What's new

Firefighter Thread

Tazman

Tazman in NJ
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thats great Tom. I have been a volunteer firefighter in NJ for over 30 years. They are a great bunch of guys (and girls) who are involved in the community in many ways. Good Luck!!

Tazman

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I bet if you did a comparison you would find there are just as many volunteer cops as there are firefighters...Just a thought..

drew
What's your point? Your initial posts insinuates that firefighters are less heroic then Police Officers.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
nah, only stated they need heroes too!! :wink: i'll go with bill on this one though,,, the firefighters who responded to SD were absolutely amazing!! and that is such an understatement!! they are my heroes!!

as for our reserves/volunteers, i am very impressed! they put themselves through the academy ($), buy all their own equipment ($$), and work for free (-$-$-$)!

i tip my hat to all who volunteer their time to serve!!

Texas Cop

Cavalry Scout
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What's your point? Your initial posts insinuates that firefighters are less heroic then Police Officers.
My initial post was a joke. One that you will probably hear at least a thousand times from cops during your time as a fire fighter....Sheesh...

drew

ETA= hell, even most paid officers in Texas had to pay their way through training and buy their own gear...

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
ha, I undertand paid FF having to pay for their gear but I guess the rational is if you are volunteering, it's a big price to ask someone to lay out.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Way to go Tom, I been Fighting Fire for 33 years Full time with the Forest Service, I also work 9 years at VFD in Southern Cal....
It is a outstanding job and very rewarding, U will go home sore,tired,lung filled with smoke and will get up the next day ready and willing to do it again...
I can say, stay in shape, keep your head in the ball game, listen and learn and u will go far....Good luck Bro
If u have any ?'s or need help on anything just ask. U will find that there is no other BOND like the brother-hood in the Fire Service...Beside the "Ladies Luv Fire Fighters"...

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I have my ups and downs with the FD. If you do not mind all the bull shit and the politics of it all, being a volunteer fireman can be rewarding.

Personally I love the engine work as a hose beater, pulling lines, racking up the supply lines etc the best. Truck work can be a bitch with the ventilation, ladders, search and rescue etc. But what you will find in most FD is 75-80&#37; of calls are ambulance work. Seems 80% of those are not true emergencies either. Plan on 125-150 hours of EMT-B (Emergency Medical Training - Basic) work as well.

Most of all, have fun with what you are doing Tom.

BTW, I am not paid but do get a small state tax break in form of a credit. Also the state has LOSAP (Length of Service Award Program). After 25 years of service, when you turn 60 I think now, you can draw something like $300 bucks a month. I think this goes up $3-$4 a month until you die or if you have juveniles that you are responsible for.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Very cool Tom. Volunteered for 7 years Hook and Ladder Company until I moved. Yes the politics suck but the rewards are priceless. Our incorporated village footed the bill for everything including a small pension and property tax reductions. Be prepared to dedicate some time though, as a probie we were expected to make 75% of all house calls.