What's new

Flying jitters...

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Ive seen the airline industry in the US fall completely on its ass over the past 20 years..
/rant off

:)
You've seen a decline in the past 20 years?

Maybe we should have a nice sit down about every day for over 15 years I have seen the state of the airline industry decline. How the almighty dollar is what drives these companies rather than the thought of what the customer wants or needs.

I blame Jimmy Carter.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I have no issues flying. I can fall asleep before we leave the gate and wake up during landing. Ain't no thang.

The only thing I hate is checking my backpack a billion times before getting to security to make sure nothing pointy or boomy snuck its way in.

My mom, who flies A LOT, is always a nervous wreck getting on a plane. She has to do the pills and booze dance. Thankfully I didn't inherit those genes.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I love flying. I hate the people that come into a plane with viruses and bacterial infections and turn that plane into a petri dish of shit. Also hate the way airport employees attitudes are and Cant stand dumb ass people that bring their infants on a plane to cry or kick my seat the whole time (same as bringing an infant to watch The Avengers), How do you expect the baby to sleep and yourself to enjoy your movie/flight? Be considerate to other people.
Ditto this! I hate the process of planning for a flight...getting there 2 hours before it leaves...going throughTSA ( big joke) and then the trek to get to your gate esp. in Atlanta where it's sometimes a mile to get from the TSA line to even get to your gate. Then you have the idiots who don't look where they are going because they are looking down at their cellphones and they end up stopping abruptly as they are walking in front of you and then they turn around and back into you. I will drive to my end location if possible but when I can't then I fly and will try to get the earliest flight out where it's not as crowded.

Reactions: ENV

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I don't mind the act of flying. I've been on civilian twin props in near hurricanes, plane going every direction but forward it seemed, where the flight attendant was sweating bullets and nothing happened. Except we landed on time and in one piece. I have also been on military flights (Marine Corps) extremely hungover, late, the pilot was told by the crew chief that I was the cause, and the pilot was dropping that thing 100 feet every chance he got. They radio'd back that if I puked and missed my kevlar, I was on cleaning detail. Again, we landed with no issues, except me greener than my cammies and ready to barf.
The only thing I do mind are the attitudes I have to deal with from the reps to the TSA. It seems that they try and set you off so they can flex some fat. I just smile and nod. It helps I don't drink anymore and therefore show up a lot less like Hunter S. Thompson when I have to fly. Things got interesting when that happened.
You'll be good-to-go. Safe travels!

Reactions: ENV
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I flew once from PA to Florida to visit my in-laws. I will never fly again. I hated it and guess I am just too claustrophobic to tolerate it.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Ditto this! I hate the process of planning for a flight...getting there 2 hours before it leaves...going throughTSA ( big joke) and then the trek to get to your gate esp. in Atlanta where it's sometimes a mile to get from the TSA line to even get to your gate. Then you have the idiots who don't look where they are going because they are looking down at their cellphones and they end up stopping abruptly as they are walking in front of you and then they turn around and back into you. I will drive to my end location if possible but when I can't then I fly and will try to get the earliest flight out where it's not as crowded.
I have knocked down many people in airports, subways and in manhattan that arent paying attention and I see them about to walk right into me. I planted my shoulder right into their chests and caught them before they hit the ground (usually).

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
and Cant stand dumb ass people that bring their infants on a plane to cry or kick my seat the whole time (same as bringing an infant to watch The Avengers), How do you expect the baby to sleep and yourself to enjoy your movie/flight? Be considerate to other people.
Considerate? You think those parents enjoy bringing a crying kid on to an airplane to have people think they are being inconsiderate? How many times are these families/kids on a flight more out of necessity than simply going on a joy vacation? The military wife whose husband is overseas defending our country has to fly back "home" to get family support and/or for her family to see the new grandchild for the first time. The lone parent flying back "home" for a funeral. Families flying cross country just to visit all their family/relatives from where they used to live.

That is/was me... my kids get to see their grandma/pa, uncle and other relatives one time a year, if I'm lucky. You think I enjoy bringing my kids onto an airplane when they don't know how to cope with air pressure? You think I don't feel bad if/when my kids might start crying? You don't think I felt bad for the person in front of us when my daughter couldn't handle the air pressure and was kicking the seat a few times? I bought that person a couple drinks and luckily they understood. No I don't enjoy that but it's a necessity for me if I want to see my parents/brother and for my kids to see their other grandma, grandpa and uncle one time a year.

When I was younger and pre-kids I got frustrated by screaming kids on the airplane so I can understand people saying that, but after I had kids and understand what the parents have to go through just to fly, I now go out of my way to help parents in need on flights and am a much happier person because of it. Oh, earplugs definitely help. lol

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Considerate? You think those parents enjoy bringing a crying kid on to an airplane to have people think they are being inconsiderate? How many times are these families/kids on a flight more out of necessity than simply going on a joy vacation? The military wife whose husband is overseas defending our country has to fly back "home" to get family support and/or for her family to see the new grandchild for the first time. The lone parent flying back "home" for a funeral. Families flying cross country just to visit all their family/relatives from where they used to live.

That is/was me... my kids get to see their grandma/pa, uncle and other relatives one time a year, if I'm lucky. You think I enjoy bringing my kids onto an airplane when they don't know how to cope with air pressure? You think I don't feel bad if/when my kids might start crying? You don't think I felt bad for the person in front of us when my daughter couldn't handle the air pressure and was kicking the seat a few times? I bought that person a couple drinks and luckily they understood. No I don't enjoy that but it's a necessity for me if I want to see my parents/brother and for my kids to see their other grandma, grandpa and uncle one time a year.

When I was younger and pre-kids I got frustrated by screaming kids on the airplane so I can understand people saying that, but after I had kids and understand what the parents have to go through just to fly, I now go out of my way to help parents in need on flights and am a much happier person because of it. Oh, earplugs definitely help. lol
You are a special breed. I havent seen a guy do anything like you did before. Only once I saw a mom really wishing she didnt have her kid on board cause it creid for 4 hours straight.

I dont have kids. It may be that I just dont get it yet.

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0

Well said. Sometimes it takes a parent's view to make it more clear for those without children.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I think you're both right. There are those who are annoying because they don't care, and there are those who cause annoyance but can't help it and feel bad about it.
True... there are definitely parents that don't give a crap. Everyone suffers then, including their kids throughout life.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Pre kids: 1 carry on that never left the overhead. Book and phone in hand. No belt on and slip off shoes for easy boarding. Boarding pass as bookmark. DONE.
With kids: dear god! Only flew once with a two year old. Luckily, we were near another family with a toddler. The kids played. We shared snacks and such. It was great. An hour of crying, but everyone understood. The worst part was having to take SO MUCH time in "security" checks. Diaper bags are tsa's nightmare! And putting things overhead... bah!

Night and day...

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I loathe flying.... I especially hate flying US carriers.. and have particular hatred for US carriers flying domestic routes..

not because of any fear...

but because of comfort... and customer service issues..

Ive seen the airline industry in the US fall completely on its ass over the past 20 years.. there used to be a reasonable expectation of flights actually arriving on time.. that there would be decent care and service on the aircraft while in flight etc..

These days youre packed in like sardines.. youre lucky to get a cup of water and a bag of peanuts without the flight attendant treating you like dirt or getting upset because you asked for it.. and good luck actually departing and arriving on schedule...

Ive heard a million and one excuses about how putting more seats on planes, cutting out in flight meals, etc..etc.. make air travel more affordable, allow the airlines to better compete, etc...
/rant off

:)
Agreed.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I dont have kids. It may be that I just dont get it yet.
What is it you don't get? Parents have to bring kids on the plane, there is often no choice. Kids at times will cry and again, parents often have no choice. Now if you're talking about the older kids (not babies or toddlers) who kick and yell and scream and disrupt the person in front or back without the parents agreeing, that is definitely not right.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
I fly regularly and hearing kids on planes is just part of the gig. I also have them at home so I'm immune. I have experienced a two year old fit in public(more than once) so when I see it, I get it. Sucks

But regardless of having kids or not, I dint understand why people on domestic flights in coach would expect silence to begin with. Hundred plus people, adults/kids, non-stop announcements from attendant and captain, oh and jet engines. Crying kids are just part of the ambiance. Time to get over ourselves lol

CigarSaint

Who Dat!
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Find a way to enjoy the flight... something. I fly often and I mix it up.

Have a cocktail
Listen to a podcast
Read a good book
Play on the Ipad

Just remember you're in good hands with the pilots.