What's new

Fiscal Responsibility

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
^^ This is in no way exclusive to CigarBid or any other site lol. Peruse some old threads in the humidor forum. 95% of the guys who start a "What size humidor should I get" thread repost within the first 3-6 months looking for more storage....Guaranteed.

Welcome to the brotherhood. Do yourself a favor and just buy a cabinet or coolidor lol
I'm seriously considering a cabinet... My two humidors are at capacity, and I have 62 more cigars arriving from CigarBid, 19 from PodMan's, etc. etc.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Great post, just made me think twice about an impulse purchase. A stick as opposed to a box will suffice.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Great thread. This can be a very expensive hobby. I have learned to plan my purchases carefully and to be very selective. If I don't have the expendable cash, I don't buy. My credit rating sucks because I have not had a credit card for 25 years. But I owe nothing to anyone. Property tax, insurance and monthly utilities. I wouldn't have it any other way. The down side is last year I decided to rent a car for a vacation trip to save putting the miles on my car. My CR was too low to rent a car. Lol I can live with that.

I have had an affection for quality cigars for over 20 years, but didn't allow myself to get into the hobby until a year ago at the age of 60. Kids are raised, house and cars pair for, time for a good smoke. Lots of priorities in life.

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Great thread. This can be a very expensive hobby. I have learned to plan my purchases carefully and to be very selective. If I don't have the expendable cash, I don't buy. My credit rating sucks because I have not had a credit card for 25 years. But I owe nothing to anyone. Property tax, insurance and monthly utilities. I wouldn't have it any other way. The down side is last year I decided to rent a car for a vacation trip to save putting the miles on my car. My CR was too low to rent a car. Lol I can live with that.

I have had an affection for quality cigars for over 20 years, but didn't allow myself to get into the hobby until a year ago at the age of 60. Kids are raised, house and cars pair for, time for a good smoke. Lots of priorities in life.
This is doing it right. Good on ya brother! A model for the younger BOTL "In Cash We Trust"

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Appreciate the advice and i agree that it is important to remember not to overextend yourself.

^great example above

-Brother Broadleaf

Cigarth Vader

Official Jedi of BOTL.org
Retailer
Rating - 100%
99   0   0

This is doing it right. Good on ya brother! A model for the younger BOTL "In Cash We Trust"
So true. I'm lucky, in that growing up, I watched as folks around me did everything that they shouldn't have done. Spend money on the wrong things, using credit freely and beyond their means. It gave me a pretty healthy understanding of what not to do.

Now here I am, 3 days after my 30th birthday and I've already bought and sold a house, I have 6 months living expenses in a savings account, and only have a car payment and student loans.

I've also been blessed to have folks MUCH wiser than myself act as my mentors to give me the tough talks whenever I started to go off track. To everyone that is starting out in cigars and wants to acquire more cigars, HTF cigars, CC, etc just remember this: "Don't compare your beginning to someone else's middle".

No need to rush it. Take the time to get your affairs in order, the cigars will be around when you're ready for them.

Be smart. Got a place to live? Good. Food on the table? Great. Clothes on your back? Perfect. Now go find a cigar to smoke ;)

Cheers

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Really great for new and veteran smokers alike.
My wife and I are on a tight budget. Real tight. Meaning I only get little cash to myself every 2 week pay period.
The B&M I go to "prefers" cash under a certain amount, so that helps me immediately. I also hate credit cards and refuse to use them for a disposable hobby such as cigars.
Another thing I read and liked on this thread is the "keeping up with the Jones's mentality." I agree that this can be dangerous, and therefore my small collection (about 8-10) stays small.
But, I have cigars on hand, and when I can allot a few bucks I go to the B&M and grab a few more.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I believe that any hobby one has, should be paid for with cash/money you have on hand. I put purchases on credit card but only with cash to back it. I have $50 a week for my hobbies and I have a few different hobbies. I have spent a lot of coin in the last 6 months, but thus far no big regrets. Some good info on this thread though.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Really great for new and veteran smokers alike.
My wife and I are on a tight budget. Real tight. Meaning I only get little cash to myself every 2 week pay period.
The B&M I go to "prefers" cash under a certain amount, so that helps me immediately. I also hate credit cards and refuse to use them for a disposable hobby such as cigars.
Another thing I read and liked on this thread is the "keeping up with the Jones's mentality." I agree that this can be dangerous, and therefore my small collection (about 8-10) stays small.
But, I have cigars on hand, and when I can allot a few bucks I go to the B&M and grab a few more.
So...you need gars? Be careful on botl. ;)

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
To everyone that is starting out in cigars and wants to acquire more cigars, HTF cigars, CC, etc just remember this: "Don't compare your beginning to someone else's middle".
Guilty of this a thousand times over. Get into trades and bombing runs and my stock doesn't compare. So then I spend more to try to keep up.

But if I stop n think I've only been smoking a little over a year, and I'm comparing my bombs to those who are 10+ years deep... I wasn't even legal smoking age 10 years ago, this makes sense.

ctmiller

Always Ashing!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post! It is way too easy to get caught up in what is trendy and also trying to find that "one" cigar that you have to have. Reading the posts is an awakening that many should look into.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
That great deal you just "can't miss" will be an even better one next month or the one after.
That hot limited cigar you "just have to have", there will be another limited soon enough.

Compulsive spending or buying beyond means is a symptom of other issues and not the problem itself.
I've heard it said "enough is plenty".
These are the voices of reason in my head...
That I never listen too.