What's new

Flavor profiles more distinct in CCs?

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Will be smoking it on Monday. In NYC since Wednesday and staying for the weekend and. Was too scared to bring cubans across the border. Sorry for the delay guys

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Alright guys

I have all the reviews/guesses for cigar No.4 and here they are:

2008 Bolivar Bonita

Maverickdrinkers review and guess

My guess is that it is a hoyo de monterray Le hoyo du roi. Has some woody characteristics as well as hints of creaminess. A slight tinge of mint?

Jwrussell's guess and review

This is just killing me. This cigar taunted me the whole way, and continues to taunt with it's long finish. I should know this. I shouldn't even have to wonder, but the whole way I went back and forth. I still question myself, and I blame this contest. LOL. At any rate, I have to make my guess, so I'm going with Bolivar.

Joiletilfire's review and guess

Tight Pre light Draw. Really hard roll. Ruff looking wrapper and very tight bunch as well. I would guess a value cigar or one out of the provincial factories.
Prelight draw brings heavy tobacco taste.
1st few puffs and still drawing hard. Smokeable but working at it. Spice on back end. Boldness shows thru right away and has some depth to smoke in mouth as well. 1st inch or so has a slight tangyness as well. Earthy flavors coming and going. Leather thru out this cigar during most of smoking time. LONG lasting cigar that went over a hour for the size. (tighter draw?) Very full bodied toward the back half.
My final guess:
A Bolivar Bonitas.

Congrats to Joiletilfire and Jwrussell for pegging this cigar as a Bolivar:thumbsup:

You guys have went 2 for 4 so far, so if you can peg cigar No.5 you win the bet.:yes:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
No. 5 review has been sent. From above, JFire sent his for No. 5 as well, so it's all on you Mav! Excited to see how this finishes up.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Hey guys

I'll be out of town after work and wont be back until Sunday night. Will reveal cigar No.5 when all guesses/reviews are in.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I got the review guys. I'll reveal the cigar tomorrow.

There is something wrong with my home computer? My windows has been shut down or is being deleted?:dunno: I should be able to post everything at work tomorrow.

Sorry for the delay

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Cigar No.5 2009 SLR Serie A

joiletilfires review/guess

142ish x50ish
Firm feel Ruff wrapper and light in the hand. ( duh it's a CC ding dong ) Cold sniff on the foot reveals floral and slight sweetness. Cut with the trusty Palio with a great draw. First few puffs reveal a slight hints of woodiness and great tobacco flavor. To me shows like a HDM Imo but well see!
1st:
Good Ambient aromas, slightly bitter, Woody roasted tobacco and easy to retrohale. It def is hard on me doing these blind reviews because most of the brands I know I've had but I'm having a hard time pinning them down. But hey they do all come from a small Island
2nd:
Dryness creeping in with woodiness still present and a sweetness pronounced only on the retrohale. Some floral notes showing but only very slight if that.
3rd:
Cigar has been Med bodied so far w more woodiness and spice on the tongue now present. (cinnamon spice not pepper) Leather has begun to creep in but only in the last 3rd. Finally rounding out the last 3rd notes of espresso showed on the last inch or so.
My Guess:
HDM EE
Kirk thanks again for doing this. It's one of the things that just makes botl that much better!
Jfire

Maverickdrinkers review and guess

cigar no. 5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well, here goes nothing. the size reminds me of a cohiba siglo iv.

a quick punch and we are off to the races. tough draw. not a lot of smoke coming out. gonna try to loosen it up with a draw tool.

still no go. tent peg city. surprising seeing that it had time to settle down.

gonna guess cohiba siglo iv due to ghe size alone. will put in a dry box to see if i can revive this one to try later.

Jwrussell review and guess

Ok. Corona Gorda time. Very light wrapper and not the prettiest of cigars. More than a couple of green splotches (water spots) and some slight wrinkles and tears. Nothing bad, but not a beautiful cigar. Draw was spot on and the burn was good, needing just a touchup or two. Light on the palette versus heavy, so not Boli or Partagas and not the right flavors for Cohiba or Trinidad. This is tough. The two obvious choices for me are either the Mag 46 or JL 1. We have already reviewed an H. Upmann, so is Kirk a fan or being tricky by having two of the same marca? I'm wishing I paid more attention when smoking these two sticks in the past. Both are in the humi, I enjoy them both, so one would think I wouldn't have this problem. Of course my typical smoking thoughts are either, damn this is good, eh this is ok, or wow this sucks! Not terribly helpful right now. Oh well, I said when starting out that I wasn't the best person to prove my hypothesis, and I think maybe Kirk needs some mailbox smackage anyway (probably unbanded!). I'm going with JL on this one and we'll see where the chips fall. Excellent challenge, Kirk, really enjoyed this!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
i think the only cuban i have smoked is a romeo y julieta out here in afghan, wasnt all that great but i guess i shouldn't base any opinions on that.
Nope, I wouldn't base anything on that. Could be questions on authenticity, proper storage, etc. Plus, it may be that your palate needs some developing as well (you are pretty new to the hobby, right?). The first cuban I had was during a trip outside of the states and I don't remember it being anything worth remembering, but I wasn't really into the hobby yet and it could have been a fake.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Cigar No.5 2009 SLR Serie A
Well hell. Nice contest, bro'. Shoot me your addy in case I didn't save the package these came in. SLR's are one of the Marcas I just don't smoke much of. That being said, I smoked one of my own JL 1's after smoking this stick and was still pretty comfortable that I had made the right guess. Guess that says something about this overall topic, huh? There are certainly some very distinct flavor profiles in CC's, but the blanket statement about distinctness has to be revised I guess. Of course, all of that comes with the caveat that my palate is not the best nor the most refined. I only smoke a couple sticks per week on the average and I'm not a big one for reviews. I simply don't taste enough distinct flavors to make them interesting, lol. I would be curious to see the same contest with some true CC aficionados who were confident in their ability to distinguish individual marca profiles. Consider that challenge extended. :wink:

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I agree Jason would like to see it with guys that are 10 years or more daily cc guys. Kirk sen me the total owed thanks!
Damn reading my review would def make me think slr from what I had tasted. Sweet floral woody. Damn Cuba to many of the same subtleties.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I wanted to post this right after the last review but didn't have enough time before my shift started.

As I mentioned before it's very tough to reconize the profile of modern Havanas. Box to box can very from my experiences. The bands can really help you identify flavor profiles, but when they are off it's a lot more difficult.

I'd like to thank all 3 contestants for participating in this. JFire, Jwrussell & Maverickdrinker. Everything went well and was done in an orderly time.

When the Summer ends I'll organize some more BOTL blind reviews. I always enjoy reading them and seeing what other poeples thoughts and guesses are?