What's new

From HCM to Heartfelt - Thoughts?

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I’ll try to keep this as short as possible. Basically, I’ve been using HCM beads for a long time. Honestly, I’ve had zero problems with them over maybe 3 years. That said, I’m thinking of switching to HF beads. The reasoning is mostly because, although I haven’t had any “actual” issues, that the ambient RH% in my basement (where the humi is) is very low and so the humi hovers around 58% in the winter. I’m guessing this is due to opening the door, etc. But I will leave the door closed for weeks on end and it doesn’t come back any higher than 60%. Basically, I’d like to be able to more easily “charge” the beads. HCM it’s not an exact things, as you can change the RH that the beads control at. I figured it would be easier with HF. What I’m thinking then is that with 65% HF beads, in the winter (when the relative RH plummets) I can spritz the beads to maintain the RH and in the summer, I can dry some out to soak up any excess RH.

I’m probably over thinking all of this, but I don’t smoke much, so my collection sits stagnant (and is waiting for a time when I can smoke more).

Anyways, let me know your thoughts. I’m basically thinking in text here. And this wasn’t short at all…..hahaha

Thanks in advance!

-Paul

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
IMHO silica is silica is silica. 100% unscented silica kitty litter is you cheapest option but you have to train them. That said if your set on heartfelt they will do the job. I am less familiar with HCM beads.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I've heard nothing but good things about Heartfelt beads but couldnt you do the same thing with the HCM beads?

Maybe its a seal/air leak issue and your beads just cant keep up?

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
IMHO silica is silica is silica. 100% unscented silica kitty litter is you cheapest option but you have to train them. That said if your set on heartfelt they will do the job. I am less familiar with HCM beads.
HCM is not silica, so they are a different beast. You can't spritz them as that ruins them. It's a more difficult process to recharge them. And the RH they are set at can change if you do it improperly.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Despite the great fail of my Oliva 4s at the HERF (my bad, guys), I still stand behind Heartfelt. I forgot to charge mine by... a longggg time... and RH had only dropped to 58%.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Gotcha, I'm not that firmiliar with the HCM beads, just saw this "If the RH of the beads is not what you desire, you can simply raise or lower the RH of the beads to your desired level" on their website and figured it would be fairly easy.

Hard to beat Silica IMO, I've had good luck even with cheap kitty litter. Rh rebounds with in a matter of minutes even after having the door open for 10-20 minutes on an indecisive night finding a smoke.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
This is just my opinion..... There is no way in hell I would go from HCM back to HF because I was spraying HF beads almost monthly and with HCM I have only had to charge them twice in over 4 years. If your humidity is too low with HCM it sounds to me you need to add more humidification along with the HCM in the winter time, whether it be cat poop litter, HeartFail beads, a tub of distilled water, boveda packs, magic crystals or whatever you prefer. Personally, it would be a waste of my money to completely switch over when you can cheaply add additional humidification and "spritz" to your hearts content. :happy:

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
This is just my opinion..... There is no way in hell I would go from HCM back to HF because I was spraying HF beads almost monthly and with HCM I have only had to charge them twice in over 4 years. If your humidity is too low with HCM it sounds to me you need to add more humidification along with the HCM in the winter time, whether it be cat poop litter, HeartFail beads, a tub of distilled water, boveda packs, magic crystals or whatever you prefer. Personally, it would be a waste of my money to completely switch over when you can cheaply add additional humidification and "spritz" to your hearts content. :happy:
I'm very glad you brought this up! This was another option. Possibly add some 65% HF beads to supplement? Instead of completely switching, maybe I could use both? When spritzing the HF, it could perhaps charge the HCM? Thoughts?

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
In my 10 years of trying various methods, I stand behind kitty litter and boveda's. I run my wineador with kl and about 4 large boveda's. The KL, I haven't touched in forever. I have a rotation of boveda's that I charge.

I still use HF beads in my glass top 150 count with two large boveda's. Seems I have to spray them quite often and they need more attention. KL is a lot cheaper too.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I'm very glad you brought this up! This was another option. Possibly add some 65% HF beads to supplement? Instead of completely switching, maybe I could use both? When spritzing the HF, it could perhaps charge the HCM? Thoughts?
Yep, they are both 2 way. Oversaturated HF will be absorbed by under saturated HCM

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I have issues with HF in the winter also. You won't see any improvements on the switch. As stated above, you're better off adding more humidification. I have my humidors lined with Boveda packs at the moment to battle the dry air.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Before you buy any more HF or HCM, try to leave a few small shallow containers full of distilled water in the humi. Give it a few week and the beads will absorb the water and you should be right around 64 to 65 rh. I have about 8 pounds of HCM in my Humidor and got rid of all the HF cause over time they will mold, as mine did. I leave about 10 small cups (the kind you get sauce or dressing in for take out) through out my humi and refill about every 2 months.

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Before you buy any more HF or HCM, try to leave a few small shallow containers full of distilled water in the humi. Give it a few week and the beads will absorb the water and you should be right around 64 to 65 rh. I have about 8 pounds of HCM in my Humidor and got rid of all the HF cause over time they will mold, as mine did. I leave about 10 small cups (the kind you get sauce or dressing in for take out) through out my humi and refill about every 2 months.
I've used this method to recharge my wino