What's new

First CC Purchase ~ MOLD!!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is too bad for sure...

When I pay for cigars, I pay for them in mold-free condition, so I would be hesitant to just accept them.

There is a vendor that has indeed garnered a reputation for such issues and responses. A friend of mine on another forum received a similar response on a multi-box order.

He took close up pics and the furry quality was plainly visible. They still told him it was plume. He ended up sending them back (and eating the return postage $$ in the process), and when they received them they still insisted it was plume. Ridiculous.

Happened to another friend of mine on another forum... same story.

I have been smoking cigars for 20 years, and I know the difference... nonetheless, based on these issues, I will no longer use such a vendor, despite never having a bad experience with them personally...

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I've been in several cigar shops that had obvious mold on the sticks in their cases, and when I pointed it out they said it was plume. I told them they were unequivicolly wrong, that it was mold and they shoud take care of it. They told me that they knew more about it than I did. They were fools.

I've recieved moldy cigars before, and each time I've been old it was plume. Each time it was really mold. Thats' just the standard line that companies with BAD customer service give you.

Cigars don't plume when they are that young, period. Also, what's in these pictures is so obviously mold that it's laughable. If you look at it very closely, you can see that they are tiny "tree" or "mushroom" shapes. He's also wrong about mold always being colored. Haven't you ever seen white mold on some food that is too old?

Plume is very tiny crystals, often looking like powder. It tends to be more wide-spread as opposed to isolated "colonies" like mold (notice in these pictures the substance is in tiny circles here and there .. those are mold colonies). Mold is also much taller (sticks out farther) than plume.

I recently dug out a cigar that was covered in white stuff. My first thought was that it was mold, but when I looked closely it was definately plume. It was thin powder, not raised up off the wrapper. It dusted off very easily (and the cigar was great!).

In any event, just wipe the mold off like has been discussed and the sticks should be okay.
Just wipe it off and keep them separated from your other sticks in their own separate Tupperware. Check on them regularly and that's about it. Smoke em, don't bother sending them back. As far as plume, its all BS. There is a 3rd party lab that has asked for people to send in their sticks with "supposed" plume for years now (even the stuff people describe as dusty crystals), its all been different varieties of mold, every single one of them (even the ones that have been "aged correctly in the right RH and temperature). I have had a couple sticks that were definitely aged correctly and had some crystalline structures, this will tend to congregate around the veins. There is a thread on here that discusses this and all the different variants (http://www.botl.org/threads/afraid-to-ask-plume-or-other.92520/page-2#post-2016497), as well as many other threads, and there is a link to one of the groups that identified all the different "plume" variants as different strains of mold. Don't believe a retailer that tells you it's plume and a good sign of aging correctly. Especially one that says mold is only green. There are thousands of different types of mold. All BS to sell sticks.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
There is a mycologist you can send the pictures in too, and even samples of the mold, if you want to go that far with it, who will likely run tests for you. He is not affiliated with the lab that does this, but is one of the leading mycologists in the world and has discovered many new mycelium variants, his name is Paul Stamets. Look him up, I'm sure you can find his contact info through his website.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
There is a mycologist you can send the pictures in too, and even samples of the mold, if you want to go that far with it, who will likely run tests for you. He is not affiliated with the lab that does this, but is one of the leading mycologists in the world and has discovered many new mycelium variants, his name is Paul Stamets. Look him up, I'm sure you can find his contact info through his website.
Stamets is a hero of mine. He's out there, but he's a genius. Though I think he usually focuses on mushrooms rather than mold.
Curious though, are you using Tapatalk? Cause this is some pretty heavy duty thread necromancy..

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Stamets is a hero of mine. He's out there, but he's a genius. Though I think he usually focuses on mushrooms rather than mold.
Curious though, are you using Tapatalk? Cause this is some pretty heavy duty thread necromancy..
Haha, nope I have to use my laptop to perform my necromancing skills to their fullest potential :asshat:(y):sneaky:. Paul is the man, and yes he is definitely out there but is for sure a genius and one of the forward thinkers of our time; and you are correct he does focus more on mushrooms but he has done research on mold spores in the past. Very interesting work actually. I wish I could find the name of the lab that has smashed all of the cigar smokers dreams out their regarding their treasured plume. The thread I linked to does have an interesting write up and pictures though about the mold variants typically seen on properly stored and well-aged cigars.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another reference....https://www.simplycigars.co.uk/guide/cigar-old-or-plume-bloom-45/

How can you tell the difference between Bloom (Plume) and Mold?
By Rick Rodriguez, Chief Blener at CAO

“The white dusty powder is called “plume” (a.k.a. bloom), and many long-time cigar fans only hope that this occurs to their cigars. Plume is evidence that you have a well-aged and properly cared for cigar. The white dust is crystallized oils from the cigar itself. Plume is harmless, and is typically brushed gently from the cigar when you are ready to smoke it. There is no guarantee that plume will actually occur, even if your cigars are meticulously maintained, but when it does, it signals an opportune time to have a smoke, as the cigar has matured very nicely.”

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Yes @ApeSmokes and @WatchmanUSA, that was the study I was referring to that was posted on the thread I linked to. However, I don't know if that is the exact lab I was referencing. There was a lab (a US-based one) that was willing to pay anyone (I forget the amount, but I believe it was different than the amount listed by the Australian lab), if they could send in a cigar with legitimate "plume." Literally every single entry that was provided, even by cigar aficionados who sent in well-aged cigars (some even a few decades old) stored in the right RH and temperature, was a different variant of mold. The study you posted is pretty much exactly in accordance with the labs findings.

Last edited:

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Yeah send em back brother.

They have been doing some interesting research on FOH of late regarding Mold / Plume argument, and it’s always Mold.

Any reputable source will send an exchange or refund. If not don’t use them again!