What's new

Fire Cured the New Maduro?

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I'll hold judgement in fire cured until I try it, but if it's any good you can definitely expect a trend.

Regarding gimmicks in general - there are more good cigars on the market now then anyone has time for. Can you blame manufacturers for trying to stand out?

-Charles

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Hosh it can be but if it is cured to fast it will completely dry the tobacco out and it will not be useable.
It takes a lot of work to fire cure tobacco and it must be constantly watched to make sure that the fire isn't to high or to low.

Time frame is shortened a bit but it is roughly the same amount of time. Look at this link and you will see. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curing_of_tobacco
Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
JD just posted the following on Facebook:

Just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for the epic response to our press release about the new "KENTUCKY FIRE CURED" line extension to the MUWAT brand. Here is the best way to conceptualize what we are trying to achieve in this specialty product. THINK OF DRINKING PEATY SCOTCH Whisky. You know, the kind of Scotch that tastes really SMOKEY.

* Quick Read about the Peaty Flavor:
"The old Scots used peat for heating the pot stills. However that didn’t lead to the smoky taste of the whisky. Only during the drying process of the damp malt over a peat heated fire, the smoke gets into the barley. The difference in the smokiness of the whisky depends on the time the barley is exposed to the biting peat smoke. The drying time of damp malt lies at approximately 30 hours. At Laphroaig about 18 hours of these 30 hours it is dried over peat fires; in contrast at Glengoyne it is dried over non-peat fire. Thus a huge pallet starting from extremely peaty up to whiskies with little smoke flavor develops." (Note - I did not write this paragraph but I forgot where I got it).

Hope this clarifies where we are going with the KENTUCKY FIRE CURED line extension of My UZI Weighs a Ton.

Get Ready ....
Dizz Son

sonarman

Hey Skimmer!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Nice JD, pufin on a Churchwarden? I think the fire cured can be a good thing, and I don't think its necessarily a Latikia. MacBarren makes a blend called "Old Dark Fired" that sounds like its close to what the KFC tobacco is.

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
This may have been stated in another thread but on the left side of a Herrera Esteli label it states “warrantee the tobaccos used in Herrera Esteli are the finest vintage aged air cured black cigar leaf.” I realize this isn't "fire cured," like they do in a lot of pipe tobacco. To me, "air cured" just means that DE is curing tobacco like everyone else, in a barn. Using the term "black cigar leaf"... I don't know. Maybe they're talking about the upper leaves of the plant that will ferment to a darker color since it's more sturdy and thicker... but this is on a Herrera Esteli.

I guess my point in bringing this up is the fact that DE is fairly innovative (whether it's marketing or just something operationalized) and I wouldn't be surprised if they figured out a fire or flue curing process for cigar tobacco... if that's the cause of the peaty taste? I don't think you'll be able to use it as a wrapper, but mostly as a filler. Maybe someone on the forum is already aware of this application for cigar tobacco. Whoever figures this out will likely to keep it as a trade secret and not mention its process.

JD's post is likely a April fools joke and Craig's response is probably the most appropriate. Sorry javajunkie... my mind is wandering.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We're gonna put smoke inside your smoke so you taste smoke while you smoke.

Xzibit.jpg

Last edited:

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
I trust DE and will try anything they put out besides the infused stuff. They're that good of a company. The only thing that concerns me is that when you add flavor that is not there naturally it can be overwhelming as the natural flavors get swallowed up and you loose complexity this goes for all kinds of things. Think of what a good chef can do with smoked ribs and what you get at Chili's. Adding flavor takes skill. But then you throw an Anejo in the mix and you see what a good chef can do. And, DE's got some good chefs. So.. buy one, smoke it, and then make the call. I do admire DE for taking these kinds of risks.

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
This may have been stated in another thread but on the left side of a Herrera Esteli label it states “warrantee the tobaccos used in Herrera Esteli are the finest vintage aged air cured black cigar leaf.” I realize this isn't "fire cured," like they do in a lot of pipe tobacco. To me, "air cured" just means that DE is curing tobacco like everyone else, in a barn. Using the term "black cigar leaf"... I don't know. Maybe they're talking about the upper leaves of the plant that will ferment to a darker color since it's more sturdy and thicker... but this is on a Herrera Esteli.

I guess my point in bringing this up is the fact that DE is fairly innovative (whether it's marketing or just something operationalized) and I wouldn't be surprised if they figured out a fire or flue curing process for cigar tobacco... if that's the cause of the peaty taste? I don't think you'll be able to use it as a wrapper, but mostly as a filler. Maybe someone on the forum is already aware of this application for cigar tobacco. Whoever figures this out will likely to keep it as a trade secret and not mention its process.

JD's post is likely a April fools joke and Craig's response is probably the most appropriate. Sorry javajunkie... my mind is wandering.
This is not an April Fools joke, especially since the info was released on April 2nd.

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
As I am still learning which cigars I like and which I don't. I will most likely be trying KFC cigars. In the end it is the experience you get out of the cigars and not the process used to make them that matters most.

sonarman

Hey Skimmer!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I think this is closer to what the process is. Latikia is Oriental tobacco cured with woods native to Syria.

[video=vimeo;54276866]http://vimeo.com/54276866[/video]

sonarman

Hey Skimmer!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Cool video. Wouldn't that impart some of the same flavors as Latakia. Essentially they are both smoked tobaccos
It does to a degree, but the Dark Fired is more of a hickory flavor rather than a campfire flavor. I find that Latikia can be very complex like herb like, olive, exotic. While Dark Fired is chewy, meaty, and cause of the Hickory flavor almost like bacon.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
A question I have is what kind of leaf are they using? I'm assuming they won't be using the top of the line leaf that they purposely grow for their current lines. Is this going to use the "seconds" leaf and re-purpose it as it wouldn't make the cut for it's original intent, or will they be using a whole new crop in this unspecified region specifically for this new blend?

sonarman

Hey Skimmer!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
A question I have is what kind of leaf are they using? I'm assuming they won't be using the top of the line leaf that they purposely grow for their current lines. Is this going to use the "seconds" leaf and re-purpose it as it wouldn't make the cut for it's original intent, or will they be using a whole new crop in this unspecified region specifically for this new blend?
Good question. I dont see why it would not be a premium leaf since some of the discussion in the Halfwheel article mentions the use of it.