What's new

For Brother's new to Bourbon

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Per bourbonr, Blanton's is a high Rye juice and Buffalo Trace is a lower Rye. Also, as shown Trace and EHT are all from the juice. This is a handy reference which I use regularly. If I had to pick one distillery, this would be it. Even without the BTAC and Pappy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is gotta be the sexiest whiskey picture I've seen so far. Buffalo Trace Distillery is aces in my book, simply the best and most consistent.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since we're talking about the fine Sazerac/Buffalo Trace whiskies, I'd like to mention one I miss: Ancient Ancient Age. Damn that stuff was good. Of the 3 levels Ancient Age had it appears only the inexpensive entry level iteration still is being offered.
Huzzah! I just figured out via the BT website that Ancient Ancient Age 10-Star is still being produced. This bourbon disappeared from store shelves here a good 5 years ago. Hmmm... a short holiday in Frankfort in the spring sounds like a good idea. Tour the distillery and rummage through the local liquor stores.........profit! :cool:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just had my first bourbon today. Was a bulliet rye old fashion. Really dug the sweet and tart combo. Had it at a steak house here for a work meeting. I'll be dabbling into bourbon more
Only problem being that rye whiskey isn't bourbon. Bulliet's rye is mighty tasty tho.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well shiiit I failed lol. Was good. Ill get to bourbon soon
You got one on me, to this day the closest thing to Rye that I've had is Bulliet Bourbon lol. Since you're lucky enough not to try a bourbon yet, any chance you'd be interested in trying it neat for the first time? I'm not one to savvy mixed drinks (so I don't know what im missing) but I find Bourbon is best enjoyed neat (depending on how high the proof is, although that still doesn't matter to me). This way you can really savor the flavors of what that particular distiller had in mind.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Well shiiit I failed lol. Was good. Ill get to bourbon soon
You got close enough. The only reason it's rye instead on bourbon is that it contains at least 51% rye instead of 51% corn. The classic Old Fashioned calls for rye actually so you did good.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wanted to share something with the experienced Bourbon brothers and those of you new to the Hobby. It's a very interesting video about Bourbon and it's taught me much. Hope you find it worth your time.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've only just started to dabble in bourbon, really. There are a few that I really enjoy and a few that I don't, but I haven't even tried a fraction of what's on the shelf at your average liquor store. One thing I'm curious about though, is the rye whiskeys. I've never tried any. Can anyone explain (in newbie terms) the differences in taste? Thanks

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've only just started to dabble in bourbon, really. There are a few that I really enjoy and a few that I don't, but I haven't even tried a fraction of what's on the shelf at your average liquor store. One thing I'm curious about though, is the rye whiskeys. I've never tried any. Can anyone explain (in newbie terms) the differences in taste? Thanks
A good rye can compete with the best bourbons.
Bulliets rye is actually better than their bourbon.
Rittenhouse is wonderful juice. Spicy and sweet and still sanely priced.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A good rye can compete with the best bourbons.
Bulliets rye is actually better than their bourbon.
Rittenhouse is wonderful juice. Spicy and sweet and still sanely priced.
Do the rye whiskeys all have a certain taste that discerns them from bourbons?
Like, if you tasted a rye and a bourbon blind..... would you always be able to tell the difference? I've noticed that rye tends to run a little higher price wise. I don't want to drop $50 on a rye if I'm scared I might not like it.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like, if you tasted a rye and a bourbon blind..... would you always be able to tell the difference? I've noticed that rye tends to run a little higher price wise. I don't want to drop $50 on a rye if I'm scared I might not like it.
Actually they're pretty similar. Rye will be spicier than say a wheater for sure. But still sweet enough to be pleasant.
Find a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB. Its damned good and shouldn't cost you over $30.00 :)

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I've been interested in trying some of the High West stuff. But I'm sure little unsure of what to expect with the whole blended thing.

Any one tried it and if so, what did you think?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always read, in regards to cigars... "smoke what you like, like what you smoke"..... bourbon is the same.... "drink what you like, like what you drink" Have fun, experiment, sample lots of different ones.... buy more of what you like personally, to hell with what everyone says is "good".

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a bourbon fanatic myself but as for Rye & Scotch I just don't have the palate for it. Scotch is very unpredictable & the range is all over the place due to all the regions. Rye is much more spicier (think rye bread vs wheat bread), and will be much drier. It will also tend to be peppier at the backend of your palate. Good bourbon is like liquid silk in my opinion. A great bourbon is oily and mouth coating too

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always read, in regards to cigars... "smoke what you like, like what you smoke"..... bourbon is the same.... "drink what you like, like what you drink" Have fun, experiment, sample lots of different ones.... buy more of what you like personally, to hell with what everyone says is "good".
I think you might be the third person to say something similar to that. I appreciate your point but I have to point out that when someone is just starting out in this new and very exciting hobby they might just be looking for a little direction. It can be quite overwhelming and a good start or picking the right first bourbon can lead to a new and exciting pastime (like cigars). The wrong one just may turn you away or put a bad taste in your mouth (literally/figuratively speaking).
I was lucky, I had the direction from some blokes at puff, who helped me down a wayward path. Upon there help, I picked Woodford Reserve and the rest is history. That's exactly why I started this thread & encourage open thought & suggestions.

To be honest it takes guts to go out there & spend your hard earned dollars on something u may end up hating, especially doing that multiple times over. It also takes guts to just go out to a bar and strike up a conversation with a busy bartender & ask for samples. I hope to encourage more thought & encourage those new to speak up. We're all here to help one another on this giant spinning ball

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what you're saying. I know what I like, and it may not be the same as what you like..... My first drink of bourbon was Jim Beam. There's nothing wrong with JB, but I've left it behind in favor of others now. Much like my cigar journey. My first cigar was a swisher sweet. There are a lot of people who smoke SS. I'm not one of them anymore. The journey is half of the fun for me. The experience. I like the story behind the bourbon as much as I like the story behind the cigar. I found a great little store locally that keeps a wide variety of bourbons in small "airplane" bottles. I used that to sample different ones. That helped me find my preferences, and go on to buy larger bottles of the stuff I liked. I still look for new and "exciting" cigars and bourbons. I start out buying singles / airplane bottles and go from there. Good luck on the journey to finding your favorite bourbonS.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually they're pretty similar. Rye will be spicier than say a wheater for sure. But still sweet enough to be pleasant.
Find a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB. Its damned good and shouldn't cost you over $30.00 :)
I compare higher rye content with a Pepin cigar. For me, a spicy note that hangs on to extend the pleasure. That said, I'm a sucker for Pepin's cigars, but I actually prefer less spice in my drink.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I see what you're saying. I know what I like, and it may not be the same as what you like..... My first drink of bourbon was Jim Beam. There's nothing wrong with JB, but I've left it behind in favor of others now. Much like my cigar journey. My first cigar was a swisher sweet. There are a lot of people who smoke SS. I'm not one of them anymore. The journey is half of the fun for me. The experience. I like the story behind the bourbon as much as I like the story behind the cigar. I found a great little store locally that keeps a wide variety of bourbons in small "airplane" bottles. I used that to sample different ones. That helped me find my preferences, and go on to buy larger bottles of the stuff I liked. I still look for new and "exciting" cigars and bourbons. I start out buying singles / airplane bottles and go from there. Good luck on the journey to finding your favorite bourbonS.
I can appreciate that & good advice on the airplane bottles. I never even thought of that. Heck I think most larger shops have small corked sample bottles of the small batch bourbons/rye for a fraction of the price (they'll be larger than airplane/hotel bottles but come in glass corked bottles)

As I've said many-a-time (& I don't mean to beat a dead horse). I still think if you can control what your 1st bourbon is, don't be shy to ask for advice on what we like. Bourbon isn't like wine in shops; they're not gonna give u a description on the flavor wheel. So it can be a bit overwhelming (especially due to the advancement in color marketing).

If you're serious about the hobby, your first bourbon will be like your first car; whether it was awesome or a piece of tin, you'll remember it to the day you die. No shame in trying for a good memory. :cigar: