What's new

Fire at Fuente Warehouse

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Wow, just saw an add for Opus X Fuente Fuente box of 32 for $1133. too rich for my blood but might have to look at them as an investment!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So in the last year, William Ventura, Plasencia, and Fuentes have lost factories or warehouses to fire. Maybe it is time to update some industry practices?
You have to ask what they can do? Tobacco is a low value crop until it's rolled (or many, many years aged) so spending a lot of money for fire supression that would probably ruin the crop anyway doesn't make economic sense. Smaller warehouses might be an option but I'm curious what that would do to labor costs and how humidity control and air circulation around the curing tobacco would be affected.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You have to ask what they can do? Tobacco is a low value crop until it's rolled (or many, many years aged) so spending a lot of money for fire supression that would probably ruin the crop anyway doesn't make economic sense. Smaller warehouses might be an option but I'm curious what that would do to labor costs and how humidity control and air circulation around the curing tobacco would be affected.
Plasencia said their loss was "minor" precisely because they use facilities in Nicaragua and Honduras. Those facilities are split in to smaller buildings to minimize the impact of such an event.

Maybe it just seems like there were more than usual because I'm paying more attention.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I guess the conspiracy theory would be to burn the bad tobacco and say you lost a bunch of good stuff so noe the prices have to increase.

I haven't seen where they needed a reason to increase prices in the past.