What's new

friends that only smoke expensive sticks

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I too think he's missing out. I'm not going to waste my time trying to get him to try different stuff.
I think I should rebadge some stick to fuck with him.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
If that's what makes him happy then who cares what he smokes. His assertion is wrong that only expensive smokes are good, but he is entitled to his opinion. It isn't much different than guys that smoke only cuban cigars. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you are friends and hang out together, maybe a blind tasting to see what he thinks of a Padron maddie 3000 or similar cigar without the band. You could educate him that price does not necessarily equal quality. I remember one time being very excited about trying some Diamond Crown Maximus cigars and being totally disappointed with them. Total waste of money imo. Others might like them. To each his own I guess.

Kevin

Matthew

Tobacco Beetle
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Got to agree with Kevin. I'd chill out regarding his "expensive" cigars. His $15 price is just a point on a spectrum. Most of you wouldn't jump on the cheap vanilla-flavored Hav-a-Tampa bandwagon, but I've got friends who swear by them and think anyone that smokes a hand-rolled stick is a snob. We all are elitists on certain things at certain price points (clothes, beer, wine, music, etc).

Whether his choice is based on his perception of quality or on image doesn't matter - what does matter is what kind of person he is and if he "brags" about his expensive cigars.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Well said. I for instance, am viewed as elitist sometimes because I will only buy double ply toilet paper. Wo is me for not wanting james brown spots on my fingers.:dunno:
Two items I never go cheap on; Toilet paper and Socks. I stand and sit all day and don't want either part of me sore from cheap products.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
If your friend only chooses cigars based on price ... he sounds like someone who smokes more for status. There are many things in life where "you get what you pay for" is the mantra to follow ... but this is not always true for everything.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Yes I do agree with "to each his own", but there is a quote from a movie which chimes in............ "The sweet just isn't as sweet without the sour."

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Got to agree with Kevin. I'd chill out regarding his "expensive" cigars. His $15 price is just a point on a spectrum. Most of you wouldn't jump on the cheap vanilla-flavored Hav-a-Tampa bandwagon, but I've got friends who swear by them and think anyone that smokes a hand-rolled stick is a snob. We all are elitists on certain things at certain price points (clothes, beer, wine, music, etc).

Whether his choice is based on his perception of quality or on image doesn't matter - what does matter is what kind of person he is and if he "brags" about his expensive cigars.

Well said. :yes:

Rating - 100%
12   0   0

I see what your saying and I do agree, but remember this thread was questioning if expensive stick are indeed the $hit. Whenever I would tell him I have some very good stick that are a fraction of the price and that he should give them a try he told me the last one he smoked unwrapped on him.

I'm totally fine with him spending that kind of money, but I'm sure you guys would agree that you would take some pride in showing a bud another stick to add to the humi, they might love it just as much.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Utah, so I'm just lucky to find someone to smoke with. Next time you smoke an expensive cigar, save the band and you can pull the old switcheroo on him.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I pretty amazed this thread is still going on. Like I said earlier I think some of the expensive cigar are just amazing, while there are some cheaper ones that are also good. If someone looked at my humidor and broke it our on a per stick price I would probably be shocked. I don't think this makes me a snob, but I smoke what I like and since I don't smoke every day I want to make sure every time I smoke I have the best cigar for that situation.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
If someone looked at my humidor and broke it our on a per stick price I would probably be shocked. I don't think this makes me a snob, but I smoke what I like and since I don't smoke every day I want to make sure every time I smoke I have the best cigar for that situation.
That's how I look at it :yes:

Len___T

n0ob Phreak
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I would love to smoke PAM 64 and 26 on a consistent basis...but I love my JDN's 1970 Antano's...CI Yellow's...and Carlos Torano signature and virtuoso lines...I also love some of the PI line while others hate 'em lol...like has been stated in this thread...smoke what ya love/like lol...len