What's new

Flu shot?

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I’m glad other people’s health plans have worked for them. I work with the general public on a Dailey basis(flu season or not) and get a minor cold maybe one time a year. In 16 years, at my current job, I’ve called in 2 times due to illness. There are many things that go into this and one of the biggest is genetics. The same reason I can’t stand Cilantro. If the flu shot works for you then do it. If you don’t want it that’s fine. People die every year from the flu that have had and didn’t have the vaccine.
Now, if you want to talk about child vaccinations I have a hard stance pro vaccination!

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m glad other people’s health plans have worked for them. I work with the general public on a Dailey basis(flu season or not) and get a minor cold maybe one time a year. In 16 years, at my current job, I’ve called in 2 times due to illness. There are many things that go into this and one of the biggest is genetics. The same reason I can’t stand Cilantro. If the flu shot works for you then do it. If you don’t want it that’s fine. People die every year from the flu that have had and didn’t have the vaccine.
Now, if you want to talk about child vaccinations I have a hard stance pro vaccination!
U can't stand Cilantro?....that's just blasphemous....what good are tacos and enchiladas without it or some queso cheese?

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I’ve gotten one as long as I can remember except maybe when I was in college after getting out of the Navy. Never had any ill effects other than a little sore arm and maybe a little congestion a couple days after. I remember getting the Flu at least once when I was a kid and was definitely not fun so I’d just assume not take my chances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
You do have a point....in reality is that each persons auto immune system can be counter productive in regards to reactivity which can last a few days which tends to make the patient resistant to getting the shots....add insult to injury there are vaccines that have mercury which people get sick from...You can ask for a flu shot without thimerosal in the vaccine. Older people like us are really susceptible to the flu because our immune system is compromised anyway...just natures way of "culling the herd" I guess. I tend to use Purell to excess and when I travel I wear a filtered mask when I fly and when I take cruises....watching the filth of some people is nauseating so I almost need an emergency bag of sorts...fun times!
LOL! We may have been separated at berth, brother. I sit in awe watching some of these people while on cruises.
It's no wonder when there is a "noro" virus outbreak how fast it can spread.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
U can't stand Cilantro?....that's just blasphemous....what good are tacos and enchiladas without it or some queso cheese?
I'm one of those people that can't stand cilantro either. I read somewhere that there's a certain percentage of people that think cilantro tastes like soap....unfortunately I'm one of them. I know,...I'm weird.
My wife on the other hand can take handfuls of the herb and eat it.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Yeah, once I read that, I determined the rest of his post had no validity whatsoever.

Seriously though, I understand those of you who say you don't like it. I'm one of those that can't get enough of it however. When it comes to tacos, it's probably about a 50/50 ratio of meat to cilantro for me, haha.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm one of those people that can't stand cilantro either. I read somewhere that there's a certain percentage of people that think cilantro tastes like soap....unfortunately I'm one of them. I know,...I'm weird.
My wife on the other hand can take handfuls of the herb and eat it.
Funny how our tastes are in regards to this.....it's like cigars where personal tastes tend to be different and I can't see how some will hate on Premium Cigars that I find delicious but understand that we associate our tastes with what is called genetic coding...... Just as there are differences among humans in various physical traits due to genetics, there are myriad differences among humans, sometimes major and often minor when it comes to our senses. These differences are genetically encoded.

I did a lot of reading on this and finally understand why people react to what they like...what they don't like. There are mitigating circumstances as to how our brain interprets tastes...whether it be Cigars or food and herbs etc. I know a few people who don't like ice cream...wth!!!

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Yeah, once I read that, I determined the rest of his post had no validity whatsoever.

Seriously though, I understand those of you who say you don't like it. I'm one of those that can't get enough of it however. When it comes to tacos, it's probably about a 50/50 ratio of meat to cilantro for me, haha.
Definitely different strokes for different folks. I am one of very few of my circle that can't stand IPAs (I made the comparison because of your screen name). We go to some of the pubs around here...if they have 20 taps, 15 of them will be IPAs. If I am lucky, there will be one craft stout or porter. I am definitely on the wrong side of the equation for beer taste around here.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This is a good exercise in anecdotal evidence not being the same thing as data. Everyone is going to do what they think is working for them, and they should. However the reality based on the data we have (and I conveniently am providing no sources) is that flu shots are 20-30% effective any given year. So its up to each person to decide if the shot and a 30% chance of not getting the flu when you would have is worth the cost. That cost for many is $0 and a sore arm, so it is probably worth it.

I don't get a flu shot, and more relevantly maybe, my wife and I decided not to get it for our 1 year old (and we are by no means anti-vaxxers, quite the opposite). But our pediatrician indicated it was 20-30% effective but that for babies it had like a 20-30% chance of also causing them to get sick for a few days. We decided it wasn't worth it, but others may come to different conclusions.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
If flu shots are in fact only 20-30% effective per given year, I find it curious that for 30 straight years I got a flu shot and never got the flu, and the first year I don't get the shot, I do get the flu. I'd like to see some math whiz post the odds for me just getting that "lucky" 30 years in a row.

I know my example is anecdotal as well, but at least I know who my source is. ;):)