What's new

Former Cigars Australia Members - Welcome to BOTL !!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME FORMER CIGARS AUSTRALIA FORUM MEMBERS !

By now most Australian folks are coming to terms with the fact that one of the most used Cigar Discussion forums (within Australia) has come to an end.....for now at least:cryloud::cryloud:.

The reasons - well, they're complicated, but the gist is that it's as a direct result for the Australian Federal Governments 'Tobacco Plain Packaging Reforms' and new Internet legislation specifically devoted to the online selling, sharing, advertising and depiction of tobacco (in our case cigars) within Australia. It's a massive, and misguided form of control, and smacks of political stupidity:hammersma:nono::angryteet:angerFU:. Nonetheless, we've been left to navigate the ways through and around the system, and most of us seem to have taken refuge here, our new landing pad - the BOTL website:clap::clap:. To that I'd like to say thanks to the BOTL website operators, and the BOTL community in general:tiphat::tiphat:.

You cannot imagine the conditions that have been imposed on the cigar loving community of Australia, in fact to varying degree's there could be arguments that the community will (in some form) destroy the 1-3% of the Australian cigar loving community. But cigars lovers are a resilient bunch, and in true Aussie spirit we'll take take it on the chin - and keep of rolling through.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here here!

I'm glad our fellow BOTL from across the pond have somewhere that believes in the protection of free speech and will make us feel welcome

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Sorry about losing your forum. I have only been here a short time, but it is a friendly environment full of knowledge. You all will enjoy it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see some familiar faces on here. I was kind of shocked this morning when I went to get my morning forum fix and CA was gone. Had to go outside and spark one up. Was telling a few non smoking mates this afternoon about what had happened and even they were disgusted at how the goverment is coming down on us and how we can't even have a forum to talk about our hobby. But as you say. We're a resilient bunch and it's going to take more that this to stop us.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Welcome guys!!! That's terrible about how your rights are being stomped on by your government but good outlook on things you guys have...way to keep your chin up. I believe you guys will love it here. The short time I have been here I have learned aot and everybody is more than brotherly!!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say "Under the Southern Cross we represent" but that would just make me sound like a douche...

Great reception though. Cheers for the welcome everyone.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I didn't share your experience and I have a bad taste in my mouth, as well. Disgusting.

But, a hearty welcome, mates! You'll find this a knowledgeable, friendly bunch.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are elements at play behind the decision to shut down the site that aren't really for public consumption in an open forum such as this.

The situation could have been handled with a lot more dignity, respect and fair warning then what was received. As the site was hosted by a cigar merchant, you'd think that this would have been a conscious thought before alienating potential clients.
But it's done. The site, for the foreseeable future, is gone. The internet legislation that governs, although ridiculous, carries stiff penalties for those companies that breach the Act. So although I understand it, I don't have to like how it was done.

CA Forum members now have (apart from this site) no real form of communication. There was no back up redundancy for a situation such as this. There wasn't an apparent need for one. So events, such as held this coming Sunday in Sydney, go un-advertised up until the last minute. Future events may not be possible given the restrictions in place.

Like I said at the start, we're a tenacious little bunch. We may make up only 1-3% of the Australian tobacco industry, but we can make a mighty racket when we wanna.

Long live the good times, the fresh sticks, the rested beauties, and the glorious times that come whenever you put flame to toast, and a stiff drink to compliment.