What's new

Freinds and Cigars?

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I had my best friend stop by about a half hour ago. I love the guy like a brother, I gave him a CAO 10th aniv. Perfecto on Fri. He wanted to try a milder cigar so that is what I gave him. He came over today cut it lit it and smoked it for about oh 5 minutes, put it down and said No I don't like it got anything else? He's my best friend so I don't want to piss him off, and so I said ok try this and gave him a Perdomo ESV 91' Aristocrata" (7" x 54) Connecticut wrap. And he's like ok, thanks I'll smoke it later with my wife she likes cigars too.

Anyways, The problem comes in that he know nothing about cigars, doesn't really like them either. But he want to buy some from me and smoke some of mine. He doesn't have a humi, or anything to keep them he's asked should I just throw it in the fridge? What should I do? I can't just tell him No, But I couldn't sell him good cigars when I know they would be ruined with no Humi.

It bothered me that he smoked it for five minutes and said he didn't want it anymore. He did it to me again last week only this time it was with a Monti #4 PC. That really bugged me, he smoked half and just left the rest, no reason just left it.

What can I do? He likes Really mild, smooth cigars. Should I buy a bunch of cigars that only he likes so when we get together he has his own little stash of something he'll smoke?

What are your thoughts guys?

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I had my best friend stop by about a half hour ago. I love the guy like a brother, I gave him a CAO 10th aniv. Perfecto on Fri. He wanted to try a milder cigar so that is what I gave him. He came over today cut it lit it and smoked it for about oh 5 minutes, put it down and said No I don't like it got anything else? He's my best friend so I don't want to piss him off, and so I said ok try this and gave him a Perdomo ESV 91' Aristocrata" (7" x 54) Connecticut wrap. And he's like ok, thanks I'll smoke it later with my wife she likes cigars too.

Anyways, The problem comes in that he know nothing about cigars, doesn't really like them either. But he want to buy some from me and smoke some of mine. He doesn't have a humi, or anything to keep them he's asked should I just throw it in the fridge? What should I do? I can't just tell him No, But I couldn't sell him good cigars when I know they would be ruined with no Humi.

It bothered me that he smoked it for five minutes and said he didn't want it anymore. He did it to me again last week only this time it was with a Monti #4 PC. That really bugged me, he smoked half and just left the rest, no reason just left it.

What can I do? He likes Really mild, smooth cigars. Should I buy a bunch of cigars that only he likes so when we get together he has his own little stash of something he'll smoke?

CBid. Reasonable cigars. Low prices. No guilt.

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I think you've got a couple options here kelly.

1) you could keep some smokes he likes so he has something he enjoys and not completely ruined when you guys get together.

2) you could offer to store whatever it is that he likes. this way, he's buying the smokes and your not wasting your time or money trying to find things he'll smoke.

3) buy him a nice piece or artight tupperware, set him up with a little piece of panty-hose with some heartfelt so he has a place to store his own smokes.

I completely understand your dilemna. smoking is a very social activity for me, and you definately want to share it with your best friend. My best friend got a small desktop from one of his clients who upgraded, and when he told me I sent him some smokes to throw in there.

about 3 weeks later he calls ma and asks me what they hygro should read "it's at around 45&#37;...that's ok right?" I sent him some heartfelt beads, told him how to use them and said unless he wants to invest in a digital, just keep the beads full and don;t pay attention to the POS analog unit he had.

just my &.02...take it for what it;s worth...hope I could help

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
than again...you could just tell him straight up what the deal is and that unless he's going to appreciate them...your not gonna pass of your favs to de smoked for 5 minutes or dried out before their enjoyed

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Yeah, but I don't want to hurt his feelings, It's not a huge deal. I want him to get into smoking Cigars, Just be a little more considerate while doing it. If you were given a cigar by a good friend and where smoking it with him, whould you smoke all of it even if it wasn't to your liking? I would, He's your best friend.

sarnone

Mithrandir
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Donk...the old saying goes "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me"....we've all learned this lesson the hard way.....understand the degree of cigar "aficianadoness" in who is asking for a cigar. The bible says, do not give pearls to swine! This is why I keep .40 cigars in the humi....I have gotten some nice compliments on them from friends who just care about having smoke swish around in their mouth.

ps.....I got burned handing out an Ashton aged maddie diplomatico that was snoke for only 10 minutes.....I actually saved it after my bud left and clipped it and smoked it myself....wasn't that bad.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to go with jrohrer on this one. I would let him buy his own smokes and if you have the room store them for him. I dont mind passing out faves as long as the person appreciates them.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Smoking just half a cigar isn't the worst, but 5 minutes isn't enough to judge a cigar by. Once you get past that first bit and a cigar starts going, thats when its character should be judged. If he does it again I would let him know that because obviously hes not too experienced of a smoker.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I had my best friend stop by about a half hour ago. I love the guy like a brother ...
You can choose your friends ... you're stuck with relatives. Figure out which category this guy belongs.

... I gave him a CAO 10th aniv. Perfecto on Fri. He wanted to try a milder cigar so that is what I gave him. He came over today cut it lit it and smoked it for about oh 5 minutes, put it down and said No I don't like it got anything else? He's my best friend so I don't want to piss him off, and so I said ok try this and gave him a Perdomo ESV 91' Aristocrata" (7" x 54) Connecticut wrap. And he's like ok, thanks I'll smoke it later with my wife she likes cigars too.
When I gift someone a cigar, I don't care if they smoke it for 5 min or until it's burning their fingers ... it's a gift. I do try to give cigars that match their tastes - but I know it's going to be hit or miss when they are a newer smoker.

However, when the giftee tosses my gift aside because it doesn't match his taste and then asks for a substitution, I would then offer the following remark ... "Sorry, but the rest of my stash has similiar flavors and strength. However, let's go to the cigar shop and I can offer other suggestions that you can try on your own."

I'm confused as you say he doesn't knows nothing about cigars and doesn't really like them ... and then later you say he likes really mild, smooth cigars. Maybe he just smokes to be social with other friends. Has he ever bought a cigar himself?

IMO, you should just tell him that you feel awkward giving him your cigars when you obviously have different tastes. However, if he wants to buy some that he likes, then you will gladly keep some in your humidor for his visits. If this suggestion doesn't fly and he just keeps mooching off of you ... then I suggest you re-examine this "friendship". :stickbeat

GWN

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My brother-in-law just became interested in cigars at the birth of his son two weeks ago. Bought a pack of White Owls which, surprise, surprise, he didn't like. We shared a few CCs last summer at his wedding, which he enjoyed very much. When we visited earlier this week, I stopped on the way and picked up everything for a simple Tupperdor, which I stocked with some inexpensive smokes from my humi. He was truly thrilled. Figure if he enjoys it .. great ... someone else to split boxes with. If not, oh well.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
For my non smoking ocassional cigar smoking friends I keep bundled cigars on hand. I always have a bundle of NC of Cuban Machine Mades on hand.

They have no idea and I am not wasting a Monte#2 or Opus X on someone who isnt going to enjoy it or even smoke it all.

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0

ok, a few things.

1. I have cigars in my humi for several friends that like the mild stuff, or stuff that's not in my taste. Just put em all in one box so you know where to get them when they come over or want to go out.

2. Most of those cigars are cheaper. Part of smoking cigars is being willing to help out. As his pallet develops he might start smoking the same stuff as you, and who knows, maybe he'll return the favor. The point is, its a great chance to hang out with your buddies. For me, it's worth a couple bucks to just hang out with them. I've probably given away 15-20 freebies to friends over the last month alone. Most of it is cheap crap, but I'll break out some hemis every once in awhile. It was worth it for the good times just hanging out. It's your call on that, though.

3. I have a friend in Lubbock that doesn't have the money to get a humi together and I haven't had a chance to get one together for him. I have him doing what I started with. All you need is a damp (and I mean pretty dry damp) paper towel and put it in a ziploc bag. That is plenty good to keep a cigar for up to a month. Just wet the paper towel and wring all the water out of it. I even kept a few cigars that way for a couple of months. You just need to check the paper towel every week or two.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I'm confused as you say he doesn't knows nothing about cigars and doesn't really like them ... and then later you say he likes really mild, smooth cigars. Maybe he just smokes to be social with other friends. Has he ever bought a cigar himself?

My friend has smoked a cigar from time to time. But not a social smoker, I'll pick him up a couple Dunhill whites, and a couple RYJ cedro. and a Couple of Rocky Patel Vintage 99'. Just a couple of real light mild smokes on hands.

Panicbound

Dankster
Rating - 99.1%
201   1   0

Was that the one that I included in our trade? If so, then Booooooooooooooooooooo I know a couple of :ninja: