What's new

From HCM to Heartfelt - Thoughts?

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
So it may be beneficial to calibrate at 65 then? Perhaps a bit more accuracy?
If your life would depend on being precisely at 65, then yes. But hygrometer are one indication. Do you worry about temp all the same?

A calibrated hygrometer will be within a small percentage of RH, which is what we're looking for. It tells us where we stand. It's not magically bad when the RH is one percent off ;)

I aim for 67, and take zero action when I get anywhere between 64 and 71. If I reach extremes, then I add something to the equation. Since I've been doing that, all my cigars have smoked great. Except one Gurkha warpig, that tasted like crazy, but I have been told by the RH guru to not worry about it.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
If your life would depend on being precisely at 65, then yes. But hygrometer are one indication. Do you worry about temp all the same?

A calibrated hygrometer will be within a small percentage of RH, which is what we're looking for. It tells us where we stand. It's not magically bad when the RH is one percent off ;)

I aim for 67, and take zero action when I get anywhere between 64 and 71. If I reach extremes, then I add something to the equation. Since I've been doing that, all my cigars have smoked great. Except one Gurkha warpig, that tasted like crazy, but I have been told by the RH guru to not worry about it.
I don't worry about the small fluctuations. I'm sitting currently about 2 or 3 percent below the bottom of my acceptable range right now. I'd like to sit at 62/63 ideally. OK up to 65. Right now at 59....Haha.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
The more I keep typing, the more I realize that I'm worried about a very small change. But again. I just worry that I could be doing damage at an RH this low. That's all. Again, I don't want to sit on sticks thinking I'm aging them for years just for them to be flavorless nothingness

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I prefer 65 and up. In my weather, a cigar stored at 60 is likely to Crack when cutting...

But flavor wise, I think I remember reading that anything above 55 is safe.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0

It's a gurkha, that's how it tastes. RH doesn't help it.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
The more I keep typing, the more I realize that I'm worried about a very small change. But again. I just worry that I could be doing damage at an RH this low. That's all. Again, I don't want to sit on sticks thinking I'm aging them for years just for them to be flavorless nothingness
Just get KL and spray. Or bovedas. $10 will save you stress so do it.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
let me know if you need more after jfire's arrives..

Ive got 8lbs sitting in the bag doing nothing right now...

would be happy to fill up a SFR and send it your way..
Thanks brother! I'm also going to replace the gasket seal on the humidor. There's been a gap in the top corner that I lessened with tape, but I think at this point I'll do a replacement and see if I can't help it on that end as well.