What's new

Former Cigars Australia Members - Welcome to BOTL !!!

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
sorry to hear that your former adopted home collapsed. also that your government is trying to screw you (and all of us everywhere know that feeling). but glad y'all found us, and welcome to BotL! o)

SuprHasan

I'm finished with cigars
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
There are elements at play behind the decision to shut down the site that aren't really for public consumption in an open forum such as this.

The situation could have been handled with a lot more dignity, respect and fair warning then what was received. As the site was hosted by a cigar merchant, you'd think that this would have been a conscious thought before alienating potential clients.
But it's done. The site, for the foreseeable future, is gone. The internet legislation that governs, although ridiculous, carries stiff penalties for those companies that breach the Act. So although I understand it, I don't have to like how it was done.

CA Forum members now have (apart from this site) no real form of communication. There was no back up redundancy for a situation such as this. There wasn't an apparent need for one. So events, such as held this coming Sunday in Sydney, go un-advertised up until the last minute. Future events may not be possible given the restrictions in place.

Like I said at the start, we're a tenacious little bunch. We may make up only 1-3% of the Australian tobacco industry, but we can make a mighty racket when we wanna.

Long live the good times, the fresh sticks, the rested beauties, and the glorious times that come whenever you put flame to toast, and a stiff drink to compliment.
Well said, Alex.
I, for one, will never be smoking another cigar by this manufacturer. They may make some good smokes, but due to their childish behaviour, they don't deserve my business.
A bit of fair warning would have been good instead of suddenly pulling the plug, leaving all the members homeless.

Anyway, I'm waiting for word back from Cameron with suggestions put forward to him and we may have something up and running soon, hopefully. Till then, there's the Aussie BOTL group here or the one on Facebook here.
Any questions or queries, please PM me. I'm open to suggestions and discussions.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll smoke the manufacturer - just not from that supplier. The cigars aren't the problem, it's the Australian authorised distributor that pulled the plug, although I see your point.

I've been emailing Cameron on and off all day about the situation. He isn't impressed, but that's what happens when one party holds the domain name, the other the actual content of the site itself. This issue was always going to occur, it was just a matter of more how soon rather then when in the future. If you've followed the tweets via Twitter I posted, followed by a nice email to Jason, you'll see what I mean.

If you've got the time, it would be great to catch up on Sunday if you're around (Cigar Hut Event).

For those of those temporarily left homeless, now we've found a place to rest our heads.

SuprHasan

I'm finished with cigars
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Well, it's a pleasure to have all you homeless right here on BOTL.
We're all Brothers, regardless of where we came from :facerub:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was bound to happen sooner or later Knickerbocker. Only a mater of time before we crossed the Pacific to invade... We've come in force and brought our mates along too!

Just need a barby to get things going.

Most of us source our smokes from the States anyway so makes sense we should hang out here.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
A big :welcome: to all our new Aussie mates!

We're very happy that you were able to find a new home. The brothehood here has no boundries...we hope you enjoy your stay!!!

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Sorry to hear about the issues down under but welcome to the family my brothers. You will find nothing but friendship and some of the best damn friends this side of the world. Glad to have you all aboard! :applause:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

That's not actually the case.

The guy who owns the cigarsaustralia.com.au domain name, Jason Nelson, the same guy who owns Perdomo Cigars in Australia, decided WITHOUT WARNING yesterday to re-direct the domain name to Perdomo Cigars. That shows you the complete disregard he has for the Aussie cigar community.

The forum is still there, we just can't get to it until I get ning.com (the platform it is hosted on) to turn off the domain re-direct. They emailed me this morning saying they had done that, but it's still not working so I've emailed them again. Keep checking cigarsaustralia.ning.com and it will hopefully be back online within the next 24 hours. Anyway I will email the entire database when it's back online. Apologies for the inconvenience!

I don't believe the Aust Govt can construe the forum as "advertising" as I run it and I'm not in the cigar business in any way; we don't carry cigar advertising; and none of the retailers in the community will be allowed to advertise their wares. So we should be safe.

Any questions, please email me: cameronreilly@gmail.com

cheers
Cameron Reilly

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey Guys,

That's not actually the case.

The guy who owns the cigarsaustralia.com.au domain name, Jason Nelson, the same guy who owns Perdomo Cigars in Australia, decided WITHOUT WARNING yesterday to re-direct the domain name to Perdomo Cigars. That shows you the complete disregard he has for the Aussie cigar community.

The forum is still there, we just can't get to it until I get ning.com (the platform it is hosted on) to turn off the domain re-direct. They emailed me this morning saying they had done that, but it's still not working so I've emailed them again. Keep checking cigarsaustralia.ning.com and it will hopefully be back online within the next 24 hours. Anyway I will email the entire database when it's back online. Apologies for the inconvenience!

I don't believe the Aust Govt can construe the forum as "advertising" as I run it and I'm not in the cigar business in any way; we don't carry cigar advertising; and none of the retailers in the community will be allowed to advertise their wares. So we should be safe.

Any questions, please email me: cameronreilly@gmail.com

cheers
Cameron Reilly
Welcome Cameron (its DrewC) and thats great news!!!!

Well, at least BOTL now has a new bunch of Aussies on their side!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And should we make it international we've already tapped into a bunch of guys to get drunk and enjoy some cigars with!