What's new

First Candela, First Review: Arturo Fuente Curly Head Claro

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I would be curious to find out if the binder/filler of the Curly Head is the same as any other AF cigar?!
I had an Illusione 888 candela ~1 1/2 years ago & didn't care for it either. But I've never had the regular 888. But the other day I saw a BOTL smoking a CroMagnon candela! I love the regular CroMagnon & wonder how they would compare.

Thx for the review. Now I know to stay away from the curly head.
I believe the curly heads are the only short filter smokes they make. (Think tobacco trimmings) I could be mistaken there might be others. I'll never smoke another curly head. They are indeed shit.

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks! I should have mentioned I'm kind of a Fuente whore, and even think the Exquisitos are okay. So I was all prepared to give this the benefit of the doubt given the price, and like it at least a little.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously - that's heartbreaking - sorry you had to go through that... Nothing worse than a totally crap cigar! $2.50 or $250. Man just looking at the pictures made me want to cringe.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I've only had the alec Baldwin filthy hooligan. loved it. Maybe I'm a candela fan. Don't know. But I reccom end that one.
The Filthy Hooligan is a great stick. I found the 2014 release to be a bit sweeter tasting than the original release in 2013, which was consistent with reviews I read on it. Preferred the original, but enjoyed them both. A nice change of pace cigar.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got 5 of them, only one left. Funny the first one I liked, but each one after have been bad the last one real bad didn't finish it bad. Ever time I was hoping but no joy.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an AF Breva a few weeks ago with a candela wrapper. These are short filler cigars also. I thought it was a decent smoke although it is only a step or two above Garcia y Vega, frankly. The filler is short scraps. I personally like the draw of short and mixed-filler cigars better.

Candela wrappers tend to taste grassy and creamy. Personally, I love it as a change of pace.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I had an Illusion 888 candella and while not good it wasnt terrible. It took like 2 hours and after the first I was just bored and wanted it to end. All and all bland and boring.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I do have an Avacado if there are any daring souls out there that want a cheap candella to review. I can always throw in a Ron Mexico to cleanse the palate.:vomit::vomit::vomit:

Austinoir

The luckiest guy in Shawshank
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20160209_143252.jpeg

Finally figured out the wholesaler B&M I've been buying my sticks from for the last 3.5 months has a humidor that was really no better that a closet. I've since gone to a respectable B&M that has it's humidifiers set at 65 degrees and they blow every 10 minutes like clockwork. I'm going to smoke it later tonight at the public lounge of this new swanky B&M. It was all I could afford there (broke newby). The employee recommended a Oliva claro, natural and maduro for me to start exercising my palate, but being too cool for school. I went with AF due to the lower price and use this as my test sticks, instead of the consistency Oliva offered (my buddy said the Olivas were the way to go the next day-ok, I'm a jerk who needs to look before I leap) But, I thought I had hit a lick when I saw $2.65 AF claro (had to ask what it was) and a maduro, told there was no Connecticut. So, I picked up a natural for $3. Plan on smoking them three consecutive days to get a bead on what I like and flavors and such, but your review and the subsequent mob of brotherhood villagers call this out as trash has me concerned, but it will be a $8 loss along the journey (that I can afford right now compared to the $16 for the three Olivas, but I feel those will be my next purchase after I smoke the three AFs).

I was able to find my previous review on the first AF curly head maduro I smoked about a week or so ago (sorry no photos, but it had no draw and was poorly constructed with no smoke to speak of and I think I re-lit it maybe twice). I thought I took pictures, but guess I didn't (the only photo is from when I had it in the pack):

[Smoked a Arturo Fuente curly head maduro tonight. Sadly, it's a bait & switch. Dark chocolate wrapper, which smells of musky clean female nether regions and chocolate. Hell, even tastes like chocolate when put to lips, and strangely waxy for a minute or two. But, once lit had no draw, no flavor, just pepper and ok smoke cloud. But, nothing to write home about. Good looking stick til you smoke it. But, wait! Sadly, it got worse halfway it went out after three attempts to fuel a hotter cherry w short puffs (had to relight) once done the wrapper started to unravel, but better draw and finally a hint of the smooth creamy flavors I'd been expecting from my initial draw (also burned unevenly at the tip). Disappointed, and a little lightheaded I finished the rest thinking that I won't be revisiting this stick ever again.

As a newbie this is my first review of many to follow. I have been smoking for 3 months and have ventured into maduros after exclusively smoking factory throw Connecticuts, so I don't have a wide, nor experienced palate; but my goal is to add my limited opinion on the best, flavorful and CHEAPEST cigars for those on a budget like me.]
20160209_143252.jpeg
Just re-read my own review and starting to think I'm doing this all wrong. Ha Ha![/GALLERY]

Last edited:

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ha ha - I forgot about this review. Guess I blocked that cigar out of my memory!

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Damn that's disappointing! Sorry for your crappy experience. I always associate AF with incredible stuff so this is really off putting.

I've never actually tried a candela before. I was thinking of giving the Illusione HL candela a shot, as I'm a MASSIVE fan of both the standard and maduro HL lines.

Wise choice? Or stay away?

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I can't say for sure yes or no for the Illusione, but the Romacraft Cromagnon is one of my favorite cigars and the candella version of that wasn't half bad. will definitely smoke again.