What's new

First time pipe smoke

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I agree with Chris. At the very least, pick up/order an english blend, a virginia blend, and maybe an aromatic. See what you like, and keep expanding from there. As stated by someone earlier, aromatics are typically not very pleasurable to smoke, but smell nice. Tobaccoreviews.com is usually pretty accurate with their categorization of blend types.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I agree with Chris. At the very least, pick up/order an english blend, a virginia blend, and maybe an aromatic. See what you like, and keep expanding from there. As stated by someone earlier, aromatics are typically not very pleasurable to smoke, but smell nice. Tobaccoreviews.com is usually pretty accurate with their categorization of blend types.
What would you recommend in those categories?

Right now in my cart is
night cap
early morning
Lane 1Q

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
my head is spinning. english, aromatic, dutch, scottish..... i don't even know where to begin. I'm not really liking the samplers on pipesandcigars.... Going to purchase 1oz of multiple tobaccos. it'll be more expensive but at least i can pick and choose.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
my head is spinning. english, aromatic, dutch, scottish..... i don't even know where to begin. I'm not really liking the samplers on pipesandcigars.... Going to purchase 1oz of multiple tobaccos. it'll be more expensive but at least i can pick and choose.
My head is spinning also. I really just read the reviews and say to myself if I'd like it or not. And expand from there. I'm not doing the labeling aromatics, english, latakia etc. If I like it, I'll smoke more of it. Perfect example- blind smoke of the nording hunter series labrador pipe baccy. I forgot the mixture but smells amazing and smokes mild. Nice hazelnut and chocolate notes when you open the tin. Ahhhh.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I think I did alright.

1oz nightcap
1oz early morning
Tin of escudo
Tin of orlik golden
1oz Seattle pipe club Mississippi River
A couple more cobs.

Shipping is God awful expensive on p&c though. 25 percent of the total of my order....

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I did alright.

1oz nightcap
1oz early morning
Tin of escudo
Tin of orlik golden
A couple more cobs.

Shipping is God awful expensive on p&c though. 25 percent of the total of my order....
LOL - I think your selection is great!

Of those you listed, I have only ever enjoyed the Dunhill's. So much so however, that I already bought more :). I have heard good things about the others you have listed though - great order!

As for shipping... yeah, sigh. It's the bane of internet shopping. I try to wait and order the $95 or whatever the min order is for free shipping. But then that's a bit overkill if you are just starting and not sure if you are going to enjoy it all. A Brick and Mortar location is priceless when starting out.

Keep up informed! If you don't enjoy some of those tobacco's - piping might not be for you :).

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
I think I did alright.

1oz nightcap
1oz early morning
Tin of escudo
Tin of orlik golden
A couple more cobs.

Did you place your order?
How close to the free shipping mark did you get?
I would probably throw a VA in there as well...

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Yeah, I would have probably had you pick two of each of:
- Aro
- VA
- Lat / English
- Perique / VA/Per
- Burley / VA/Bur

When you smoke the MS River, the tangy sweet component will be the VA, but I find that to be a very well balanced tobacco overall. A little smoky, a little spicy, a little sweet, but nothing overpowering the others.

The reason I asked if you had already placed your order is that there's an online retailer I've used that is always free shipping, regardless of price. I'll try to remember which one that was... they don't do small bulk though, but they do tins.

Regardless, we're all excited to hear what you find out!

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Shoot. Next time I'll have to improve my ordering skills!

If you think of that site, I'm all ears! Thanks again!
The site is tobaccopipes.com
I've ordered from them in the past with no issue, but it looks like they've raised their prices. They were probably losing to much on small order shipping!
If your looking for one or two tins it might save you money. Their bulk on the other hand is not just non-tinned, but actually "bulk quantity" pre-bagged from the manufacturers. No one or two ounce orders.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Thanks I checked it out. Might get a tin of frog Morton !
If you're just starting out with the frog Morton, pipes & cigars has the 5 tin sampler, I think $42.00?? I might be a little off on price. Haven't been on the website in a while. Just had some of the Frog Morton Cellar last night. It was delicious. And smoked beautifully in my new pipe. Haven't tried the other 4 in the sampler yet, but have been hearing all good things. And from the 1 and only tin I've had....so far so good!