What's new

Foam Trays

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Im looking for some foam trays similar to what cigarsolutions used to carry...

I dont care what size.. but bigger is better.. I need to cut several different sizes for various tuperadors.. and I want to convert a couple of pelican dry boxes over to cigar storage as well..

anyone have a source for foam that looks similar to:

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
disregard... I found what I was looking for... (my google fu was sucking earlier this morning apparently..)...

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
http://www.thesherman.com/cigartrays.html

they're a bit more expensive than I would have liked.. but the large ones are the exact dimensions of my pelican 1200 boxes (Ive got 2)...

Im going to try to find a different solution for the tupperadors.. Im not really needing trays for those.. I just would like thin sheets of open cell foam to place between layers of sticks..

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Are you using these for travel, overflow storage or both?
I'm in the market for a travel humi and I'd rather make my own instead of buying one.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
a little of both...

the tupperadors (medium sized snapware) are for overflow.. but might be used for "minor" travel... all I am looking to do with them is to place a thin (1/4 - 1/2") sheet of open cell foam between layers of cigars..

the pelicans are primarily for travel...

the places I typically travel to, I need gorilla tough protection.... and Im typically gone for extended periods of time (anywhere from a week to a month).. so I need capacity..

you can get a pelican 1200 without the closed cell pluckable foam.. for about $35 online... 3x of the large trays from sherman is another $20...

for $55.. you have the most rugged traveldor money can buy... air tight.. and tough as nails... that will hold 18x cigars...

the easier way to do it is to order the "economy 18 model" from Sherman... from the pics it looks like this is what he is doing (putting those trays into a pelican 1200).. for the same money it would cost you to do it yourself...

http://www.thesherman.com/economy.html

I just happened to already have 2x spare pelicans on hand.. so all I needed was the foam..

I found another resource for open cell sheets of foam (72" x 24").. no channels cut into it like the pic above.. but I can make it work for the tupperadors..

aroma

Luva Sweet Easy Retrohale
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned CigarSolutions in your OP. Is there a problem with them? They appear to be still in business and selling the trays you're interested in.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I have no problem with CS at all... At the time of the OP their website was down, and had been down for a while... So I was looking for other options....

After ordering from The Sherman... I got an email from their credit card processing company saying they were out of business and no charge had been made to my card...

So I'm back on the hunt... Looks like CS is back up... So I'll be placing an order there shortly :)

aroma

Luva Sweet Easy Retrohale
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to hear. I've done a small amount of business with CigarSolutions in the past and appreciate their willingness to market some products that probably don't sell enough to be highly profitable, but solve a specific problem very nicely for those of us who care about such things.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
FWIW, I know a couple of guys here have recently expressed issue with Cigar Solutions/Ron...

My experience with CS so far has been extremely positive... as soon as I found out the CS website was back up, I placed my foam order with them...

I immediately got an email confirming my order..

In less than 2 hours I got a follow on email with shipping confirmation and a tracking number...

Cant ask for faster/better service than that..

Assuming the package arrives in decent shape (was well packed).. I would rate the overall experience as exceptional..

web site was easy to navigate.. lots of information available about the product I was looking for... ordering was easy.. and order confirmation and shipping confirmation was lightning fast..

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
As a follow up....

my order arrived today from Cigar Solutions... right at 48 hours from the time I ordered... well packaged.. and exactly as described..

Im very happy with the purchase..

snapware and pelican conversion projects are now complete...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know of a place to get the foam trays other than Cigar Solutions? I ordered some from them, but for some reason they never got to me, don't know why because everything else I've ordered from other vendors has been received. I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan so I need a vendor that is willing and knows the proper steps to ship FPO. Any help would be great, want to ensure my cigars make the trip safe back home.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
How many sticks are you needing to move Gunny?

www.unholycocktail.com just put hard cases back on sale again today.. theyve got a set of 5x 5 stick traveldors on special for $29 that are well made.. not super practical to have 5x small boxes as opposed to one larger box.. but for that price, it might be a good option.. and Im pretty sure they ship to APO..

occasionally they will have larger traveldors on special as well... several of us picked up 40 count hard case traveldors there made by blackwatch a couple of months ago.. for $20 I think... other than it being bright hunter orange.. Im super happy with mine.. I'd rate it about 90% as durable as a pelican box (plastic, hinges, and latches are slightly less robust).. and it seals up tight as a drum.. but for $20.. it was 1/3 the cost of a pelican 1200.. and holds twice as many sticks..

watch their site.. I see some sort of box on there at least once every couple of weeks.. sometimes more often than that.. unless you are leaving Astan very soon, I am betting they will have the blackwatch case on there again before you get out of there.. (the daily deal changes every 24 hours)..

They ship super quick too...

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
thats the exact same case as the blackwatch.. except for its got someone elses logo on it.. and its black instead of orange.. exact same dimensions.. same exterior pattern, etc.. they even use the same product description lol..

great bargain at $27.. I would have paid the additional $7 had I known there was an option in black lol...

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I own a two tier 10 her-a-dor, and I need bigger. Thanks to my brothers I went w. Gith a wineador vs a big desktop so should you in this reguard. That being said I'm still in the market for a 3 finger pocket sized case. It's. Tough to kill two birds with one stone. 2 cents. All the best