What's new

Flu shot?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I never got the flu shot growing up and never got sick. After college I got a job in health care and was forced to get the flu shot or wear a mask all day. I got sick every year. I've changed positions so I haven't gotten one in 4 years and haven't been sick since. Maybe it's a coincidence, but it's not for me. Btw, my medical job was in preventative health care not sick care so getting sick wasn't due to being exposed to sick people all day.

I will be 47 Monday so as I get older my views might change. I'll never say I won't get one again. Just not right now.

Eat healthy, exercise and get some outside activity. That's the best medicine.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
The thing a lot of people miss is that the flu strain is constantly evolving and the flu shot only helps inoculate against strains that exist already. So you might very well get the flu still. You might have a lessened effect, or you might go the whole year ok
While this is true, they make the vaccine to fight what they predict to be the most common/likely strains for that year. So it will significantly decrease most peoples chance of getting the flu. Like I mentioned, 30+ years of getting the shot and didn't get the flu once. First year I skip, I get it. Could it have been a strain hat wasn't covered and I would have gotten the flu anyway? Possibly...but I like my odds taking the shot.

kit_luce

To the ones we can save, and those we can't.
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
While this is true, they make the vaccine to fight what they predict to be the most common/likely strains for that year. So it will significantly decrease most peoples chance of getting the flu. Like I mentioned, 30+ years of getting the shot and didn't get the flu once. First year I skip, I get it. Could it have been a strain hat wasn't covered and I would have gotten the flu anyway? Possibly...but I like my odds taking the shot.
I agree completely

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
It is a job necessity for me as a middle school teacher. The only years that the flu got me real bad was the years I didn’t get a shot. I feel it at least lessens symptoms if you do catch it. That and a home humidifier seems to work the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Got a flu shot at work Friday. I'm in my late 50's I need shit because everybody around me in the office is always sick. I'm never sick. So I'm gonna stick with the current regime.
I also use hand sanitizer there, and take vitamin C a few times a week as well.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I believe a lot of healthcare facilities and government organizations require the flu shot for liability reasons. If the flu takes off around a hospital at least they can claim all their employees are vaccinated and try to move some of the blame to the CDC.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have not had the flu shots since I got sick from the last one and that was 15 years ago. Some people are prone to getting the flu and it's passed around like a basketball....I stay away from people in general who exhibit symptoms out in public like the morons who are behind you at the grocery stores hacking and sneezing and they feel like they have to stand 2 inches behind you...every f'n time. I bathe in purel....I wipe off the carts with the cloths....I keep my carts between me and the moron behind me in stores...( turning into a rant....I deserve to rant because I'm that old and deserve to rant )

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Unless you're allergic to eggs nobody gets sick from the flu shot. Sore arm maybe. I barely felt a little pinch, sting maybe but, the next day it feels like somebody punched the shit out of my left arm.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Unless you're allergic to eggs nobody gets sick from the flu shot. Sore arm maybe. I barely felt a little pinch, sting maybe but, the next day it feels like somebody punched the shit out of my left arm.
Oh contraire Mon ami.....my wife used to get the flu shot every year and would get the flu...she stopped 2 years ago....voila'..... No more flu.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Oh contraire Monami.....my wife used to get the flu shot every year and would get the flu...she stopped 2 years ago....voila'..... No more flu.
It's just coincidence to get sick after getting the flu shot. However, it's most likely due to the majority of people getting the shot in a doctors office surrounded by sick people. Getting the flu FROM the shot is just fallacy.
Kinda like HCFC's depleting the ozone layer and manmade climate change.

I know I'm gonna jinx myself but, I've never been struck by the flu. I just get the shot now cause I've seen what the flu does to people my age and older and I know eventually my luck will run out.

Here's to none of my BOTL getting the flu this season!(y)

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's just coincidence to get sick after getting the flu shot. However, it's most likely due to the majority of people getting the shot in a doctors office surrounded by sick people. Getting the flu FROM the shot is just fallacy.
Kinda like HCFC's depleting the ozone layer and manmade climate change.

I know I'm gonna jinx myself but, I've never been struck by the flu. I just get the shot now cause I've seen what the flu does to people my age and older and I know eventually my luck will run out.

Here's to none of my BOTL getting the flu this season!(y)
You do have a point....in reality is that each persons auto immune system can be counter productive in regards to reactivity which can last a few days which tends to make the patient resistant to getting the shots....add insult to injury there are vaccines that have mercury which people get sick from...You can ask for a flu shot without thimerosal in the vaccine. Older people like us are really susceptible to the flu because our immune system is compromised anyway...just natures way of "culling the herd" I guess. I tend to use Purell to excess and when I travel I wear a filtered mask when I fly and when I take cruises....watching the filth of some people is nauseating so I almost need an emergency bag of sorts...fun times!

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you wear the mask the entire cruise? They must think you're a surgeon! :D
Lol.....I wear a mask in areas where there is a lot of people esp. at night when most people are out and about. We tend to eat in the Specialty Restaurants where we have complete privacy....the Main Dining room for breakfast and lunch are pretty thin. It's the Buffet areas that are filled with the grossest people. I see so many people who will use the ladles to scoop food into their dishes....then throw them right back into the food...handles first. Saw one ole fart actually scoop his food into his plate and then lick the spoon....I kid you not! Then there are the parents with kids who let the kiddies reach into the food trays with their hands and touch everything...their little noses running with tons of snot....I NEVER eat at the buffets unless they have "cooked to order" items where the only one who touches the food is me.

As far as people thinking I'm a surgeon....more like "sturgeon".....

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
That couple years when I worked at the hospital we were required to get it which never bothered me.
It only gave me a reaction when they switched to the nasal version. Shit would run down into my throat and give me a sore throat for the rest of the day.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Used to never but hit my mid 30's and bam flu seemed to hit me. Don't know if age or working in an office where no one calls in sick was to blame, but now I get it and been lucky no flu