lack of nicotine strength in this document. The response was "one step at a time". To my earlier comment... this is just the first volley!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My prediction is this is going to be EXACTLY like what happend after Newtown when guns, ammo and high capacity magazine were off the shelves in a matter of weeks before legislation had even been voted on.The supply on some of those items still hasn't returned to regular levels. If you have a favorite stick you know you won't wait for the FDA to finally rule to get some...and neither will the next guy

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of the things I am gathering is that if these regulations are put into place, they are very tough and expensive to comply with.

So while a brand like Rocky Patel may be able to survive this, more than likely.....companies like The Crowned Heads may not.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I work in politics you guys and after 10 years of doing so, it takes a lot to "excite" me as I can more easily spot chicken little scenarios.

This one is actually pretty serious the more I have researched it today and I would make your voice heard if you can spare the time.

“The upcoming public forum is critical right now,” said Jeff Borysiewicz, owner of Corona Cigar Co. “It is very important for consumers to comment on premium cigars in the upcoming 75 days. The FDA looks at every comment and is required to respond. If we don’t push back enough, nothing will happen. Antismoking activists are going to get a lot of people to comment on the forums. It’s a numbers game and we all need to participate and make our voices heard.”

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
How you liking Obamas change now?

Folks this is how some politicians feel they are elected to control our lives, but exempt themselves, I'm a lifetime member of the CRA. If you are not a member, then why aren't you, get involved, write to your elected officials, and tell them how opposed you are to this and the cost of more American jobs this will be.
As an aside, I wouldn't hasten to overly politicize such developments. The ban on cigarette advertising started under the Nixon administration. Warning label requirements started under LBJ, but the enhanced required warning labels, that got more specific about the health risks of cigarettes, launched during the Reagan administration. Tobacco taxes have gone up under every administration. And, yes, the Obama administration owns the 2009 Tobacco Control Act. Still, this line of inquiry into regulation was/is inevitable, regardless of what party has held, holds, or will hold office. I don't think we'd have fared any differently under, say, a Romney administration-- where the Executive would be holding the the strong, inerrant belief that tobacco, alcohol, and caffeine are of the devil.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Folks this is how some politicians feel they are elected to control our lives, but exempt themselves, I'm a lifetime member of the CRA. If you are not a member, then why aren't you, get involved, write to your elected officials, and tell them how opposed you are to this and the cost of more American jobs this will be.
As an aside, I wouldn't hasten to overly politicize such developments. The ban on cigarette advertising started under the Nixon administration. Warning label requirements started under LBJ, but the enhanced required warning labels, that got more specific about the health risks of cigarettes, launched during the Reagan administration. Tobacco taxes have gone up under every administration. And, yes, the Obama administration owns the 2009 Tobacco Control Act. Still, this line of inquiry into regulation was/is inevitable, regardless of what party has held, holds, or will hold office. I don't think we'd have fared any differently under, say, a Romney administration-- where the Executive would be holding the the strong, inerrant belief that tobacco, alcohol, and caffeine are of the devil.
Phaedron, while I agree with you that this isn't exclusive to Obama, to Bill's point about "how some politicians feel they are elected to control our lives, but exempt themselves"....

I can't help but notice while looking at your avatar, I am immediately reminded of JFK placing an order for 1,200 Cuban cigars hours before he signed the Cuban embargo.

Anyway, the point here is to not turn this into a Right/Left discussion but to stand united. You are correct, both R's and D's administrations have supported over-reaching policies.

Sorry, just hoping to not see any type of partisan talking points at a time like this so throwing in my 2 cents for whatever its worth.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All this from the same Government agency handling Obamacare, at least we can all find comfort in that. smh
Don't forget the USPS... SMH! We're all screwed!
Ha, well I was speaking specifically about the Department of Health and Human Services but yes, the USPS and any other situation where government tries to operate anything is a joke.

These people make huge nuanced decisions on things that no 1 human being is capable of knowing alone. They also make decisions on such an enormous amount of topics.

A US Congressman could spend their whole life in Washington and they would still never be an expert on half of the things they make decisions on.

That is why it is crucial to give input so they have an idea of what they are voting on.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0

Phaedron, while I agree with you that this isn't exclusive to Obama, to Bill's point about "how some politicians feel they are elected to control our lives, but exempt themselves"....

I can't help but notice while looking at your avatar, I am immediately reminded of JFK placing an order for 1,200 Cuban cigars hours before he signed the Cuban embargo.

Anyway, the point here is to not turn this into a Right/Left discussion but to stand united. You are correct, both R's and D's administrations have supported over-reaching policies.

Sorry, just hoping to not see any type of partisan talking points at a time like this so throwing in my 2 cents for whatever its worth.
Jeff you nailed that right on the head. Government control is not Party specific. Thank you Phaedron for reminding me that, although most of my comment was not directed at the current administration, it could have been taken that way, so, please let's not get off track and make this an Anti whoever thread.

It's an inherent belief by most, if not by politicians they know what is best for us. These politicians, both Party's exempt themselves from the laws they enact. Like Obamacare, both parties exempted themselves from being required to have the same type of coverage everyone else is required, They believe they know what we want, even though they have no clue or idea what America wants, They are paid by huge lobbyists with all sorts of loyalities to line their own pockets, as well as the pockets of politicians and corporations.

It does not matter what Party anyone belongs to. What does matter is when are we as citizens going to stand up and tell our politicians to stop over governing us. Let us make our choices. We are not talking about children smoking any kind of tobacco product. I think we all agree that children should not be allowed to buy, possess , use or smoke any kind of tobacco. This is no different then a government telling us that we are going to tax your soda purchases because we think you are getting too fat.
What are they next going to dictate we can't wear red shirts anymore because red shirts cause cows to pass to much gas. Don't laugh, I'm sure some group is claiming that or something like that.

This is a time we all need to United and take action to protect our rights. Our right as an American citizen to hold our elected officials accountable to the will of the people, not their own pockets. And if you do not belief this is about money, it's just another way to regulate and tax us.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I foresee online retailers setting up shop overseas. This way the laws wouldn't apply?? Like for say Famous Smoke moving their humi across the boarder and shipping internationally to the US?
If they regulate cigars in the same manner as pharmaceuticals, then the US Laws would still apply and there would be no benefit in online sites moving overseas. Overseas pharma companies must still comply with US regulation in order to import drugs into the US.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
I foresee online retailers setting up shop overseas. This way the laws wouldn't apply?? Like for say Famous Smoke moving their humi across the boarder and shipping internationally to the US?
If they regulate cigars in the same manner as pharmaceuticals, then the US Laws would still apply and there would be no benefit in online sites moving overseas. Overseas pharma companies must still comply with US regulation in order to import drugs into the US.
You know the FDA will use the same approach.

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
You know the FDA will use the same approach.
Yep...I totally agree.