What's new

Fix an uneven burn

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
There have been times where this has worked for me, my thought process being that heat rises and maybe if I can direct more heat to the area that isn't buring that area will heat up and burn faster. Doesn't work all the time, but I have had success with it.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
There have been times where this has worked for me, my thought process being that heat rises and maybe if I can direct more heat to the area that isn't buring that area will heat up and burn faster. Doesn't work all the time, but I have had success with it.
That's the opposite -- the advice says to turn the area that is NOT burning DOWN. I think I have always done what you do, turn the unburned area UP, but now I gotta try this. Something about the smoke that comes out slowing the burned side down and letting the other catch up...

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
That's the opposite -- the advice says to turn the area that is NOT burning DOWN. I think I have always done what you do, turn the unburned area UP, but now I gotta try this. Something about the smoke that comes out slowing the burned side down and letting the other catch up...
Interesting, I see another post above saying the same thing so I will give that a shot the next time I get an uneven burn. I will also start rotating my stick.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Interesting, I see another post above saying the same thing so I will give that a shot the next time I get an uneven burn. I will also start rotating my stick.
I was just taught about this by Russ, and this is why, "Fire, after all, needs oxygen to burn, and the bottom of the cigar will burn faster than the top because it has more access to oxygen. This is also why you should rotate your cigar as you smoke."

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I found it to do very little to turn it this or that direction, so I just use a lighter to fix it if it really bothers me that badly.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I rotate it down so it is less visible. Good if it help. When it bothers me I try to toast the unburnt section. I fail to see how up or down would let more or less oxygen; this thing is available all around...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely rotate the slow burning side down… it is a matter of oxygen access, the topside oxygen availability is displaced by smoke.

Btw, this won't mean shit if the cigar was improperly bunched…

BR,

STS

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Nothing a little touch of a lighter flame can't handle. A quick little toast, and you're right as rain, generally speaking.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm with the rest of you folks who just go ahead a pull out the lighter. Tonight I was smoking a cheapie La Aurora El Cobre and it started to canoe big time. I was going to try this recommendation out, but realized that the side that was burning fast had been to the top all along. In fact, most of the time I find a cigar canoeing, the faster burning side is usually to the top. Then again, that may have something to do with the powered ventilation in my smoke room.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Rotation is the way to go for me. I will have to try the "cool side down" method though. And like others have said a quick light always does the trick.

Rating - 77.8%
8   2   0
Definitely rotate the slow burning side down… it is a matter of oxygen access, the topside oxygen availability is displaced by smoke.

Btw, this won't mean shit if the cigar was improperly bunched…

BR,

STS
That makes sense to me. I've never known what to do, so I usually put flame to the slow side...I will have to try this

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I was just taught about this by Russ, and this is why, "Fire, after all, needs oxygen to burn, and the bottom of the cigar will burn faster than the top because it has more access to oxygen. This is also why you should rotate your cigar as you smoke."
Two ligering questions bother me about this response:

1) There aren't already a dozen threads about this for you to "Yodis"?
2) You are just finding out now about the oxygen displacement caused by smoke. This means that you haven't been around the board that long, which I doubted and it turns out you have been here for just over one year. ONLY ONE YEAR? How is that possible? It seems like so much longer...

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Two ligering questions bother me about this response:

1) There aren't already a dozen threads about this for you to "Yodis"?
2) You are just finding out now about the oxygen displacement caused by smoke. This means that you haven't been around the board that long, which I doubted and it turns out you have been here for just over one year. ONLY ONE YEAR? How is that possible? It seems like so much longer...
Which makes me ask, how do you "Yodis" something? Do I want to do this? Will I need to sign a waiver? What about a medical exam before or after I "Yodis" something? Is it catchy?

These are things I need to know...