What's new

Fountain Pens?

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Perhaps off topic, but how about for the left handed people out there?
Your left hand always trails over your writing, I notice the dry time and smudge test...seems problematic.
Or is the trick to angle your hand so it trails beneath the writing.
I have terrible penmanship, but always interested and impressed by people with the ability.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Perhaps off topic, but how about for the left handed people out there?
Your left hand always trails over your writing, I notice the dry time and smudge test...seems problematic.
Or is the trick to angle your hand so it trails beneath the writing.
I have terrible penmanship, but always interested and impressed by people with the ability.
Try some fast-drying inks...

http://www.gouletpens.com/Shop_All_Bottled_Ink_s/1106.htm?searching=Y&sort=7&cat=1106&f-Fast-Drying=1303&show=30&page=1&brand=Noodler's

Rating - 100%
152   0   0
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Never even noticed before. I was planning on starting to make fountains. I've one. Didn't realize there was that big a following. I'm making rollerballs now.

So what does one look for in a fountain pen? Wood or acrylic? If wood, light or dark grain?

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
quality nib/internals... (people that buy fountain pens generally arent looking for "cheap".. they want high grade/high quality)...

well balanced, heavy weight (personal preference).. wood or acrylic or any other material works.. just make sure it has a little bit of heft to it..

all colors, shades, grains, etc I think are acceptable.. just depends on the customer.. my wife has a bunch of fountain pens.. pink, yellow, silver, white, etc... I've got a bunch.. mostly black, dark brown, etc.. (although my current favorite is a polished, stainless steel rotring..)..

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
quality nib/internals... (people that buy fountain pens generally arent looking for "cheap".. they want high grade/high quality)...

well balanced, heavy weight (personal preference).. wood or acrylic or any other material works.. just make sure it has a little bit of heft to it..

all colors, shades, grains, etc I think are acceptable.. just depends on the customer.. my wife has a bunch of fountain pens.. pink, yellow, silver, white, etc... I've got a bunch.. mostly black, dark brown, etc.. (although my current favorite is a polished, stainless steel rotring..)..
Thanx dave. There wasn't too many to choose from at the store. I picked up a few kits. Couple of high end kits are available tho. But before I drop that much money I'm gonna make these first.

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
This was in my dealnews email today:
Staples offers the Cross Bailey Medium Point Fountain Pen in Matte Black, model no. AT0456H-11MS/3, for $20. Plus, Staples Rewards members receive free shipping. (Not a member? It's free to sign up.) That's $30 off and a strong price for such a Cross Bailey fountain pen. It includes six black ink cartridges. Deal ends January 3.
Link to product: http://www.staples.com/Cross-Bailey-Fountain-Pen-Medium-Point-0-85mm-Matte-Black-Barrel-Each/product_1101930
Looks like I'll be picking this up at my local store. I've always loved nice pens and have done a fair amount of calligraphy when I was younger, but for some reason never shelled out for anything nice. At this price point though how can I not?!

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
fwiw, I bought the Cross from Staples a few months ago and found it to be cheapish and flimsy. Wish I'd have spent more money on a more significant pen. Try before you buy.

Rating - 92.3%
24   2   0
So then are most of you guys using them for "regular" writing or calligraphy? I recently picked up a Noodlers flex Ahab and it has been a blast! I unfortunately Started with Higgins ink in the damn thing which got all gummed up, but after a thorough cleaning and some Pelikann Royal Blue it works like a charm! You can check it in action here: and I am looking for some more pens/nibs with a good amount of flexibility.
Also as a lefty, it is a pain in the butt, but I end up using a different technique with each pen and style of writing.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I picked up a few kits. Couple of high end kits are available tho. But before I drop that much money I'm gonna make these first.
The kit you used in the pen for my wife was German made, and writes great... I dont think you need to go any higher end or more expensive than that unless you are trying to get into the serious "collector" type pen market where guys are dropping several thousand bucks for limited edition pens, etc..

If those German kits allow you to keep your pens cost effective... my recommendation is to stick with them unless someone specifically asks for something different..

fleabay and other places youll see a lot of really cheap, garbage grade, components out of China, Pakistan, etc.. the pens are $5... but you are definitely getting what you pay for.... stuff like that is what I would recommend avoiding.. no one wants to drop $50 on a decent fountain pen and see "Made in China" on the nib.. or go to write with a fine nib, and leave a start-stop trail of ink with little blobs all along the way...

The wife uses the pen you made for her daily right now (its become her "school" pen, and is what she does all of her homework and study with).. she has been super happy with the performance..

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
So then are most of you guys using them for "regular" writing or calligraphy? I recently picked up a Noodlers flex Ahab and it has been a blast! I unfortunately Started with Higgins ink in the damn thing which got all gummed up, but after a thorough cleaning and some Pelikann Royal Blue it works like a charm! You can check it in action here: and I am looking for some more pens/nibs with a good amount of flexibility.
Also as a lefty, it is a pain in the butt, but I end up using a different technique with each pen and style of writing.
I use mine for everyday writing..

I prefer pelikann ink.. Im also a lefty.. I find the pelikann dries quickly and I very rarely smear the ink (after learning how to position my hand better as well as selecting better grades of ink)..

Ive probably got two dozen or so fountain pens laying around at this point.. most of them are "daily" use pens that I just keep in the "pen cup" on my desk and grab when needed... I think all of them are lamy, cross, rotring, and parker.. Ive also got a handful of "nice" pens that I carry to meetings, etc... montblanc, visconti, etc..

I rarely ever use a rollerball or any other type of pen anymore.. other than the 4 or 5 "nice" pens I have collected over the years (got one of Grrrr's rollerballs... have a decent rotring.. a decent parker.. and a handmade that my parents gave me as a Christmas present several years ago thats made of burled maple.. and I've got a cross pen/pencil set stashed away somewhere that was a gift I received probably 25 years ago that I havent seen in a while..)...

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Thanx Dave. This pen I just did is a German Nib. Unfortunately the style pen I did for your wife has been discontinued. I was running out of options for a pen and pencil set. Fund a good pencil and no matching fountain pen. Find good fountain pen....etc.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have become a fountain pen guy over the past couple of years. I write a lot at work - okay, call slips for students and making notes on transcripts, but that still counts, right? LOL! I am known as the "fancy pen guy" by students and staff. I love being in a student/parent/ teachers kind of meeting and when they pass the paper around to sign with a cheapo ballpoint, I flick the pen away and sign with a flourish and in most cases with bizarrely-colored ink hahahaha!!!!

At work I have a Lamy Safari, a TWSBI Swipe with a Stub Nib, and two TWSBI Ecos, one with a custom ground architect nib.

I also have <ahem> a few pens at home... I don't have pics of most, but I'll post my most recent - a Montblanc Starwalker and one I picked up at the SF Pen Show last year - a custom resin I bought from Jonathan Brooks of Carolina Pen Co. He was at the show and tuned it up for me so it was ready to go right away.

Not pictured but high on my list - Diplomat Aero (M) and a Sailor Pro Gear (F). Oh, and there are others... talk about a slippery slope!

IMG_0007.jpgIMG_0008.jpgIMG_0009.jpgIMG_0959.jpgIMG_0970.JPGIMG_0972.JPGIMG_0973.JPGIMG_0974.JPG

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went to the San Francisco International Pen Show with Diamond Lion on Saturday. It was a good day, and I may or may not have picked up a bauble or two. Here's the haul ---

A bag from Rickshaw Bagworks

Retro 51 Seigaiha - an exclusive for Rickshaw

Gravitas Pens Universe

Schon Design Full Size Ultem

Carolina Pen Company / Jonathan Brooks custom resin

Desiderata Pen Co. BAMF

Which pen is mine? It is the one that says "Bad A$$ Motherfu**er on it"

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Picked up a new TWSBI Diamond 580ALR (Broad) for a work project...

IMG_3557.JPGIMG_3558.JPG

I'm going to start our department sending out handwritten postcards to students at home with positive messages, etc. Of course mine will be done with a fountain pen and bizarre ink colors. Next I need to finalize he design of the custom postcards and find local donors for ink and postcard stamps.