What's new

Fiscal Responsibility

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I should show this thread to my daughter. She just spent $3,500 on tits all the while knowing how much we've borrowed toward her education. Kids!

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Right on the money sir! I firmly believe that you should only pay interest on A home and your education. Credit cards are an easy way to turn yourself into a slave to a financial institution. The only positive about this financial crisis is that more of us are learning to live within our means. I can't remember the last time I made a purchase on a credit card. I just cannot see myself handing my money to someone else month after month. I live modestly. I don't own a new car(no payments), 60 inch TV, or a fishing boat. I also do not write checks for one hundred dollars every month only to see my balance go down twenty.
It pains me to see people slave away and have their wealth however great or small given away for relatively nothing in return. Please use your common sense.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
This should be stickied. Let's promote a healthy enjoyment of this hobby, it's kinda sad to see a HTF tat or opus x auction for the purposes of putting food on the table or presents under the tree.

If you're not a baller, you don't need baller smokes. Plenty of Padron x000's and other affordables to enjoy until you do reach that level.

I'm not going to say that my wallet has strayed from time to time so this applies to myself as well. So if you find yourself in a hole and need to sell some of your stash... then sell it off but don't forget the lesson. After all, they're just dried leaves.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I do worry about others at times, mainly the younger guys and the newbs to the board looking for acceptance. Bombing. The true BOTL doesn't bomb for notoriety he bombs because he wants to share his passion for this hobby with another, maybe he has access to sticks that someone else doesn't or maybe he just had a righteous experience with a cigar and wants to shout it out to the world via USPS. If you're going to give away something you spent hard earned money on do it for the right reasons, not because you feel you have to. IMHO an act of kindness extended to another needs no accolades nor reward because the act in and of itself stands on it's own.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
In addition, I know that if I post a personal review on anything that isn't a high-end smoke, it would either get laughed at or ignored. Why bother?

Not that there is anything wrong with an expensive cigar (although I wouldn't know because I've never experienced one); it's just that the average Joes should be represented here as well.
I would like to see some different reviews posted as would others. I am not really into budget smokes but I know there are a lot of people on here that are. Reading something about a cigar that is not a Tatuaje would be refreshing.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Nice post brocatus.

Post all the reviews you want of less expensive cigars. Therer are plenty of guys out there on a budget. This is evidenced by the number of "cheap smoke" threads. As far as buying on a budget, you just need to keep an eye out for the right deals and pick them up as finances allow it. If you are perfectly happy smoking what you are smoking then you are doing as well or better than most.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I know all to well how bad credit cards can ruin your life. I am living that lesson right now. I am paying down all of my credit cards while trying not to use them. I do have a child, a new car and house, but I also just started a new job making around double what I was before, so Im looking at around a year before I am debt free.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would like to see some different reviews posted as would others. I am not really into budget smokes but I know there are a lot of people on here that are. Reading something about a cigar that is not a Tatuaje would be refreshing.
X 2...amen brudda!

Rating - 96.7%
32   1   0
Fortunately I work in an industry that is never going away unless something drastic happens. I would like to think that my job is secure forever, but that would be just crazy. I think the best thing most of us learned in the last five years is how unregulated debt can spiral out of control. I personally have become more conscious to the way I go about buying things. I use mostly cash now, but I still use credit cards with low ceilings, and pay them off every month to keep good credit. I make very good money in my field but I have a modest sized home that I bought new so I could pay it off quickly. Also living in a state with lower costs of living helps out tremendously.

Also I invest my money wisely. I set aside around 25% of my paycheck to investments. 10% to IRAs and 15% to 401Ks and the other 10% goes to a cash stock account that I can access in times of emergencies. One of the most important things my parents taught me was to always keep my money moving. Never let money sit in a savings account.And always keep enough cash around for at least 6 months of expenses. Lessons learned from parents who grew up poor in the Philippines. Always keep your head up cause bad times are only temporary.