What's new

FDA Releases Proposed Regulations

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love the FDA when they stop an outbreak of mad cow disease in tainted beef, I'm appreciative to them for that, for helping to maintain our food safety so we can spend out rime worrying about better things than whether or not our dinner is going to kill us tonight.

When it comes to tobacco though it's a different story.

It's not like there are a bunch of people out there that actually enjoy getting mad cow disease but the FDA is trying to take their fun away.

Like, recognize your role and sit back, you work for us.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Rating - 98.4%
90   1   0
I love the FDA when they stop an outbreak of mad cow disease in tainted beef, I'm appreciative to them for that, for helping to maintain our food safety so we can spend out rime worrying about better things than whether or not our dinner is going to kill us tonight.

When it comes to tobacco though it's a different story.

It's not like there are a bunch of people out there that actually enjoy getting mad cow disease but the FDA is trying to take their fun away.

Like, recognize your role and sit back, you work for us.
When was the last time a government agency admitted it worked for the people....wait I mean "actually" worked for the people.

Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Later today, the FDA is opening up for a 75 day comment period on the rules they proposed yesterday. The Food & Drug Administration MUST read, consider and respond to EVERY comment submitted...so make your comments to the FDA count!

Hit this link to the TLAC, where you'll find the details on how to submit your comments: http://bit.ly/1fb3c6F
#getfiredup

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Don't forget to spread the word to other Forums, Social Media, etc... The more feedback that we all provide the better chances we have of winning this battle.

Later today, the FDA is opening up for a 75 day comment period on the rules they proposed yesterday. The Food & Drug Administration MUST read, consider and respond to EVERY comment submitted...so make your comments to the FDA count!

Hit this link to the TLAC, where you'll find the details on how to submit your comments: http://bit.ly/1fb3c6F
#getfiredup

Rating - 100%
66   0   0

#getfiredup
Hey Jim is there any kind of standard format we should use to post a comment or is it open? I just want our comments to be taken seriously.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0

#getfiredup
Hey Jim is there any kind of standard format we should use to post a comment or is it open? I just want our comments to be taken seriously.
proper caps and punctuation (Yes, I will be using caps as well, dammit.), no profanity, no slippery rhetoric, speak like you have passion and be honest with whatever level of knowledge you have or do not have. more importantly, speak with a voice. don't be overly clinical or cold, but rather be yourself, like you would here. you are looking for logic to present the case, but empathy to sway a hostile readership into actually listening. at least, that is my personal leaning.

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Solver: Thanks for keeping us aware of legislation efforts. I applaud you for that. I plan to add my comments during the 75 day period as well as use the #getfiredup hashtag.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also recommend letters to both your senators and congressional representative. It will be like pissing in the wind, but the fact of the matter is regulatory overreach is the order of the day.

Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Early next week, the team at Famous will be releasing a document that includes a sample letter, some key phrases to use, and instructions. Stay tuned, and thank you all for the support!

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Cigar Rights of America Statement on Issuance of Deeming Regulation
By the U.S. Food & Drug Administration

For Immediate Release Contact Glynn Loope
Official Statement 202.469.3444
April 28, 2014 Glynn.Loope@cigarrights.org

WASHINGTON DC - On Thursday, April 24, 2014 the future of the premium cigar industry, and the ability of customers to choose to enjoy premium cigar products, may have changed forever. Since April of 2009, Cigar Rights of America (CRA) has issued a clarion warning that once the U.S. Food & Drug Administration was granted regulatory authority over tobacco products, in time, cigars would be threatened. That threat is now a reality.

Over the last four years, CRA conducted a comprehensive federal campaign to educate Congress, the FDA and the White House Office of Management & Budget on the fundamental differences between premium cigars, and other tobacco products. The proposed regulation proves that this initiative has had a major impact on the sculpting of the proposed regulations, and the potential for premium cigars to be treated appropriately, as fundamentally different than other tobacco products. The FDA's structure of the proposed rule makes clear that but for these efforts, premium cigars would have been treated the same as cigarettes. Based upon this extensive work, the door still remains open for exemption of premium cigars from misplaced and destructive forms of regulation.

However, the next steps in the process will determine the very future of the industry. The message as to why premium cigars should be exempt from such regulations must be the strategy for every consumer, retail tobacconist and manufacturer of premium cigars, over the course of the next 75 days, ending July 9, 2014.

The most onerous of proposed rules include: the potential for millions of dollars in new 'user fees' imposed on the industry; corporate registration with the FDA; labeling requirements for manufacturers; submission of ingredients and testing requirements; bans on samples for consumers; pre-market federal review before issuing new cigars; in addition to a new attempt to define a premium cigar with a $10 price point. It is CRA's opinion, as well as the consensus of regulatory lawyers and commentary broadly, that this is just the beginning. There are forces promoting additional regulatory mandates that will lead to advertising and marketing restrictions, manufacturing practice regulations, as well as bans on self-service sales at local community tobacconists.

In a statement by CRA Executive Director J. Glynn Loope, CRA intends to vigorously oppose those proposed regulations that could forever change the culture of the premium cigar industry. He stated, "The potential for regulations such as those being proposed by the FDA would forever alter the premium cigar experience as we know it. From the ability of manufacturers to exercise their creativity in the creation of new cigars, to how cigars are promoted and marketed, to how consumers shop and enjoy their cigars, are each under assault with this deeming regulation. CRA will be developing simple means for consumers and all involved with this art form of premium cigars to communicate their concerns to the FDA."

There was, though, a telling commentary with the FDA narrative - that the message got through that premium cigars are different from other product categories. It proved the virtue of the federal legislative effort, through H.R. 792 and S. 772 pending in the 113th Congress, that now carries 154 bi-partisan members of the U.S. House of Representatives and 15 bi-partisan members of the U.S. Senate as co-sponsors. Various passages of the Deeming Regulation, validate the influence this advocacy effort had on this phase of the regulatory process.

CRA and other industry allies will not halt the legislative effort to seek a mandated exemption from the proposed regulations, and will continue efforts to work with the FDA and Administration for acceptable outcomes for America's cigar enthusiasts.

Also, CRA is leading an international coalition to communicate the trade implications of regulation, which the Administration has acknowledged as a factor. Working with the embassies of the Latin American cigar producing nations, CRA will be communicating to stress the political and economic consequences of federal regulation on that region, as well as on those nations providing premium cigar tobacco.

Once again, the importance of the next 75 days cannot be overstated. Upon completion of the final rule, the 'horse will have left the barn.' In the coming days, CRA will be providing updated information of means for concerned individuals to participate in the FDA's Public Comment Period.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
This should be PLASTERED ALL OVER the front page of this forum. The next 75 days will decide if the govt is going to KILL the tobacco industry or not.
Please, if you love cigars, love this hobby GET INVOLVED. If WE ALL DON'T...the FDA will take over and regulate cigars to death.
Waiting for CRA or IPCPR to save us isn't going to do it anymore. It is up to us as individuals to FIGHT. I know cigar smokers are a laid back type, but if we stay that way, we all lose.

I do a podcast, we covered the issue there with a few other bloggers (Cigar Coop, Blind mans puff, Poolside Cigar Reviews) so if you want a chopped down version of the overall issues you can listen or watch. Then go say your piece to FDA.

[video=youtube_share;-K2HOMkn2bQ]http://youtu.be/-K2HOMkn2bQ[/video]

You can read the WHOLE proposed FDA doc here, it is 241 pages of BS that lumps Ecigs, pipe tobacco and Cigars into one genre:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-insp...2014-09491.pdf

They have given ALL Tobacco users 75 days (till July 9, 2014) to respond with what we thing they should amend here:
https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2014/04/25/2014-09491/deeming-tobacco-products-to-be-subject-to-the-federal-food-drug-and-cosmetic-act-as-amended-by-the