What's new

First CC Purchase ~ MOLD!!

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Yeah, vendors always tell you it bloom or plume. This is definitely not. Bloom would more like a dusting covering the entire box, not small dots like you have. You should let them know they are incorrect about the mold. Those cigars are not bad. I would do as others have said and just wipe them off and put them in a bag or small humidor and keep an eye on them. As far as the vendor goes, cross them off of your list. Lesson learned.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Emails going back & forth... here is the last one:

"Moldy is not a bad thing. It's the 2nd maturation process of the Cuban
cigar when humidity is adequate. It's like cheese, it evolves.
Just clean up the cigar with the fingers or a brush and it will look
and smoke fine."

BTW they did offer a refund upon return... just not worth the hassel. Sticked wiped down and dryboxing now before going in the Vinodor.

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Wow, that's hilarious. Trying to sell mold as a good thing.

I agree that vendors have "plume" loaded up as a normal response to mold problems. B&Ms can be better. I had a moldy 3er of CAO America Bottlerockets that Draper's in Maryland replaced no questions. The manager tried to rub it off, saw it wasn't plume, and took me into the humidor to find another package.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
I am sure they know this already. I think they all have that wording ready to copy and paste into an e-mail.
You are probably right, but you never know. Lack of knowledge as well as lack of integrity are why not all vendors are created equal. I would tend to agree with you, but if most people just drop a vendor without telling them why, they will just keep the same practice up. This is one of those situations where I wish we could just "out" the vendor as an unreliable vendor.

keinreis

BoM Oct '11
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
You are probably right, but you never know. Lack of knowledge as well as lack of integrity are why not all vendors are created equal. I would tend to agree with you, but if most people just drop a vendor without telling them why, they will just keep the same practice up. This is one of those situations where I wish we could just "out" the vendor as an unreliable vendor.
I agree with the being able to out the vendor for sure!

smelvis

Not part of the clique
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I was told recently on an order that had minor mold, easily wiped off so I needed nothing but to tell them about it.

They sent a copy of the page of the book they all use as the normal reply, after a few emails they then said after 14 years in business out of all the returned stock only two out of all of them were actual mold. I can only imagine the high numbers they had returned but still it's there standard reaction.

Good Luck.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Emails going back & forth... here is the last one:

and smoke fine."

BTW they did offer a refund upon return... just not worth the hassel. Sticked wiped down and dryboxing now before going in the Vinodor.

Are they serious? Don't ever use those a**hats again. Wow.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I really struggle with the comments "wipe it off, it'll be fine". Not all mold is harmless. Treating it as such can be hazardous. I would insist on a refund. It is also a telling indication of their inventory storage practices.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
While I do find the vendor's explanation repulsive, the mold doesn't seem to have done irreversible damage to the cigars. Wipe it off and smoke away!

I have smoked cigars with more mold than this. I carefully brushed all the mold off and smoked at a later date without any discernible affect on flavor or aroma.

I'm not apologizing for the vendor, but these cigars should smoke fine. Enjoy your smokes and next time go with a vendor who inspects boxes before shipping.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I had this problem with one of my first purchases. I contacted the vendor and got the same deal (plume/bloom), but they were happy to take them back. In the end I wiped 'em off and moved on. That vendor is one just about everyone on here has used and is probably one of the more trusted vendors out there. Just kind of goes with the territory. Now, had they pulled the whole "mold is good, second maturation" BS I probably would never have used them again.

All that being said, lots of folks on here getting WAY worked up over some white mold on the sticks. Yeah, if it were in the foot of the cigar I would return them and make a stink with the vendor if necessary, but if not, wipe it off and move on with your life. It's not a big deal. I just pulled out a Short Churchill Tubo this past weekend and it had mold on it. Wiped it off and put it in the dry box for smoking in the near future. The Tubo next to it was clear of mold and had been stored in the EXACT same conditions as the other. Was probably just put in the tubo with a bit more moisture.

Long story short, it's not the end of the world and unless it's in the foot of the cigar demanding a refund/returning the cigars just drives up the price of purchasing for everyone over the long run. YMMV.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
All that being said, lots of folks on here getting WAY worked up over some white mold on the sticks. Yeah, if it were in the foot of the cigar I would return them and make a stink with the vendor if necessary, but if not, wipe it off and move on with your life. It's not a big deal. I just pulled out a Short Churchill Tubo this past weekend and it had mold on it. Wiped it off and put it in the dry box for smoking in the near future. The Tubo next to it was clear of mold and had been stored in the EXACT same conditions as the other. Was probably just put in the tubo with a bit more moisture.
YMMV.
yes, but it's straight from the vendor and a year old. Even though it's a 10 count box, it's still a bit of coin for those smokes. I think people are having more of a problem with the way the vendor dealt with this than anything else. Just like sh&t, mold happens. The comments of the vendor were very telling.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
With u there, Kevin. It's one of those things, if u want to be sure u get smokes imperfect condition go with someone who inspects prior to shipment. But yeah, as I said, the comments about mold being good are just way out there and definitely someone I would steer clear of in the future.

---
- Sent from my personal space using my iPhone

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
and smoke fine.
Is that a french vendor? that reply seems very french to me:barf:
Trololol

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Wipe them off and just don't use that piss Pooro vendor again. You like how I did that! Wish there supplier would just run dry. To be honest with them selling terrible grey market cigars AND HIDING THE MOLD PROBLEM. At least they could say, "hey you paid 60 bucks less then any other vendor, yeah its mold, if you want better smokes pay better prices".

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Wipe them off and just don't use that piss Pooro vendor again. You like how I did that! Wish there supplier would just run dry. To be honest with them selling terrible grey market cigars AND HIDING THE MOLD PROBLEM. At least they could say, "hey you paid 60 bucks less then any other vendor, yeah its mold, if you want better smokes pay better prices".
You express-ed yourself well.

---
- Sent from my magical device

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never mind a mold that much pneumonia my cigars a very little due to a high level of humidity in wearhouse. Like brothers said brush it or just wipe it off and enjoy them.

Have fun