What's new

Flavor profiles more distinct in CCs?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Wow. No chit. That really throws me. I would have told you that of all the marcas I could have recognized Partagas. Never had that specific smoke, but still.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
"cigar number 1 is the Partagas petite corona especial."

I'm a idiot...... Probably my fav pc which I'm on my 3rd box in 2 years.( not a box smoker but more day to day dif singles)
I've got no business in this review!
Insert hammer to head emoticon.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Cigar No.2 2008 H. Upmann No.2

Maverickdrinkers review & Guess of cigar No.2

mystery cigar #2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my review.

Mystery cigar #2
Torpedo

Well constructed cigar. Feels nicely packed. Slight give when squeezed. A sniff of the cigar gives little aroma. Slight tone of ammonia? Not giving much, in terms of distinguishable smells.

A quick cut from my palio and a test draw brings earth and a hint of cedar. I think that this will be a strong cigar.

Add fire to the end and we are off. The burn takes well and the draw is quite cool. Pepper, earthiness and cedar hit me like a freight train. Quite overpowering. Might have been that I didn’t expect this as it took me by surprise. A little harsh. Might be a young cigar? The burn line is nice and even and the draw is firm.

The cigar starts to tone it down by the second third. No sweetness at all. All power but, a little refined now. The cigar is mellowing out. Distinct hints of toasted almonds starting to mix in.

The final third shows more of the same thing. Decent cigar. Just not my profile I think.

My guess is that this is a Partagas PSP2

Jwrussell's review and guess of cigar No.2

blind taste test: Cigar #2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, so I didn't get near the reviewing I wanted to get done this past weekend, but here's Cigar #2.

This was a good looking Piramide, with the only issue being that the head appeared squished. Not veiny at all, very well constructed, though with an odd cap. As best I can tell, the cap was simply an extension of the wrapper instead of a true "cap". Unfortunately, I didn't have any other torpedos/piramides to compare it with to see if that was normal, though I don't remember that being the case.

The size was 158mm x 20mm as I measured it, which is pretty much exactly the Cuban Piramide size.

Good draw on the prelight that held throughout the smoke. From the prelight draw I would say not Boli or Partagas. Then I light and take my first puff. WTF? Cohiba? Is that possible. No, can't be. There isn't a regular Cohiba Piramide is there?

Monte 2? HU 2? Cohiba?
I just don’t know. What a great smoke! Kirk, if this is one of the ones you mentioned that is discontinued, I’m going to be seriously peeved at you! Unless this is one of the LE’s the only Cohiba I know of it could be is the one from the Selecion series. And to think that you might have sent out three of these?

All I can do is take a guess at this and go for the HU #2. I'll have to hope the next three smokes sing out to me!

Jason

Joiletilfire's guess and review of cigar No.2

156x52
Firm perfect rolled beli w a slight box press on the end. Bready, slight spice, AGED tobacco. Purfect burn along the way with graham cracker sweetness cinnamon spice in the middle. FLAN in a cigar!!!!!! BOLD in the 2nd half. 1st thought Partagas.
Final guess:
Partagas EL from 2000

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Way to go Jason, you pegged it for an Upmann No.2:tiphat:

Go ahead and send me your review for cigar No.3, if you haven't already.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
DAMN IT!!! I was going to guess the H Upmann no 2 however, I had limited experience with this cigar. I kept changing my answer!!!!!!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Way to go Jason, you pegged it for an Upmann No.2:tiphat:

Go ahead and send me your review for cigar No.3, if you haven't already.
WooHoo! I won't take very much credit for that though, I really did just take a guess on that.

Sorry man, that cigar is still waiting on me. I'll get to that one this weekend at the latest. I wanted to sneak it in yesterday, but I just didn't have the time. Sorry for the hold-up gents.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
smoking no 3 tonight. YOu might want to send me your addy in advance Kirk. I have to go runner, runner, runner to come out on top of this one.

I knew I should have said Upman no 2. :)

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
This one should be a little easier for you guys to reconize. It's size should give it away.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I've gotten to distracted by the "2 were discontinued" statement! At least that's what I'm sticking with!

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Cigar No.3 2003 Punch Super Selection No.1

Maverickdrinkers review and guess of cigar No.3

mystery cigar #2

appearance: light claro wrapper, well constucted, packed foot. No soft spots to be had.

Very woodsy smell pre light. A hint of almond?

A quick punch and the cigar lights easily. Very grey ash. Woodsy and light hints of cedar. This cigar is very mild. Aftertaste is very woodsy as well.

The cigar doesn't change throughout the smoke. Very one dimensional.

My guess is a hoyo de deiux.

Jwrussell's review & guess of cigar No.3

OK, so here's Cigar #3.

First, I'd like to complain about the, "this one should be easier" comment, LOL. I'm fairly sure I got the Marca on this one, but after the first two who knows. You say the size should give this away. Well, size is a Corona Grande: 155mm x 16.67mm. There's no real shortage of cigars this size, but it can be narrowed down some as I'm guessing you didn't send us a Davidoff or Dunhill, hehe.

So, to the guess. The cigar was well constructed with a good firm, but not too firm draw. The cigar was good, with what I would say was the Partagas profile throughout. I tend to really like Partagas smokes, but of the three smokes so far this is probably the one that I liked the least. Nothing really wrong with it, it just didn't do all that much for me. If I had to guess the specific stick I would say Partagas Corona Grande as I believe that is one of the cigars discontinued in '09.

Three down, two to go...wonder if I have to go runner, runner now...

Jolietilfire's review and guess of cigar No.3

150 ish x 42
Ruff toothy cigar well bunched. Bitter start with floral undertones. Nutty ness pronunced first inch. To me a Punch maybe would be first guess. Some slight sweetness on the 2nd 3rd. Fairly consistent w a somewhat ruff burn that needed touchups. Med- med full thru out. Some dryness to the palate on the snd half of the cigar.
My final guess:
Punch SS #1

Congrats to Justin for pegging cigar No.3:applause:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Nicely done Justin. That would have been my second guess. I don't smoke much of the Punch Marca. And that's one of the discontinued sticks down. Gotta go runner, runner now, damn. LOL.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Alright guys go ahead and smoke cigar No.4 and PM me your review and guess.