What's new

February SOTM Review: Oliva Serie V

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Alright everyone, I guess this is going to be the official February SOTM because I haven't seen one on here yet.

Reviews put up so far:

jwyatt55: Post # 13 ([ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showpost.php?p=675528&postcount=13"]BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf - View Single Post - February SOTM Review: Oliva Serie V[/ame]) , Page 1
VillageIdiot: Post # 17 ([ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showpost.php?p=676268&postcount=17"]BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf - View Single Post - February SOTM Review: Oliva Serie V[/ame]) , Page 2
Psojka RP,601: Post # 21 ([ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showpost.php?p=676786&postcount=21"]BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf - View Single Post - February SOTM Review: Oliva Serie V[/ame]) , Page 2
Simoun: Post # 27 ([ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showpost.php?p=677626&postcount=27"]BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf - View Single Post - February SOTM Review: Oliva Serie V[/ame]) , page 2

Other: Indypaintballsmoker: ([ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showpost.php?p=685868&postcount=1"]BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf - View Single Post - Oliva V Double Robusto Review[/ame])

So everyone who wants to put up a review for the SOTM, put it into this thread!!

I must say, I have ALWAYS enjoyed this cigar, and this time is no exception.

Today I smoked the Oliva Serie V Churchill. (Originally thought it was a Double Toro, but after some research I have figured it's a Churchill.

This cigar is a beautiful chocolaty brown, with medium veins. It is a spectacular, luxurious looking cigar. There is a slight spongy feel to it, and after the cut, it had a medium to loose draw.

DSCN1320.JPG

DSCN1321.JPG

This cigar lit up very easily. It produced a medium to dark grey ash and was not flaky at all. It held for about an inch, to an inch and a half at a time.

1/3: Immediately after I spark up, I taste heavy notes of leather and cocoa. This cigar has a deliciously sweet finish as well. The burn is perfect so far and there is a decent amount of smoke. Through the nose I get a nice spice kick, but not too much to make it unpleasant. Towards the end of the first third, the cocoa subsides a bit and starts to get a bit more earthy.

DSCN1322.JPG

DSCN1323.JPG

DSCN1324.JPG

2/3: The start of the second third brings forth a bit of change. The spice is a bit less strong through the nose, and the sweet finish makes way for a more creamy finish. This cigar is still earthy and leathery. The second third transitions from it's leathery start into a bit of a cedar-earth combination. There is still a perfect burn throughout.

DSCN1326.JPG

DSCN1327.JPG

DSCN1328.JPG

3/3: The final third starts off with a slightly tighter draw, and a slight tongue bite. The draw might be because of the cold, but the stick stayed nice and spongy during it's entirety. The smoke is less creamy on the finish, and very earthy.

I feel that the most tasty/complex part of this cigar was the first third.

The final bits of this cigar brought back the cedar flavors that I experienced earlier. Also, the tongue bite went away, and this cigar finished up very nicely.

It also made me a bit light headed :thumbsup:

DSCN1329.JPG

DSCN1331.JPG

DSCN1332.JPG

Overall, this is a fine example of an Oliva Serie V cigar. It's delicious, and fits my flavor profile to the T. I would recommend this cigar to ANYONE who likes fuller-bodied cigars that are packed with flavor.

Can't wait to see the other reviews for this stick!

Thanks for reading,

-Dave

Last edited:

jwyatt55

Not the mad fladder!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I did a review of the lancero a few days ago just need to get it
posted up. Good review :thumbsup:

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Have not had an Oliva V but I have had the Oliva V Maduro which I love. Thanks for the review and great pics. I will have to try one sometime.:thumbsup:

jwyatt55

Not the mad fladder!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Here is my quick review of the Oliva V lancero.

Well constructed with a perfect draw after cutting. Deep wood flavor with leather and pepper through the nose. Love this flavor profile. It is a beautiful sunny day today and I can see the oils glistening on the wrapper in the sun. The ash is dark gray and falls at the 1 inch mark. The aroma from this cigar smells like freshly cut cedar. After the first inch the wood and spice notes calm some and mixed with coffee and a light caramel taste.

The 2/3 of the smoke the sweet caramel taste is picking up mixed with a earthy flavor. The spice is present still but faded to just a slight twang in the nostrils.

The final third had good amounts of velvety smoke with a creamy coffee with a dash of caramel. In the home stretch it's a cedar core with rich tobacco, and the finish is still very smooth. In the last inch I did notice a bad metallic flavor on the finish but it was only present for two puffs. On a side note I skipped lunch today and I have a good nic buzz going.

The Oliva V is def my favorite of the Oliva line (and the only one I smoke on a regular basis). Full flavor and body that never dissapoints. Looking forward to seeing some other reviews on this smoke. Will have a few of these going out on Monday!

jwyatt55

Not the mad fladder!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Found another review posted by thatguy

[ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=36905"]Oliva Serie V Lancero - BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf[/ame]

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Smoked my first V lancero today, great cigar that I will be returning to at least another 15 times lol. I agree with jwatt55's review for the most part. I apparently dont have a palate as well refined as his lol, very spicy start with a slightly spicy and almost creamy finish for me (buffalo trace may have flawed my review lol) My favorite of the oliva Vs I have smoked so far. No metallic taste for me and I nubbed the hell out of this one. Great smoke, coming from a Tatuaje / Padron only smoker (semi-elitist lol) I really enjoyed this cigar.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I'm glad this SOTM thing came along. I gave me a little push to finally smoke the Oliva V Diadema I've had since November. From what I know of it, it is only available in the 2009 Oliva V sampler box. There are actually 2 different Diadema sizes in the box. A 7 x 49 and a 6 x 46 (I'd call it a figurado). I smoked the 6 x 46. It's kind of hard to tell from the picture, but it does taper up toward the foot a bit.

I don't know if it was the age of the cigar or the ring gauge, but I didn't enjoy it at all. This was the only Oliva V that I haven't loved.

The construction was fine, but the flavors stayed constant throughout. It was fairly harsh throughout. I put it out down sooner than I usually would any other Oliva V.

If I had another, I'd probably let it rest for a long time before I smoked it. I still have the larger Diadema. I may give it another year before I smoke it.

coastalgriff

Educated Redneck
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I smoked the lancero V right before the sotm deal and was very pleased. I smoked the belicoso a few days ago and was not impressed. The difference was night and day. I have another lancero so I'll light it up soon and post a review.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Thanks for the review Villageidiot - too bad you got a dud. I haven't had a dud in the V line yet - but it is a manmade product...hopefully your next one will be delicious!

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
Damn Justin! Feel free to Scccchmack Me around anytime you want too! *lol*

Smoked my first V lancero today, great cigar that I will be returning to at least another 15 times lol. I agree with jwatt55's review for the most part. I apparently dont have a palate as well refined as his lol, very spicy start with a slightly spicy and almost creamy finish for me (buffalo trace may have flawed my review lol) My favorite of the oliva Vs I have smoked so far. No metallic taste for me and I nubbed the hell out of this one. Great smoke, coming from a Tatuaje / Padron only smoker (semi-elitist lol) I really enjoyed this cigar.