What's new

Florida: Meetup and Travel Advice

BQuain

Banned
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Cowboy, keep me posted on when you are going to be here. YOU NEED to hit Corona Cigar Shop, that's all you need to know. MASSIVE cigar shop and a MUST hit when in Orlando.

When are you coming, sorry, i rushed to answer seeing you're coming. ha!

BQ

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Cowboy, keep me posted on when you are going to be here. YOU NEED to hit Corona Cigar Shop, that's all you need to know. MASSIVE cigar shop and a MUST hit when in Orlando.

When are you coming, sorry, i rushed to answer seeing you're coming. ha!

BQ
Here is the plan:

I am going to fly in to Orlando on Saturday the 12th. I am going to play golf on Sunday the 13th and Monday the 14th. I have meetings Tuesday - Friday. Then I am going to rent a car and drive down to South Beach. My wife is going to fly in and meet me there and we will fly out of Miami on Tuesday.

If anyone wants to play golf on Sunday or Monday in Orlando it would be great or meet up for a smoke after.

Then I can sneak away for around four hours or so anytime in South Beach. I would love to hook up with some brothers if any of you have any time, let me know.
:blob:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Sorry Cowboy, haven't been on...Holidays and all that.

Orlando is 1-1.5 hours to Tampa depending on how you drive and what part of Orlando you are coming from. Figure 1.5 hours. Miami from Tampa is at least 4 hours, could be 5, again depending on where exactly you are trying to go and how you drive. Orlando to Miami is more of a straight shot so 4 hours, maybe a bit shorter if you are a lead foot.

I will most likely have an Obedience trial to deal with that weekend, but it is local so depending on when you will be around it should work. At the worst I wouldn't be free until Saturday evening. These things tend to start early and end mid afternoon. Though most of the time I'm done early afternoon at the latest. Just let me know what you decide and what the final plans are and if you will be around we'll work something out.

Last edited:

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Sorry Cowboy, haven't been on...Holidays and all that.

Orlando is 1-1.5 hours to Tampa depending on how you drive and what part of Orlando you are coming from. Figure 1.5 hours. Miami from Tampa is at least 4 hours, could be 5, again depending on where exactly you are trying to go and how you drive. Orlando to Miami is more of a straight shot so 4 hours, maybe a bit shorter if you are a lead foot.

I will most likely have an Obedience trial to deal with that weekend, but it is local so depending on when you will be around it should work. At the worst I wouldn't be free until Saturday evening. These things tend to start early and end mid afternoon. Though most of the time I'm done early afternoon at the latest. Just let me know what you decide and what the final plans are and if you will be around we'll work something out.
Yeah I would only have time for a smoke on Friday night after 6:30 pm in Tampa area. If you think that will work out I will make that happen. If not, I will take that straight shot to Miami and we will hook up next time. I know dogs shows require a lot of prep, so trust me I will understand. It would be great to have a smoke and a few beers though. What type of dogs do you have?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
OK bro, you are confusing me. Are you coming in Friday or Saturday. Your last post said the 12th which is Saturday, lol. If Friday, then Friday evening should work out fine.

I have two Vizslas. They are Hungarian Pointers, if you know what Weimaraners look like, imagine one of them, a bit smaller and brown. Thankfully this is just an Obedience trial and not a dog show, but you are right, still takes some prep. Most of it though is the actual training and that is ongoing. I shouldn't have any issues breaking away the evening before.

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
OK Sorry - If you are around on Friday the 18th around 6:30 pm I was going to drive to Tampa from Orlando on my way to Miami. I need to be in Miami on Saturday the 19th by 6 pm.

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
So I have a couple tee times in Orlando so far - I am playing Grande Pines Golf Club and Falcon's Fire Golf Club
Are these courses any good? The concierge at my hotel recommended them.

In want to play Miami Beach Golf Club when I get down there. The bastards won't give a single a tee time. Pricey too $200 per round ooch. The course looks awesome. I guess I will have to go wait a few hours to get on.

Last edited:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Sorry, not all that familiar with the Orlando courses. All I can tell you is that World Woods and Orange County National are both excellent courses.

I gotcha now. I may have a show and trial that weekend, but it is close so should be no problem for Friday the 18th.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
So I have a couple tee times in Orlando so far - I am playing Grande Pines Golf Club and Falcon's Fire Golf Club
Are these courses any good? The concierge at my hotel recommended them.

In want to play Miami Beach Golf Club we I get down there. The bastards won't give a single a tee time. Pricey too $200 per round ooch. The course looks awesome. I guess I will have to go wait a few hours to get on.
For that price I'd rather play Doral... or even at the Biltmore.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Cowboy-

There are a lot of great golf courses in the Orlando area. I wouldn't call Falcon's Fire one of them. Grande Lakes is a VERY nice course, it's on the property of the JW Marriott and The Ritz Carlton near Seaworld. I recently played it and it was in superb condition. As far as Grand Pines goes, I'd suggest Eagle Creek or Shingle Creek over Grand Pines. Both are well managed and well kept courses.

As they guys have mentioned, Corona is a great cigar bar. Downtown or SandLake Road. Sandlake gets a lot of convention center traffic and sometimes it can get interesting. They also have a Lake Mary location which is also good. My favorite shop in the Orlando area is Ol' Time Cigar Outlet, in suburb called Casselberry. Take 436 (Semoran Blvd) north from the Orlando airport about 15 miles and it's on the right just after Red Bug Lake Road intersection. Small location with incredible inventory and great prices. Super people and they know their cigars.

Have a great time and enjoy the smokes and the golf! The sun is shining but it's going to be cold the next couple of days before warming up again.

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Cowboy-

There are a lot of great golf courses in the Orlando area. I wouldn't call Falcon's Fire one of them. Grande Lakes is a VERY nice course, it's on the property of the JW Marriott and The Ritz Carlton near Seaworld. I recently played it and it was in superb condition. As far as Grand Pines goes, I'd suggest Eagle Creek or Shingle Creek over Grand Pines. Both are well managed and well kept courses.

As they guys have mentioned, Corona is a great cigar bar. Downtown or SandLake Road. Sandlake gets a lot of convention center traffic and sometimes it can get interesting. They also have a Lake Mary location which is also good. My favorite shop in the Orlando area is Ol' Time Cigar Outlet, in suburb called Casselberry. Take 436 (Semoran Blvd) north from the Orlando airport about 15 miles and it's on the right just after Red Bug Lake Road intersection. Small location with incredible inventory and great prices. Super people and they know their cigars.

Have a great time and enjoy the smokes and the golf! The sun is shining but it's going to be cold the next couple of days before warming up again.
Awesome!!!! Thanks - I will change my tee times. I am a bit of a golf snob. I want to play top notch courses only.

Thank you so much!!!!

cmhicksusmc

Corporal/USMC
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I agree Corona is awesome I can only speak for the Sand lake location though. I have to try this other place at RED Bug Lake road i live near the intersection of 434 and 436. Man i cant believe its been almost 4 years since ive been home...Cant wait to get back and see how much has changed!

MiamiE

Herfing 24/7
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Cigar Cowboy I used to work at Miami Beach Golf Club when I was a youngin'. Great course and some awesome greens. They built it with paspalum grass. Great stuff, IMO.

MiamiE

Herfing 24/7
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
And this is high season. Very expensive, but people pay it. Summer is a lot cheaper You're guaranteed to see Jim Brown and Lawrence Taylor, if he's not in jail. Singer Chayanne is also a member there.