What's new

For dog owners

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I have a 3yr old German Shepherd, and I usually give him Nexguard for fleas & ticks.

I received an email from VIP PET CARE (where I get my supply of Nexguard) saying I can get $30 off a 6 month supply of Simparica, and it's a helluva deal, but I'm not familiar with this product.

My mom has my dog's sister, and she just paid $110 for a 3 month supply of Nexguard.....that's quite a bit, again I'm familiar with Nexguard and I have no issues wirh it, but if I can save $ for the same effect, why not?

So, anyone familiar with either one of these, and should I just stick with Nexguard, or take the chance?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
That's the problem with being a beta tester. My dogs don't talk so it's more difficult to understand how they are reacting to a medication or treatment. Compare active ingredients and there are a couple of reviews running around the internet. Nothing I read was real good or real bad.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
That's the problem with being a beta tester. My dogs don't talk so it's more difficult to understand how they are reacting to a medication or treatment. Compare active ingredients and there are a couple of reviews running around the internet. Nothing I read was real good or real bad.
Yeah, that's kinda what I'm seeing too..........meh

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My wife and I are Rescue People and we talk with others in the community and around the country about newer and older meds for our boys. We tend to agree with the premise of...if it ain't broke don't fix it. Many meds have a great history that have proven themselves over the years...they are Vet proven as well as documented by owners. While this particular med hasn't been out there for long case studies aren't going to be as accurate so if you're like me...I don't use products unless they are well documented with a rich history no matter if they are "on sale"....my dogs are too important to roll the dice and like others on here we spend more on our boys than we do on ourselves. We have a Golden Retriever and a Pug/Jack Russel mix and the GR is 13 and the other is about 15 and in dog years that's a long life so far. We also use CBD oil and special food along with glucosamine and they thrive on all of this...incidentally our GR is afraid of loud noises and fireworks so the CBD oil works miracles on him and he's able to get through those periods of loud noises and can sleep at night.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Many meds have a great history that have proven themselves over the years...they are Vet proven as well as documented by owners. While this particular med hasn't been out there for long case studies aren't going to be as accurate so if you're like me...I don't use products unless they are well documented with a rich history no matter if they are "on sale"....my dogs are too important to roll the dice and like others on here we spend more on our boys than we do on ourselves.
This is really good advice and when you put it that way, it makes total sense.

Get a decent pet insurance plan that covers flea and tick medication. We pay around $40/month for each dog (x2) and it covers about 80% of all costs.
This is good advice, thanks guys

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
As I was asking my wife about checking on a nexguard alternative, she said, " Its probably Simparica, or Bravecto."
She says they haven't seen as good of results on Simparica, but do NOT use Bravecto. It's a three month dose, (Bravecto), and it's too large at once for a lot of dogs to handle without complications. The vet feels like it can cause neurological problems in smaller dogs.
SHE (The Vet) gives Simparica to her outside dogs, but gives Nexguard to her inside dogs. She has 6 dogs total.
Frontline is crap as well, my wife says
Try it if you want, just keep a good eye out for ticks and fleas.
Hope this helps

Last edited:

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
As I was asking my wife about checking on a nexguard alternative, she said, " Its probably Simparica, or Bravecto."
She says they haven't seen as good of results on Simparica, but do NOT use Bravecto. It's a three month dose, (Bravecto), and it's too large at once for a lot of dogs to handle without complications. The vet feels like it can cause neurological problems in smaller dogs.
SHE (The Vet) gives Simparica to her outside dogs, but gives Nexguard to her inside dogs. She has 6 dogs total.
Frontline is crap as well, my wife says
Try it if you want, just keep a good eye out for ticks and fleas.
Hope this helps
That definitely helps, Thanks Redneck, Charlie is an inside dog mostly, so I will just continue with Nexguard, thank the wife for the checking with me as well

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
That definitely helps, Thanks Redneck, Charlie is an inside dog mostly, so I will just continue with Nexguard, thank the wife for the checking with me as well
She also said the the Texas region for nexguard has a buy three month , get one free rebate right now. She wasn't sure about other regions